Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Default The bells at York

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/16 04:16, Bill Wright wrote:
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

Bill

Having been a resident of York (OK ****ed student) I most certainly have
signed it!

Can you give us some background? Comments suggest new Dean is a ****er
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Bill Wright wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!"

Alternatively keep them silent ...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-noise-pollution-from-church-bells

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/2016 04:16, Bill Wright wrote:
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

Bill

I have just signed too.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/2016 04:16, Bill Wright wrote:
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

Having lived in another cathedral city, and very much within earshot of
the bells, I would not want them stopped, but some days they went on and
on and on... Extremely tedious and annoying after an hour or more.

Wouldn't be so bad if they rang out a tune of some sort...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

In message , polygonum
writes

Having lived in another cathedral city, and very much within earshot of
the bells, I would not want them stopped, but some days they went on
and on and on... Extremely tedious and annoying after an hour or more.

Wouldn't be so bad if they rang out a tune of some sort...

I don't mind peals of bells, but I've rarely been able to discern any
sort of tune. It wouldn't be too had if they put out a nice, steady
rhythm - but the clangs are usually all jerky.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/2016 10:26, Ian Jackson wrote:

I don't mind peals of bells, but I've rarely been able to discern any
sort of tune. It wouldn't be too had if they put out a nice, steady
rhythm - but the clangs are usually all jerky.

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

My observation is that either ALL bell ringers are failed musicians who
cannot hold a tune, the bells are only 'played' to drive off the devil
or they should not be considered as a musical instruments - or a
combination of all three. Its much the same with bagpipes. Considered by
the Scots as a weapon of war but some fool thought they could get a
pleasant tune from them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

The daft part for me is that while any new ways of working are being sorted
out, I see no harm at all to allowing the current people to carry on
ringing. Its just some stupid person jobsworth type again.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to ring!"
and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

I that doesn't get you, R4 joins the World Service which remains a
spoken service which is fine for dropping off to ... until some schools
"music and movement" programme wakes you up at about 3am.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15 Oct 2016 08:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!"

Alternatively keep them silent ...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-noise-pollution-from-church-bells

Indeed yes.

--
Flying on Per Ardua ad Astra
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/16 10:47, alan_m wrote:
On 15/10/2016 10:26, Ian Jackson wrote:

I don't mind peals of bells, but I've rarely been able to discern any
sort of tune. It wouldn't be too had if they put out a nice, steady
rhythm - but the clangs are usually all jerky.

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

My observation is that either ALL bell ringers are failed musicians who
cannot hold a tune, the bells are only 'played' to drive off the devil
or they should not be considered as a musical instruments

Of course church bells - rung the English way as changes - are not a
musical instrument.

If you stopped being upset that they are not, you might get a shade more
interest out of listening.

You will be a lot more sorry if this country ever goes fully Islam.

http://www.thatsfake.com/birmingham-...5-times-a-day/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3jNZvlOLsA

Not even communist Soviet union abused public address systems as badly.

- or a
combination of all three. Its much the same with bagpipes. Considered by
the Scots as a weapon of war but some fool thought they could get a
pleasant tune from them.

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/16 11:12, Andy Burns wrote:
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

I that doesn't get you, R4 joins the World Service which remains a
spoken service which is fine for dropping off to ... until some schools
"music and movement" programme wakes you up at about 3am.

Worse is to leave the TV on low and be woken at 4 a.m. by extremely loud
adverts fir nutri********, slimming and fitness equipment and - well
there was something else - oh yeah. Pop songs of the 50s and 60s, the
complete catalogue.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

Bells on Sunday are recorded by members of the public and sent in to the
BBC. And as the name suggests, the only time they are played at night is
on Sunday. But it's the bum note on Sailing By which stops me dropping
off. ;-)

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 04:16:34 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Thank you!

Thank you!

Signed

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

Bells on Sunday are recorded by members of the public and sent in to the
BBC. And as the name suggests, the only time they are played at night is
on Sunday. But it's the bum note on Sailing By which stops me dropping
off. ;-)

I wasn't aware of the bum note. However, the pitch of Sailing By does
seem to fluctuate (wow) - like an old tape recording where either the
tape or the drive belt (or both) has stretched. The theme tune to Doctor
Zhivago was rather similar.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2016 12:46, Ian Jackson wrote:

I wasn't aware of the bum note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hvk0x

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/16 13:17, Robin wrote:
On 15/10/2016 12:46, Ian Jackson wrote:

I wasn't aware of the bum note.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01hvk0x

First time I've ever heard the bass on that!

all women"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 04:16:34 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...-minster-bell-

ringers-to-ring

I heard about this. There is clearly some heavy politics behind this -
I'd love to know the inside story.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 04:16:34 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...-minster-bell-

ringers-to-ring

I heard about this. There is clearly some heavy politics behind this -
I'd love to know the inside story.

