Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default That's the CH fixed then

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 20:55:31 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 20/11/2016 18:08, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 17:03:51 +0000, ARW
wrote:

Just had a call from a neighbour with no HW or CH.

Potterton HE plus boiler.

Took me 30 seconds to decide to hit the pump in the airing cupboard with
a hammer.

Job done

And when he complains about the bill, you can tell him it was £30 for
the call out fee, £5 for hitting the pump, and £65 for knowing what to
hit and where to hit it!

It's all about knowing "where to hit it".

Last night I got a phone call at about 10pm saying that I had to attend
to a faulty lift at a medical centre at 8am in this morning.

**** knows what the engineers on site had been doing yesterday
afternoon. It took me 5 minutes to find the faulty contactor.

Probably following the instructions in the fault diagnosis manual.

Some years ago, the electric cooling fan on my car radiator wouldn't
stop, even though the ignition was off, engine was off and car was
stationary. The only way I could stop it was to pull one of the leads
off the fan unit. It was pretty obvious to me that the points on the
relay that switches in the fan had welded, and I mentioned this when I
took it in to be repaired. Took them ages to find the fault, simply
because they plugged in their computer to tell them what was wrong,
and it didn't, so they were stumped.

That's the trouble with the younger generation: they don't know how
stuff actually works, and rely on something, a manual, a computer,
whatever, to tell them what to do, but they don't understand the
basics and can't seem to think for themselves to work out what's
wrong.

I'll bet it was a 2008/9 Fiesta:-)

--
Tim Lamb