Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; It's been a funny old day....

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
At Morrison's last week:

Me (to M-girlie): Where can I find condensed milk.

M-girlie: What's condensed milk?

Me: It comes in tins and is very sweet.

M-girlie (after some of what passes for thought) then points me at the
shelf with long-life milk.

Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

How is that the young assistant's fault ?

You went into a shop hoping to buy condensed milk.

The fact that the management didn't explain to you what she wanted it for,
before sending you to the shop for the condensed milk is hardly the fault
of the assistant is it ?

If you, the person actually buying the condensed milk, didn't already know it
what it was to be used for and that it could be found with the other stuff used for
making puddings/desserts, how could the young assistant be expected to
know this ?

Or do you really expect lowly paid supermarket staff, of whatever age to be intimately
familiar with every item stocked along with all their possible uses ?

Maybe a bit more thought before posting next time ?

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/16 21:10, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

I popped into Wickes for some waste pipe.

None on the display. Ask at the counter: computer says yes; they have
10 in
stock. Human goes to the back to find them: human phones the counter;
none in
stock.

At Morrison's last week:

Me (to M-girlie): Where can I find condensed milk.

M-girlie: What's condensed milk?

Me: It comes in tins and is very sweet.

M-girlie (after some of what passes for thought) then points me at the
shelf with long-life milk.

Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

Now try asking them for a squash....

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article m,
dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then?

Got binned long ago now.

Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 15:21:58 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article , Simon
Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote: .

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see
everything and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their
tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

and th eone in our village sells lager, too.

I make my own for 20p a pint.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoeJ5m_WgAU5Rb0.jpg

Me too and I have about 5 times as many barrels.

Do spirits too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Moron Watch" wrote in message

[...]

Its used for a lot more than just that.

and that it could be found with the other stuff used for making
puddings/desserts, how could the young assistant be expected to know this
?

By remembering where they saw it when restocking the shelves with their
brain in gear.

Or do you really expect lowly paid supermarket staff, of whatever age to
be intimately familiar with every item stocked along with all their
possible uses ?

No, but I do expect they would have been involved in stocking the shelves.

Maybe a bit more thought before posting next time ?

You too.

HTH

It didn’t.

I had the same problem with those Fray Bentos pies in flat tins only a bit
more
than an inch high. None of the store staff knew what they were, even the
older
women, even when I showed them a picture of them on the phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then?

Got binned long ago now.

Nope - it's still in force.

From inside your car, open the Shell Motorist app and select €˜Fill Up & Go
Tap the Fill Up & Go yellow bar
Stay in your car and scan the QR code displayed at the pump or key in the pump code
When the app displays the message €˜Start fuelling now youre ready to fill up your tank (dont forget to leave your phone in the car)

http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shel...-it-works.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

I popped into Wickes for some waste pipe.

None on the display. Ask at the counter: computer says yes; they have
10 in
stock. Human goes to the back to find them: human phones the counter;
none in
stock.

At Morrison's last week:

Me (to M-girlie): Where can I find condensed milk.

M-girlie: What's condensed milk?

Me: It comes in tins and is very sweet.

M-girlie (after some of what passes for thought) then points me at the
shelf with long-life milk.

Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

Now try asking them for a squash....

Why did you not know that???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 16:51:23 UTC+1, Moron Watch wrote:
Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

If you, the person actually buying the condensed milk, didn't already know it
what it was to be used for and that it could be found with the other stuff
used for making puddings/desserts, how could the young assistant be expected
to know this ?

The stuff for making puddings/desserts is in a different place from the stuff for home baking. None are anywhere near the bananas if you're making banoffee pie.

I had similar problems once finding treacle.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:03:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:

In days of yore at proper shops, you could talk to someone with
decades
of experience.

But we just stopped bothering with them and went to bigger places
where we could park and get the stuff off the shelves ourselves?