My wife. on hearing the story, said " The Dean must be a woman - they don't
know how to manage".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various
UK churches and they are often played late at night just as one is
dropping off to sleep.

Bells on Sunday are recorded by members of the public and sent in to
the BBC. And as the name suggests, the only time they are played at
night is on Sunday. But it's the bum note on Sailing By which stops me
dropping off. ;-)

I wasn't aware of the bum note. However, the pitch of Sailing By does
seem to fluctuate (wow) - like an old tape recording where either the
tape or the drive belt (or both) has stretched. The theme tune to Doctor
Zhivago was rather similar.

You do need a radio you can hear the bass on. Maybe not with some bedroom
radios. About 2/3rds in, the bass plays a bum note - then nothing for a
couple of bars before starting again.

IIRC the story, the piece was recorded in one take when there was some
time left at the end of a recording session. So says quite a bit for pro
musicians that it sounds as good as it does, if that was the first they
saw of it.

No wow here. I've got the original on a mood music CD somewhere - and it's
a very decent recording. But I've no idea how the individual announcers
played it in over the years, especially the 'back timed' versions. It's
quite possible they used carts at one time, and they could certainly wow.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Bugger that. We do change ringing in this country, much better. I've
heard continental bells trying to do a tune, rather hard with only
(say) six notes. It just sounds stupid.

And if you don't like village church bells, don't move to a village.

Church about a mile away was popular for funerals. And on some, they
tolled a 'bell'. But sadly, via a speaker, wound up to severe distortion
point. Rather like those calls to prayer you hear in some countries.

Not heard it recently, so hopefully the speaker got buried too.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

IIRC the story, the piece was recorded in one take when there was some
time left at the end of a recording session. So says quite a bit for pro
musicians that it sounds as good as it does, if that was the first they
saw of it.

There is another story - that it was a deliberate mistake on _that_
recording leaving another, perfectly accurate, recording to be broadcast
to tell the subs to prepare for war without the Red team noticing any
special comms

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If any reader thinks bell ringing in the UK is not an art then they
should try the awful row that they call bell ringing in France.
Suicidal feelings ain't the word for it!

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:

IIRC the story, the piece was recorded in one take when there was some
time left at the end of a recording session. So says quite a bit for pro
musicians that it sounds as good as it does, if that was the first they
saw of it.

There is another story - that it was a deliberate mistake on _that_
recording leaving another, perfectly accurate, recording to be broadcast
to tell the subs to prepare for war without the Red team noticing any
special comms

You've been watching too much Trump. ;-)

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , polygonum
wrote:

On 15/10/2016 04:16, Bill Wright wrote:
I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

Having lived in another cathedral city, and very much within earshot of the bells,
I would not want them stopped, but some days they went on and on and on...
Extremely tedious and annoying after an hour or more.

Wouldn't be so bad if they rang out a tune of some sort...

Bugger that. We do change ringing in this country, much better. I've
heard continental bells trying to do a tune, rather hard with only
(say) six notes. It just sounds stupid.

And if you don't like village church bells, don't move to a village.

So, another one who thinks anyone who doesn't like church bells shouldn't live
within about half a mile of any church.

That's really quite difficult in the UK.

But ain't that just typical of the absolute arrogance of the bellringing fraternity?
No hint of appreciating that some people don't like them. No understanding that
they are a bloody nuisance. And no understanding that they are in fact breaking the
law.

They are louts of the aural world, just as I would be if I played gangsta rap at the
same volume and for the same duration.

All that matters to them is what they want to do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:
So, another one who thinks anyone who doesn't like church bells
shouldn't live within about half a mile of any church.

That's really quite difficult in the UK.

But ain't that just typical of the absolute arrogance of the bellringing
fraternity? No hint of appreciating that some people don't like them.
No understanding that they are a bloody nuisance. And no understanding
that they are in fact breaking the law.

Very difficult to find anywhere in the UK without considerable background
noise during the day. Traffic. Planes. Kids playing. Even nature in one
form or another.

Just how often does this bell ringing take place that you find it
offensive?

--
*If at first you don't succeed, try management *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:
So, another one who thinks anyone who doesn't like church bells
shouldn't live within about half a mile of any church.

That's really quite difficult in the UK.

But ain't that just typical of the absolute arrogance of the bellringing
fraternity? No hint of appreciating that some people don't like them.
No understanding that they are a bloody nuisance. And no understanding
that they are in fact breaking the law.

Very difficult to find anywhere in the UK without considerable background
noise during the day. Traffic. Planes. Kids playing. Even nature in one
form or another.

Just how often does this bell ringing take place that you find it
offensive?

He's busy looking for Esmeralda and will get back to you ASAP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal

On 15/10/16 16:22, Norman Wells wrote the uisual load of bolloo9cks cf:

So, another one who thinks anyone who doesn't like church bells
shouldn't live within about half a mile of any church.

