Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Passing gas

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Monday, 28 November 2016 19:08:06 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have a cabinet gat heater that won't light. Gas is getting through
but the pilot light won't catch and I can not get the flame lit with a
lighter. I think it is in the clicker switch but have no idea where to
look or how to.

Anyone have expereince with the damn things. I have the idea the switch
got proressively worse at the end of last year and only found it had
completely failed after buying a refill cyclinder the weekend.

Tis a ****er!

Check the wire to the piezo igniter and makes sure the electrode is
clean and there no dirt that the spark can track back to earth.

How?

If the insulator between the central electrode and the casing of the heater
is dirty, electricity can leak over a low(ish) resistance path through the
dirt instead of causing a nice fat spark. Maybe clean the electrode and
insulator with WD40 to clean off any grot and also remove any moisture -
it's the same principle as trying to get a car started on a damp foggy
morning.

I'm worried about "I can not get the flame lit with a lighter" because that
makes me wonder if gas is even getting to the pilot light, irrespective of
how you ignite that gas (spark or match flame).