And I'm sure many remember going to, say, a plumber's merchant (etc)
knowing what you wanted - but perhaps not the correct term for it. And
getting that superior look from the sales droid who may have known the
correct term but didn't have a clue on how to actually use the part. So
much easier to select it yourself from the shelf or catalogue. And to be
(fairly) certain they have what you want before even going there.

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see everything
and the alternatives before buying. Give me self service every day.
Especially click and collect, if it works as intended.

The old fashioned knowledgeable places just couldn't compete.
One after another they shut up shop.

Not always. We still have one place like that for what the
yanks call swamp coolers and the locksmith knew exactly
what I needed to do and suggested I bring the lock for
the garage roller door in instead of paying them a $50
call out fee and $50 per half hour for them to do it and
charged me $40 for a whole new lock that only took a
couple of pop rivets to replace because the cylinder was
no longer available for the original lock anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 16:51:23 UTC+1, Moron Watch wrote:
Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

If you, the person actually buying the condensed milk, didn't already
know it
what it was to be used for and that it could be found with the other
stuff
used for making puddings/desserts, how could the young assistant be
expected
to know this ?

The stuff for making puddings/desserts is in a different place from the
stuff for home baking. None are anywhere near the bananas if you're making
banoffee pie.

I had similar problems once finding treacle.

And its all academic now with the best of the supermarkets that
have their own app so you can just look the location on your phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

[...]

I went to one in the 90s to buy distemper. It looked straight out of the 50s, still stocked tin baths & paraffin stoves etc. But chain stores have taken most of the market now.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/16 19:47, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Moron Watch
wrote:

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
At Morrison's last week:

Me (to M-girlie): Where can I find condensed milk.

M-girlie: What's condensed milk?

Me: It comes in tins and is very sweet.

M-girlie (after some of what passes for thought) then points me at the
shelf with long-life milk.

Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

How is that the young assistant's fault ?

I would have expected a general assistant (i.e. not say someone working
in the meat dept), to have heard of condensed milk and know what it is.
It's hardly an obscure product.

Anyhing used in food preparation is an obscure product these days. IN my
local supermarket the area devoted to 'making and baking' is tiny
compared to e.g. te area where crisps and snacks are,. or indeed the
area where pre-made sweets and desserts are.

You went into a shop hoping to buy condensed milk.

The fact that the management didn't explain to you what she wanted it
for,
before sending you to the shop for the condensed milk is hardly the fault
of the assistant is it ?

I knew what the management wanted it for. Otherwise, see above.

If you, the person actually buying the condensed milk, didn't already
know it
what it was to be used for and that it could be found with the other
stuff
used for making puddings/desserts, how could the young assistant be
expected
to know this ?

See above.

Or do you really expect lowly paid supermarket staff, of whatever age
to be
intimately familiar with every item stocked along with all their
possible uses ?

Yes.

How naive....

HTH

No. Try harder next time why don't you. Alternatively, you could go and
dance a hornpipe.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

I popped into Wickes for some waste pipe.

None on the display. Ask at the counter: computer says yes; they have
10 in
stock. Human goes to the back to find them: human phones the counter;
none in
stock.

At Morrison's last week:

Me (to M-girlie): Where can I find condensed milk.

M-girlie: What's condensed milk?

Me: It comes in tins and is very sweet.

M-girlie (after some of what passes for thought) then points me at the
shelf with long-life milk.

Later I ask an older assistant, who correctly points me at the section
with stuff for making puddings/desserts.

Now try asking them for a squash....

Why did you not know that???

Not know what?

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2016 09:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this the same Wickes who no longer describe some doors as doors,
something about enclosure entry systems or something. Doors have to be the
standard sizes to be doors. I'm sure this has now been sorted out,but these
sort of errors creep in due to the person putting stuff on the computer not
realising exactly what the items are.
as for quaantity errors. these do seem very common.
I wanted a particular vacuum from John Lewis a while back the computer told
them they had three, but all they could find was three sets of bags.

