Moi

Default Washer/Dryer doesn't dry

Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry for
120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It takes
a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably dry.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the manual
that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably this
just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems worse
lately.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Lurch

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:25:19 GMT, "Moi" wrote:

Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry for
120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It takes
a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably dry.

Sounds like the heater or a stat that is at fault. Does the machine
even get warm, chances are that it is not drying them at all, they'd
probably dry quicker on the radiator!
Could be something more complex but check the obvious fist, check for
power at the heater element.
Check all the airways are clear and that the condensor is clean,
empty, unblocked etc.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the manual
that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably this
just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems worse
lately.

Have you had it from new?
In simple terms the moisture in the clothes is dropped into a
resorvoir then pumped into the waste.
I personally wouldn't buy an Indesit, too many come from Indesit not
working before we even plug them in!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Archie

| Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.
|
| When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them
on to dry for
| 120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry
properly. It takes
| a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are
reasonably dry.

| This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says
in the manual
| that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air
(presumably this
| just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but
seems worse
| lately.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Andy

Andy, I don't know this machine. However:

1. Does it feel warm at all inside? - heater working? How about
the fan (can you hear it)? - check your house electric meter
after switching on the dryer/heater - the meter should go round
showing electricity usage!

2. Does the wash cycle pump water out OK? Then, check that are
all pipes/tubes clear from beginning to end (including condenser
to machine drain pipe).

3. Is inside condenser clear too? if you can check it of course

NOTE: Please do NOT leave machine on the Dry cycle for so long!!

Cheers
Archie

MiniEmma

"Moi" wrote in message
Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry

for
120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It

takes
a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably

dry.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the

manual
that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably

this
just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems

worse
lately.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

i have the exact same machine and have in the past had the blower replaced,
within warranty period. Does the window get hot when drying?

did you know the machine has a 5 year parts warranty? but i think you have
to pay the man to come out and tell you what you need, no self diagnosis!

to be honest, i don't use it for drying anymore coz it's never been great.

MiniEmma

Moi

Thanks guys.

It does get warm, but nowhere near as hot as I seem to remember. Would that
be the blower then, or the heating element?

I can hear something which I assume is the fan, as soon as I turn on the
dryer, but before the drum starts spinning.

Either way, I'll check out the warranty situation. Cheers.

Andy

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

"Moi" wrote in message
[...]

Moi

Phew - £95 callout fee incl. labour! Apparently replacement parts *are*
free on top of that, and according to the guy at Service Team they are only
free under warranty if I use Service Team to do the work. Does that sound
right to you guys?

My hope is I can find a cheaper company but still get the warranty parts
free. Any suggestions?

* I have just put the dryer on again to test what you suggested, and the
glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid air feel around
the liquid tray and inside.
* Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down (it sounds
like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just before it's about
to destroy Yavin, right?!)
* My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on, but not a great
deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.

What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit? Heating
element perhaps?

Cheers guys.

Andy

"MiniEmma" wrote in message

"Moi" wrote in message
[...]

Archie

"Moi" |
| * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you
suggested, and the
| glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid
air feel around
| the liquid tray and inside.
| * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down
(it sounds
| like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just
before it's about
| to destroy Yavin, right?!)
| * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on,
but not a great
| deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.
|
| What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit?
Heating
| element perhaps?

Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe:

You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and see if
the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or even
see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you
submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for only a
SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan then
it's should be running).

The heater should have a noticeable effect on the electricity
meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your electric
kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no?

Moi

The electricity meter doesn't whiz round anywhere near as much as if I turn
on the kettle.
The inside of the machine doesn't heat up when on dry.

Would you conclude this is a failed heating element?

If so, is it easy to fix DIY?

Thanks Archie.

Andy

"Archie" wrote in message

"Moi" |
| * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you
suggested, and the
| glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid
air feel around
| the liquid tray and inside.
| * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down
(it sounds
| like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just
before it's about
| to destroy Yavin, right?!)
| * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on,
but not a great
| deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.
|
| What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit?
Heating
| element perhaps?

Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe:

You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and see if
the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or even
see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you
submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for only a
SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan then
it's should be running).

The heater should have a noticeable effect on the electricity
meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your electric
kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no?

Moi

PS: It does heat up very hot when washing, just not when drying. Does
washer and dryer share the same heating element? If so, it works, and I'm
confused again!

"Moi" wrote in message
The electricity meter doesn't whiz round anywhere near as much as if I

turn
on the kettle.
The inside of the machine doesn't heat up when on dry.

