Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drone roof survey?

Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

Two downsides:
1. You might crash it into the roof and find it gets stuck up there.
You'll look foolish.
2. There are rules on where you can fly these, which I've never fully
understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:27, GB wrote:
On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

Two downsides:
1. You might crash it into the roof and find it gets stuck up there.
You'll look foolish.

True enough, I'd have to learn to fly one.

2. There are rules on where you can fly these, which I've never fully
understood.

Haven't looked yet, but I think at just over house height it should be
OK? Only 10 metres?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/11/2016 17:38, David Lang wrote:
On 25/11/2016 17:27, GB wrote:
On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

Two downsides:
1. You might crash it into the roof and find it gets stuck up there.
You'll look foolish.

True enough, I'd have to learn to fly one.

2. There are rules on where you can fly these, which I've never fully
understood.

Haven't looked yet, but I think at just over house height it should be
OK? Only 10 metres?

It's the other way around, ie whether you are too close to people. It
may be okay on private land, with the owner's permission.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:27, GB wrote:

Two downsides:
1. You might crash it into the roof and find it gets stuck up there.
You'll look foolish.

True but can mostly be dealt with by (a) insurance, (b) carrying ladders
and fishing rod on the van, and (c) thick skin

2. There are rules on where you can fly these, which I've never fully
understood.

Yep -but AIUI the rule against flying near buildings etc are for the hoi
polloi. But Dave could seek permission from the CCA for his operations
by getting qualified. AIUI not cheap - but I think it'd mean he could
put "Drone Pilot" on his van/website/etc

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/11/2016 17:49, Robin wrote:
On 25/11/2016 17:27, GB wrote:

Two downsides:
1. You might crash it into the roof and find it gets stuck up there.
You'll look foolish.

True but can mostly be dealt with by (a) insurance, (b) carrying ladders
and fishing rod on the van, and (c) thick skin

2. There are rules on where you can fly these, which I've never fully
understood.

Yep -but AIUI the rule against flying near buildings etc are for the hoi
polloi. But Dave could seek permission from the CCA for his operations
by getting qualified. AIUI not cheap - but I think it'd mean he could
put "Drone Pilot" on his van/website/etc

It's a growing business.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

The downside I can think of is if you're offering to do the survey, that
will incur a liability should the survey prove defective.

OTOH if you were offering an inspection service where you provide
pictures but no advice, that might be ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:54, Clive George wrote:
On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

The downside I can think of is if you're offering to do the survey, that
will incur a liability should the survey prove defective.

That's what professional indemnity insurance is for.

We have experimented with a drone for the inspection of aerials and
dishes that are on roofs where access would be expensive, needing
machinery or scaffolding. It's all right I suppose, but there are
limitations. You can't test the security of things by getting hold and
wobbling them, you can't really see small details like cable damage, and
there's always the risk that you might have to pay for the access
equipment just to get the drone back.

I don't think you'd be able to see whether flashing was intact or
whether ridge tiles were insecure.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25-Nov-16 5:23 PM, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

You need permission from the CAA to fly a drone for commercial purposes.
For this use, unless you limit yourself to surveying isolated country
houses, you would also need that to include specific permission to do
the following, which are otherwise banned:

Fly over or within 150m of a congested area, which is defined as 'any
area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for
residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'

Fly within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure that is not
under your control.

Take off and land within 30 metres of any person, other than yourself or
any person under your control.

A video camera on a long stick would probably be a lot simpler.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 18:32, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Good use for that thrown away golf ball retriever I picked up, it goes
out to 6 metres, so with a step ladder and a suitable camera .............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Lang" wrote in message
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the roof/chimney
stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

like that is going to find nail sickness...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25-Nov-16 7:53 PM, Jimbo in the near of Hawick ... wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the roof/chimney
stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

like that is going to find nail sickness...tee hee

If you can't see signs of that from the ground, it probably isn't
advanced enough to be a problem.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

Very difficult to get decent close ups of a possible problem area. Unless
it is a very good drone with a very good camera. And a good pilot.

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure it could done. Is probably illegal but if you check with the
immediate neighbours and offer them a free video I doubt you would get any
problems provided you can demonstrate you can fly the thing.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David Lang" wrote in message
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the roof/chimney
stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 17:23, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

Much cheaper and safer to do what I did - a couple of extendable
aluminium poles (as used for upstairs windows) joined together, a cheap
USB endoscope
http://tinyurl.com/endocam
or similar, and a laptop.

Ive also used it to check my gutters.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:02:16 +0000, Andy Bennet wrote:

a cheap USB endoscope
http://tinyurl.com/endocam

Mmm, nice, 2 million *Poxels*

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 6:32 PM, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Can that be a flying stick? :-)

Underwater Drone, ~$600 soon to be available Leon Fisk Metalworking 5 October 16th 16 12:27 PM
OT Ambulance drone harry UK diy 27 November 12th 15 11:20 AM
drone massacre - its for the children Frank[_17_] Home Repair 0 December 15th 12 11:46 PM
OT Drone wars. harry Home Repair 16 June 1st 12 07:15 AM
Drone from water pipes greg leece UK diy 1 May 7th 05 05:24 PM