Easy to do. I bought a pair of size 9 shoes. At least the box said size
9. Got home and found that the shoes in the box were size 10. Returned
them. Assistant insisted on checking back in one pair of size 10 and
checking out a pair of size 9. Stock system now one pair of size 9 down
and one pair of size 10 up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:04:41 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
David Lang wrote:

Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

TS Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
TS Droid; Blank expression.

Popped next door to Screwfix.
SF Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
SF Droid; Blank expression.

Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Might be useful at the paralympics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2016 10:35, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 15:02:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article m,
dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays (may
have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.
Some phones don't even need dropping!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 12:24:33 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Might be useful at the paralympics.

There are quite a lot of people who need one shoe, or a mismatched size pair.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 09:58:17 UTC+1, Andrew May wrote:
Surely it will be automatically ordered by the computerised stock
control system when the current stock level drops below eight :-)

Of course!

So what I need to do is buy three non-existent lengths and then take them back for a refund next week, then I can buy an existent length.

On second thoughts I'll just go to screwfix...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 12:55:20 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays (may
have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.
Some phones don't even need dropping!

I remember BP banning my led bike lights from their site due to their AA cells, but then they let in 1000 car keys and mobiles.

I took them to an independent tribunal and after a month they gave me a signed bit of paper to allow me to bring them in.

I told them the biggest source of ignition were idling Diesel engines and sure enough in '05 one blew up our Texas City refinery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays (may
have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.
Some phones don't even need dropping!

I heard the real reason was because of the way the pumps calculated how much petrol was pumped in that case the amount owing could be altered by the older type mobile phones that had a higher signal output rather than explosions.
They have/had simialar concerns wuth aircraft although that was apparently more to do with the wiring picking up extransious mobile signals which agian just wouldn;t happen with phones from this milenium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 13:14:47 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
I'll stand up and say I have more than the average number of legs.

Having more than the average number of legs certainly helps with standing up.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 13:01:52 UTC+1, wrote:
On Monday, 26 September 2016 12:24:33 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Might be useful at the paralympics.

There are quite a lot of people who need one shoe, or a mismatched size pair.

Owain

Yeah but not usually in one convient place all together at the same time, it'd be worth having a stall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays
(may have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.
Some phones don't even need dropping!

Heard one reason was that the RF from a mobile could effect the pump
electronics.

Ever looked at a car starter motor in the dark? You'll likely see sparks
from it, when you start the car. Same with older dynamos.

--
*No hand signals. Driver on Viagra*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more
money selling Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre
and a sandwich at £3 than selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of
pay at pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a
filling station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox
nowadays (may have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the
battery subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it. Some
phones don't even need dropping!

I heard the real reason was because of the way the pumps calculated
how much petrol was pumped in that case the amount owing could be
altered by the older type mobile phones that had a higher signal
output rather than explosions. They have/had simialar concerns wuth
aircraft although that was apparently more to do with the wiring
picking up extransious mobile signals which agian just wouldn;t
happen with phones from this milenium.

Mobiles aren't banned by the companies. They are banned under law and it
has nothing to do with affecting the pumps.

Mobiles were banned by the airlines and they are now letting people use
them to access on-board services because they get revenue from it. They
don't affect aircraft systems as the systems are designed to high
standards like those set by the EU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 14:37:44 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

So how come cars have to be turned off at the pumps surely starting themn up could cause a problem so best to leave the engine running surely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.
Transmitters for passengers was banned long before the EU existed in america.
The ban existed BEFORE mobile phones and because they couldn't predict any future problems with mulitiple manufacuers they banned them all.