Any church with bells, that actually rings them

I live within half a mile of three churches, No bells.

That's really quite difficult in the UK.

No, its actually harder tro live away from a mosqiue than a church with
bells.

But ain't that just typical of the absolute arrogance of the bellringing
fraternity? No hint of appreciating that some people don't like them.
No understanding that they are a bloody nuisance. And no understanding
that they are in fact breaking the law.

They are louts of the aural world, just as I would be if I played
gangsta rap at the same volume and for the same duration.

Wait till the country is under sharia law.

All that matters to them is what they want to do.

AS it is to you, it seems.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/2016 13:32, charles wrote:

My wife. on hearing the story, said " The Dean must be a woman - they don't
know how to manage".

It just goes to prove that the church were correct in attempting to
exclude women from positions of power with their organisation

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

I'm curious to have an appreciation as to why you think this is
important. It is a genuine question and I assume you are not a York
bellringer, though you may be of course in which case you'd have a
vested interested.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

Bill Wright wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!"

Alternatively keep them silent ...

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-noise-pollution-from-church-bells

Indeed yes.

As is often the case, the Pythons had it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBBlRB1HH2g
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"He who will not reason is a bigot;
he who cannot is a fool;
he who dares not is a slave."
- Sir William Drummond

Above all things, use your mind.
Don't be that bigot, fool, or slave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast,uk.legal

wrote:

[...]

********. I like bells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

I that doesn't get you, R4 joins the World Service which remains a spoken
service which is fine for dropping off to ... until some schools "music
and movement" programme wakes you up at about 3am.

It shouldnt be hard to organise a decent system that
turns the radio off when you are asleep. Fades it down
over a few minutes so that doesnt wake you up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

I'm curious to have an appreciation as to why you think this is
important. It is a genuine question and I assume you are not a York
bellringer, though you may be of course in which case you'd have a
vested interested.

The same reason as I think BBC left wing bias is interesting.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.tech.broadcast

On 15/10/2016 23:54, Rod Speed wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various UK
churches and they are often played late at night just as one is dropping
off to sleep.

I that doesn't get you, R4 joins the World Service which remains a
spoken service which is fine for dropping off to ... until some
schools "music and movement" programme wakes you up at about 3am.

It shouldnt be hard to organise a decent system that
turns the radio off when you are asleep. Fades it down
over a few minutes so that doesnt wake you up.

I find all this rather odd. When I go to bed I turn the lights off and
silence anything that is making an interesting noise. I don't want any
interesting sounds because they would distract me from my great
pleasure, which is allowing my imagination to roam freely. Uninteresting
noise doesn't matter. I'm lucky in that I can immerse myself in any
scenario that I fancy with good control, once my eyes are closed. My dad
had this ability and could also close his eyes and describe what he saw.
For instance he could give a detailed commentary on everything seen from
a bicycle on a ride from Bentley to Idle Stop in the 1930s. When he was
alive he had vivid dreams, as do I. I once went into his room and he was
talking in his sleep. He was conducting a public meeting in Ireland
about a forthcoming agricultural show. When I appeared he introduced me
to the committee and I was obliged to join in. It was an odd experience.
I do miss him so much.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

I'm curious to have an appreciation as to why you think this is
important. It is a genuine question and I assume you are not a York
bellringer, though you may be of course in which case you'd have a
vested interested.

--
AnthonyL

There is a general trend to attack all our traditions.
It's part of the lefty attempt to create a world socialist state.
As is the EUSSR
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I just signed the petition "Allow the York Minster bell ringers to
ring!" and wonder if you could add your name too.

The more support we can get the better chance we have of succeeding. You
can read more and sign the petition he

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petition...ingers-to-ring

Thank you!

I'm curious to have an appreciation as to why you think this is
important. It is a genuine question and I assume you are not a York
bellringer, though you may be of course in which case you'd have a
vested interested.

--
AnthonyL

There is a general trend to attack all our traditions.
It's part of the lefty attempt to create a world socialist state.
As is the EUSSR

Well Bill is clearly in support and we've had views from some on why
they hate the bells being rung and I was curious as to what Bill liked
about it. Disappointingly his response in another post is unhelpful
but I guess some folk simply enjoy the English traditions that give
this country its identity which others would see sterilized.

--
AnthonyL

Door Bells polygonum UK diy 5 December 27th 13 09:59 PM
Anybody know anything about hand bells? robgraham UK diy 12 October 22nd 13 03:07 AM
The bells, the bells... The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 March 23rd 09 05:10 PM
Door bells Angela[_3_] UK diy 18 December 10th 08 02:54 PM
Carillons - Bells Heinz Rode Electronics 5 November 14th 07 10:21 PM