Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default That's the CH fixed then

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 18:08:01 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

More likely £900 call-out, 50 quid for hitting the pump and £650 for
knowing what bit to hit. Oh, all plus VAT of course. ;-)
I know what they charge because I'm a top libel lawyer currently
retraining as a plumber for the enhanced income and social status.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW writes:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

My shower pump is currently in need of exactly that before each shower.
The little flow detection magnet in the hot pipe gets stuck in the no
flow position. This doesn't stop the pump coming on because the one in
the cold water side moves and triggers the reed switch, but the hot
side one blocks the hot flow until dislodged by a thump.

I took it to bits, but it's impossible to get to the bit where the
magnets are to clean it (solvent welded parts). Descalers and other
liquid cleaners had no effect.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 21 November 2016 10:10:43 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
ARW writes:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

My shower pump is currently in need of exactly that before each shower.
The little flow detection magnet in the hot pipe gets stuck in the no
flow position. This doesn't stop the pump coming on because the one in
the cold water side moves and triggers the reed switch, but the hot
side one blocks the hot flow until dislodged by a thump.

I took it to bits, but it's impossible to get to the bit where the
magnets are to clean it (solvent welded parts). Descalers and other
liquid cleaners had no effect.

Hopefully external switches can sort it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 17:03, ARW wrote:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

I do this automatically every year, end of September time.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote in news11pmj$fsg$1@dont-
email.me:

On 20/11/16 17:03, ARW wrote:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

I do this automatically every year, end of September time.

Another Dave

Glad mine automatically runs for 5 mins a day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 19:59:18 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 18:08:01 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

More likely £900 call-out, 50 quid for hitting the pump and £650 for
knowing what bit to hit. Oh, all plus VAT of course. ;-)
I know what they charge because I'm a top libel lawyer currently
retraining as a plumber for the enhanced income and social status.

The joke would've been more believable if you had stuck to the original
script and not substituted £s for $s (and not mentioned VAT). :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/16 17:03, ARW wrote:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

I do this automatically every year, end of September time.

Another Dave

Glad mine automatically runs for 5 mins a day.

Mine has stored HW so runs the pump for that anyway. And cycles the
diverter valve at switch on too. So I don't get any nasty surprises when
the heating comes on after a period of not being used.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/20/2016 6:08 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:03:51 +0000, ARW
wrote:

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

I was going to suggest that! There's a story, doubtless apocryphal,
about someone like Trevithick or Bolton doing the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard
with a hammer.

Job done

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what
to hit and where to hit it!

I was going to suggest that! There's a story, doubtless apocryphal,
about someone like Trevithick or Bolton doing the same.

I did read something about somebody being charged 10 shillings and six pence
for a plumber to change a tap washer.
When he moaned at the plumber he was told:
6 pence for the washer.
10 shillings for knowing how to change it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:26:42 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I did read something about somebody being charged 10 shillings and six
pence for a plumber to change a tap washer.
When he moaned at the plumber he was told:
6 pence for the washer.
10 shillings for knowing how to change it.

Er, how long ago did you read this, Pounder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:26:42 +0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I did read something about somebody being charged 10 shillings and
six pence for a plumber to change a tap washer.
When he moaned at the plumber he was told:
6 pence for the washer.
10 shillings for knowing how to change it.

Er, how long ago did you read this, Pounder?

Could be here somewhere.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...Q/CEx4L-K6bXUJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

It's all about knowing "where to hit it".

Last night I got a phone call at about 10pm saying that I had to attend
to a faulty lift at a medical centre at 8am in this morning.

**** knows what the engineers on site had been doing yesterday
afternoon. It took me 5 minutes to find the faulty contactor.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes

wrote:

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

It's all about knowing "where to hit it".

Last night I got a phone call at about 10pm saying that I had to attend
to a faulty lift at a medical centre at 8am in this morning.

**** knows what the engineers on site had been doing yesterday
afternoon. It took me 5 minutes to find the faulty contactor.

Probably following the instructions in the fault diagnosis manual.

Some years ago, the electric cooling fan on my car radiator wouldn't
stop, even though the ignition was off, engine was off and car was
stationary. The only way I could stop it was to pull one of the leads
off the fan unit. It was pretty obvious to me that the points on the
relay that switches in the fan had welded, and I mentioned this when I
took it in to be repaired. Took them ages to find the fault, simply
because they plugged in their computer to tell them what was wrong,
and it didn't, so they were stumped.

That's the trouble with the younger generation: they don't know how
stuff actually works, and rely on something, a manual, a computer,
whatever, to tell them what to do, but they don't understand the
basics and can't seem to think for themselves to work out what's
wrong.

I'll bet it was a 2008/9 Fiesta:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

**** knows what the engineers on site had been doing yesterday
afternoon. It took me 5 minutes to find the faulty contactor.

Probably following the instructions in the fault diagnosis manual.

There was not one. There was a wiring diagram which I can post along
with a picture of the control unit if you want to show how easy my
diagnosis was.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 November 2016 21:47:10 UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
ARW writes:
Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

My shower pump is currently in need of exactly that before each shower.
The little flow detection magnet in the hot pipe gets stuck in the no
flow position. This doesn't stop the pump coming on because the one in
the cold water side moves and triggers the reed switch, but the hot
side one blocks the hot flow until dislodged by a thump.

I took it to bits, but it's impossible to get to the bit where the
magnets are to clean it (solvent welded parts). Descalers and other
liquid cleaners had no effect.

Hopefully external switches can sort it.

I bought a couple of flow switches, and the idea was to cut the
little grill out which holds the existing ones captive, free them
into the waste bin, and use pipe ones instead.
As yet, haven't got around to doing it.

When I did this I ignored the built in ones, ignored the control stuff and just ran the motor & new switch & thermal wotsit in series. Simples.

Rapid do a flow switch that claims mains ratings. It's not mains suitable at all imho.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW writes:
[...]

The problem in this case is the hot one actually blocks the hot flow
when it doesn't move - you get a cold power shower, even though the
pump kicks in.

--
Andrew Gabriel

So that fixed it then? Adrian UK diy 1 August 14th 15 07:16 PM
Got it fixed!!! Herm Home Repair 11 August 25th 10 05:42 PM
Can this 12 V TV be fixed Nowhere Electronics Repair 12 July 18th 07 02:24 AM
I fixed my TV. Now I'm sorry I did it. [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 4th 05 07:23 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM