Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_3_] Graham.[_3_] is offline

Default The bells, the bells...

"Rob G" wrote in message
On 17 Mar, 13:59, "TheScullster" wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Those old fashioned shop bells that were on a spring loaded bracket.
When
a customer entered, the top of the door caused the bell to ring.

Any idea what the proper name for them is? I'm trying to google for
them,
but don't know what they are called.

No idea what they call them, but there was a "lot" on Bargain Hunt the
other
day which had the bells needed for an entire communication system in a
stately home! Even had the bits to allow pull chords to go round corners!
Not much help I know, but if you get a run on these things, a bric-a-brac
stall may be worth a visit

Phil

Totally OT, but my daughter invited a young French friend to her
wedding, which was taking place in a castle. Can't specifically
remember why but he was with me when I was arranging something in the
bowells of the castle where all the bells you are talking about were
hanging.

They were all named as you would expect, but what I didn't expect was
that the Frenchman didn't know what "Boudoir" was. Curious as it
comes from the French to pout or sulk !!

I think there was a lot of this about in Edinburgh where my Dad
grew up. It wasn't a particulaly well-to-do area, they didn't have
domestic staff, but there were 3 bells on springs in the kitchen.
One rang when a big brass door-bell was pulled downstairs,
the second rang by turning a bakerlite handle in the lounge,
and the third... I don't remember, the bedroom I suppose.
Also, outside the flat on each landing, was a brass knob you
slid up in a slot and a wire and pully system lifted the latch in the
outside door.

I was in a different part of Edinburgh on buisness a few months
ago and saw an identical bakerlite handle in a front room I passed.

I found this:
http://www.inbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Be...l_systems.html

--
Graham.