Would you conclude this is a failed heating element?

If so, is it easy to fix DIY?

Thanks Archie.

Andy

"Archie" wrote in message

"Moi" |
| * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you
suggested, and the
| glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm, humid
air feel around
| the liquid tray and inside.
| * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power down
(it sounds
| like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just
before it's about
| to destroy Yavin, right?!)
| * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it on,
but not a great
| deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.
|
| What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the culprit?
Heating
| element perhaps?

Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe:

You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and see if
the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or even
see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you
submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for only a
SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan then
it's should be running).

The heater should have a noticeable effect on the electricity
meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your electric
kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no?

Archie

Andy

The wash/water heating element is usually in a straight folded
shape (arm length) and sits down the BOTTOM of machine/wash tub,
because that's where the water collects during wash.

The dryer heater more likely is on TOP of machine/tub (to protect
it against water leaks) & is usually small & compact (like those
fine-wire electric heaters/fan heaters at home), and so is
completely different - the heater fan is often next to or is an
integral part of the dryer heater unit (much like a hair-dryer
all in one compact unit), blowing warm air into the tub - this is
the typical design anyway.

I suggest a service engineer to do this - ask around or seek a
local repair shop/engineer if you're overcome by the first
expensive repair figure - some of these service companies are a
pain when it comes to charging people - people must start
complaining to change these ridiculous situations - it looks as
if the parts are free in 'theory' and the money is recovered
through high labour charge!!

"Moi" wrote in message
| PS: It does heat up very hot when washing, just not when
drying. Does
| washer and dryer share the same heating element? If so, it
works, and I'm
| confused again!
|
| "Moi" wrote in message
| The electricity meter doesn't whiz round anywhere near as
much as if I
| turn
| on the kettle.
| The inside of the machine doesn't heat up when on dry.
|
| Would you conclude this is a failed heating element?
|
| If so, is it easy to fix DIY?
|
| Thanks Archie.
|
| Andy
|
| "Archie" wrote in message

| "Moi" |
| | * I have just put the dryer on again to test what you
| suggested, and the
| | glass is *not* hot, but there is a very slightly warm,
humid
| air feel around
| | the liquid tray and inside.
| | * Furthermore when I hit OFF, I can hear the fan power
down
| (it sounds
| | like when the guy on the Death Star pulls that lever just
| before it's about
| | to destroy Yavin, right?!)
| | * My electricity meter does speed up slightly with it
on,
| but not a great
| | deal and not as much as if I turn a few lights on.
| |
| | What does this troubleshooting suggest to you is the
culprit?
| Heating
| | element perhaps?
| |

| Andy, if the fan is pushing air out through the drain pipe:
|
| You could try pouring some hot water/steam inside drum and
see if
| the fan is pushes any out through the pipes to outside - or
even
| see any small air bubbles come out of drain pipe when you
| submersed its end SLIGHTLY in a jug/bucket of water, for
only a
| SHORT time when the fan is running (if you can hear the fan
then
| it's should be running).
|
| The heater should have a noticeable effect on the
electricity
| meter, no? - for comparison, try the same with your
electric
| kettle, the effect on the meter should be comparable, no?

Sue

"Moi" wrote in message
Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry

for
120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It

takes
a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably

dry.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the

manual
that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably

this
just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems

worse
lately.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

My washer dryer has just been repaired for this very thing, turns out there
was a ball of fluff in the drainage pipe or whatever you call it in the back
of the machine, the bloke had to hook it out with a bent wire coat hanger.
Although the fan was still coming on there was no heat, the ball of fluff
was enough to cause the heater to cut out it seems.
hope thats vaguely helpful, could be the same thing
Suze

MiniEmma

"Moi" wrote in message
Hi, I have the Indesit Omega 1200 (WDG1295W) Washer/Dryer.

When I have a relatively small load of socks etc. and put them on to dry

for
120 mins. following a thorough spin-dry, they do not dry properly. It

takes
a total of 6 x 120 min. sessions (12 hours!) before they are reasonably

dry.

This is a washer/dryer with no air exhaust port, it just says in the

manual
that it uses the water expulsion pipe to get rid of the air (presumably

this
just comes out of your sink hole). It has always been bad, but seems

worse
lately.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi again

My husband has just reminded me that we had more than 1 visit from the
Indesit repair man about the dryer part of the washer/dryer - within the
first year!!

As well as having to replace the blower, he had to DRILL OUT a metal filter
plate of some kind, he told us it was an Indesit modification because they
all cause problems!!

Hope this helps.

MiniEmma xxx