Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The bells, the bells...

Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. When a
customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for them,
but don't know what they are called.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. When
a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for them,
but don't know what they are called.

£ 11 ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Old-fashioned-shop-door-bell_W0QQitemZ180336524734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_An tiques_Architecural_RL?hash=item180336524734&_trks id=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A1|39%3A1|240 %3A1318
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket.
When a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for
them, but don't know what they are called.

"shop door bell"? See eg
http://www.antiquedoorfittings.co.uk...f18128AX3.html
http://www.coxsarchitectural.co.uk/door-knockers.htm
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/s...-door-bell.asp

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. When
a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for them,
but don't know what they are called.

No idea what they call them, but there was a "lot" on Bargain Hunt the other
day which had the bells needed for an entire communication system in a
stately home! Even had the bits to allow pull chords to go round corners!
Not much help I know, but if you get a run on these things, a bric-a-brac
stall may be worth a visit

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Mar, 13:59, "TheScullster" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. *When
a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? *I'm trying to google for them,
but don't know what they are called.

No idea what they call them, but there was a "lot" on Bargain Hunt the other
day which had the bells needed for an entire communication system in a
stately home! *Even had the bits to allow pull chords to go round corners!
Not much help I know, but if you get a run on these things, a bric-a-brac
stall may be worth a visit

Phil

Totally OT, but my daughter invited a young French friend to her
wedding, which was taking place in a castle. Can't specifically
remember why but he was with me when I was arranging something in the
bowells of the castle where all the bells you are talking about were
hanging.

They were all named as you would expect, but what I didn't expect was
that the Frenchman didn't know what "Boudoir" was. Curious as it
comes from the French to pout or sulk !!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket.
When a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for
them, but don't know what they are called.

Cheers vass & neverwas! Never occurred to me to actually search for 'old
fashioned shop door bell'. I should have kept it simple :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rob G" wrote in message
[...]

I think there was a lot of this about in Edinburgh where my Dad
grew up. It wasn't a particulaly well-to-do area, they didn't have
domestic staff, but there were 3 bells on springs in the kitchen.
One rang when a big brass door-bell was pulled downstairs,
the second rang by turning a bakerlite handle in the lounge,
and the third... I don't remember, the bedroom I suppose.
Also, outside the flat on each landing, was a brass knob you
slid up in a slot and a wire and pully system lifted the latch in the
outside door.

I was in a different part of Edinburgh on buisness a few months
ago and saw an identical bakerlite handle in a front room I passed.

I found this:
http://www.inbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Be...l_systems.html

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 8:42 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. When a
customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Can't you devise a system with lasers and mirrors and some electronic
circuitry to play a recording of an old fashioned shop bell? And a
battery backup in case of power failure.

P.S. I approve of your low-tech solution
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket. *When a
customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Can't you devise a system with lasers and mirrors and some electronic
circuitry to play a recording of an old fashioned shop bell? And a
battery backup in case of power failure.

P.S. I approve of your low-tech solution

Just a note re door bells.
In the late 1940-50s lived in flat on one floor of a big old house in
Liverpool.
Found remains of three different bell systems; ranging from mechanical
pull-wire, DC LeClanche cell battery room and front door bells to AC
transformer operated buzzers.
In the attic next to the big slate water tank with names written on it
from the 1890s, found the remains of a distinctively shaped actual
LeClanche cell!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Forget the batteries, how was the slate water tank made? I've never seen
one.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 19, 3:06 am, stan wrote:

Just a note re door bells.
In the late 1940-50s lived in flat on one floor of a big old house in
Liverpool.
Found remains of three different bell systems; ranging from mechanical
pull-wire, DC LeClanche cell battery room and front door bells to AC
transformer operated buzzers.
In the attic next to the big slate water tank with names written on it
from the 1890s, found the remains of a distinctively shaped actual
LeClanche cell!

I found this battery after a 100 year old house was removed.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ept6c1.jpg
Somebody has recently smashed it, probably to remove the porcelain
base which is missing.

I was wondering what it was used for, but a doorbell is very likely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Slate tank. IIRC was made from big slabs of slate held together with
steel rods (I think). Thinking back some 60+ years it was in the
attic of the 'servants' quarters and was some four by three feet and
some three feet deep. The top was open so I suppose a mouse or bat or
whatever could have fallen in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bob Mannix wrote:

Forget the batteries, how was the slate water tank made? I've never seen
one.

In the greenhouse of somewhere I lived in there was a slate water tank.
IIRC (and it was a long time ago) the slate was very smooth and dead
square - I'd guess around 25mm thick. The two end slabs had channels cut
into them - that just like you might do with a router for a piece of
wooden furniture. The other sides slotted in. I have a feeling that the
base might have had some similar machining.

Wish I could remember more detail - there simply must have been some
sort of tie rod but I don't remember seeing one when the tank was in
place. Maybe holes were drilled through the slate from one end to the other?

Used to get frogs hiding in there...

I really can't think that any other slate water tank would be much
different - unless dating from before the ability to finely machine it.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message

In the greenhouse of somewhere I lived in there was a slate water tank.
IIRC (and it was a long time ago) the slate was very smooth and dead
square - I'd guess around 25mm thick. The two end slabs had channels cut
into them - that just like you might do with a router for a piece of
wooden furniture. The other sides slotted in. I have a feeling that the
base might have had some similar machining.

Wish I could remember more detail - there simply must have been some sort
of tie rod but I don't remember seeing one when the tank was in place.
Maybe holes were drilled through the slate from one end to the other?

It may have been glued..
aquariums are only glued together these days.
It may have had dovetail slots to help keep it together while the glue set.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Graham." saying
something like:

I think there was a lot of this about in Edinburgh where my Dad
grew up. It wasn't a particulaly well-to-do area, they didn't have
domestic staff, but there were 3 bells on springs in the kitchen.
One rang when a big brass door-bell was pulled downstairs,
the second rang by turning a bakerlite handle in the lounge,
and the third... I don't remember, the bedroom I suppose.
Also, outside the flat on each landing, was a brass knob you
slid up in a slot and a wire and pully system lifted the latch in the
outside door.

I remember that kit still being in place when my folks moved into a
Victorian building in S.Glasgow. Most of those houses *did* have
domestic staff - the 'staff' was a housemaid who lived in the kitchen
which had a bed recess.
I marvelled at the Victorian bath - a fairly normal claw-foot tub, but
around the top third was a perforated sheet zinc hood affair, topped off
with an overhead pancake shower head. Whole body showers long before
they became common. The water storage tank was up in the roof, about 60'
overhead - I suppose the shower pressure was 'adequate'. Pity it all got
ripped out, would have been worth a fortune later.

Door bells Angela[_3_] UK diy 18 December 10th 08 02:54 PM
Carillons - Bells Heinz Rode Electronics 5 November 14th 07 10:21 PM
Clapped out Church Bells. TheOldFellow UK diy 14 November 6th 07 11:01 PM
wireless door bells Bhoy UK diy 13 January 4th 06 04:07 PM
Wireless Door Bells John UK diy 4 November 7th 04 11:33 PM