Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The bells at York

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
alan_m wrote:

Some sadist at BBC radio 4 has recorded peals of bells from various
UK churches and they are often played late at night just as one is
dropping off to sleep.

Bells on Sunday are recorded by members of the public and sent in to
the BBC. And as the name suggests, the only time they are played at
night is on Sunday. But it's the bum note on Sailing By which stops me
dropping off. ;-)

I wasn't aware of the bum note. However, the pitch of Sailing By does
seem to fluctuate (wow) - like an old tape recording where either the
tape or the drive belt (or both) has stretched. The theme tune to Doctor
Zhivago was rather similar.

You do need a radio you can hear the bass on. Maybe not with some bedroom
radios. About 2/3rds in, the bass plays a bum note - then nothing for a
couple of bars before starting again.

IIRC the story, the piece was recorded in one take when there was some
time left at the end of a recording session. So says quite a bit for pro
musicians that it sounds as good as it does, if that was the first they
saw of it.

No wow here. I've got the original on a mood music CD somewhere - and it's
a very decent recording. But I've no idea how the individual announcers
played it in over the years, especially the 'back timed' versions. It's
quite possible they used carts at one time, and they could certainly wow.

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.