Ask a few pilots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/25/2016 9:43 AM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 25/09/16 09:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Of course it was some years ago when these self service scanners first
came
out that I used to do my own shopping. I could not use the self
scanner due
to the touch screen etc, but every time I asked for some help they merely
pointed me back to the self service till. I do think that some people who
work in shops have some kind of common sense removal done before they are
allowed to talk to a customer, in case they actually perceive the
obvious.
I recently had this same issue at both a doctors surgery and a hospital
outpatients desk. Stand with whit cane in front of reception, droid
says,
rather busy use the computer log in.
Doh.....
Brian

At that point, if I were in your position, I would **** the numskull
with my white stick and ask "what colour is this stick" - and possibly
following with "Are you blind?" just for some self righteous irony

+1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:37:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.
Transmitters for passengers was banned long before the EU existed in america.
The ban existed BEFORE mobile phones and because they couldn't predict any future problems with mulitiple manufacuers they banned them all.

Ask a few pilots.

The only time I've been on a plane was in 1986 and they banned me from using a short wave radio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:14:24 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

So how come cars have to be turned off at the pumps surely starting themn up could cause a problem so best to leave the engine running surely.

In Belgium last May, the petrol pump I was using had no cut off and I only stopped filling when my shoes were soaking wet. There was a huge pool of petrol all around the car, so I paid at the pump and cleared off sharpish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:53:18 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:37:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU.
Transmitters for passengers was banned long before the EU existed in america.
The ban existed BEFORE mobile phones and because they couldn't predict any future problems with mulitiple manufacuers they banned them all.

Ask a few pilots.

The only time I've been on a plane was in 1986 and they banned me from using a short wave radio.

Yes a long long time before people ,had mobile phones.
Originaly it was for transmiting radios when in flight as they generated quite a bit of electrical noise .

http://www.livescience.com/5947-real...-airlines.html

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) banned in-flight use of most cell phones and wireless devices in 1991

I wonder how many had mobile phones then, they did really go on sale until 1989.
The brain dead on her think the EU was resonsible for teh ban, I bet they think the EU had banned light from going over 186k miles per second too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Who mentioned that it was the transmitters that were better?
There have been a number of improvements in EMC susceptibility along
with some rules to make it so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

No one.
It was electrical interference was the worry.
The FCC NOT the EU were worried about signals being trnasmitted rather than recived as they wouyld be lower power, so it was the transmitters that were of concene NOT the recievers.

There have been a number of improvements in EMC susceptibility along
with some rules to make it so.

Yes thre have been since the days of valves, but teh worry that it could happen in that a transmitter could intefere with the electrics of the plane the risk was small and wasn't worth taking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I saw my first one in 1983 - the batterybox was the size of a house brick!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

That was one thing necessary to get the CE marking

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 September 2016 17:04:10 UTC+1, charles wrote:

I wonder how many had mobile phones then, they did really go on sale
until 1989.

I saw my first one in 1983 - the batterybox was the size of a house brick!

Those were the good old days when you could listen into their phone calls.
I found out where all the knocking shops were, who were having affairs and people's bank account numbers.

Some old biddys around here still have analogue cordless phones and you can listen to them along with baby monitors, shop security CCTV, who the hospital porters are wheeling around, football stewards, BBC reporters, farmers, lorry drivers, taxis and much more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

web.com...

dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

I know Mythbusters busted it a while back ... total bollox nowadays (may
have been true in the past).

Mythbusters didn't test for the real reason mobiles are banned.

They arent banned.

I suspect the biggest danger if from dropping your phone and the battery
subsequently blowing up and taking the fuel with it.

You're wrong.

Some phones don't even need dropping!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Just goes to show how stupid it is to believe everything you hear.

The pumps of the era when mobile phones were originally banned
were mechanical, so that can't have been the reason for the ban.

They have/had simialar concerns wuth aircraft

Different equipment involved entirely.

although that was apparently more to do with
the wiring picking up extransious mobile signals

Wrong again.

which agian just wouldn;t happen with phones from this milenium.

Wrong, as always.

FUNNY [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 5th 08 03:09 AM
Funny SMS fazi Home Repair 0 July 16th 07 09:48 AM
Funny SMS fazi Home Repair 0 July 16th 07 08:55 AM
Funny SMS fazi Woodworking 0 July 14th 07 12:25 PM
OT funny mm Home Repair 2 April 27th 07 07:33 PM