Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Drone roof survey?

On 25-Nov-16 5:23 PM, David Lang wrote:
Just had a thought.

If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the
roof/chimney stack?

That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair.

It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a video camera, not that much
money, I could do a video survey of the roof/chimney stack for not too
much. Easy money & I get to play with a drone!

Not done much research, just an idea. Any thoughts?

You need permission from the CAA to fly a drone for commercial purposes.
For this use, unless you limit yourself to surveying isolated country
houses, you would also need that to include specific permission to do
the following, which are otherwise banned:

Fly over or within 150m of a congested area, which is defined as 'any
area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for
residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'

Fly within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure that is not
under your control.

Take off and land within 30 metres of any person, other than yourself or
any person under your control.

A video camera on a long stick would probably be a lot simpler.

Colin Bignell