Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; It's been a funny old day....

Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

TS Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
TS Droid; Blank expression.

Popped next door to Screwfix.
SF Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
SF Droid; Blank expression.

On the way home I did some shopping in Morrisons & used the self scan
checkouts.

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen. Selected "L-M" icon which had a picture of a mushroom on it.
Screen opens, no mushrooms listed.
Spotted a search option, typed in MUS and before I can finish typing a
message appears "MUS doesn't match any items".

Attracted the attention of a Morrisons person, who did exactly what I
did - twice, with the same results.

He disappears & returns with a code number - the machine finally gives
in and admits that mushrooms actually exist.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

TS Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
TS Droid; Blank expression.

Popped next door to Screwfix.
SF Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
SF Droid; Blank expression.

Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

TS Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
TS Droid; Blank expression.

Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Maybe they're all keyed identical, rather than in matched pairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:

Attracted the attention of a Morrisons person, who did exactly what I
did - twice, with the same results.

He disappears & returns with a code number - the machine finally gives
in and admits that mushrooms actually exist.

Used a self service in Ljubljana last June, bought some ibuprofen, had to wait 5 mins for authorisation barcode to be flashed by supervisor, loose fruit - had to wait for somebody to weigh them, bottle of Cava - had to wait for 10 mins for more authorisation.

Waste of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen. Selected "L-M" icon which had a picture of a mushroom on it.
Screen opens, no mushrooms listed.

Probably under 'B' for button mushrooms, or if they're as idiosyncratic
as other supermarket self-checkouts (actually the newer Morrison tills
seem to have been upgraded to quad-hamster power, so they can keep up
with you).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/16 17:00, David Lang wrote:
On the way home I did some shopping in Morrisons & used the self scan
checkouts.

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen. Selected "L-M" icon which had a picture of a mushroom on it.
Screen opens, no mushrooms listed.
Spotted a search option, typed in MUS and before I can finish typing a
message appears "MUS doesn't match any items".

Attracted the attention of a Morrisons person, who did exactly what I
did - twice, with the same results.

He disappears & returns with a code number - the machine finally gives
in and admits that mushrooms actually exist.

Morrison's bread rolls filed only under Pick n Mix.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

I popped into Wickes for some waste pipe.

None on the display. Ask at the counter: computer says yes; they have 10 in stock. Human goes to the back to find them: human phones the counter; none in stock.

I ask when they will *actually* be getting any more in and it might be 2-3 weeks.
Unlikely to be shoplifters as it's quite hard to shoplift 3 metre lengths of wastepipe I would have thought.

They also only sell the clips in packs of 2.

Oh well, that's a job I don't need to do and a shower I can't have this weekend.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2016 17:00, David Lang wrote:

snipped

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen.

It's creeping AI. The scales know that a mushroom is not a plant, let
alone a vegetable.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 24/09/2016 17:00, David Lang wrote:

snipped

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon
on screen.

It's creeping AI. The scales know that a mushroom is not a plant, let
alone a vegetable.

They're not that intelligent, if I can't find something on the menu, I
simply put it through as carrots, 68p a kilo. It could be mushrooms, grapes,
sirloin steak etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2016 18:54, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 24/09/2016 17:00, David Lang wrote:

snipped

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen.

It's creeping AI. The scales know that a mushroom is not a plant, let
alone a vegetable.

Cheers

More than most of the staff. Or customers. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 18:29:04 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Do you not have a SF or TS?

I have an SF but not conveniently located when leaving Wickes unsatisfied.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 21:21:26 UTC+1, Joe Biden wrote:
What a pity that so few of you ever get to share your unlimited wisdom
from the other side of the counter.

I wouldn't say twelve years of retail experience is unlimited wisdom but in that time I did manage to work out that customers like to see stock out on the shop floor. Sometimes they even buy it.

I can't fault the staff at the shop for helpfulness but their stock control from head office is abysmal.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 21:54:59 UTC+1, Joe Biden wrote:
Twelve years is it, what an old soldier you are. I suppose you believe
that your imagined vast experience allows you to disparagingly refer to
a lowly store assistant as the 'human'.

In contradistinction to 'computer', and you're the one describing him as lowly, not me.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I had similar issuees at a mapliin about a year back. I picked up a
telephone recorder device and when the person tried to get it to scan from
the bar code it said they were no longer stocked.

In the end I just paid the c visible price and went.
I think somebody had just either mis counted or had acceepted a return and
not recorded it on the system.
In the end many of these strange anomalies come down to the human in the
loop not actually getting it right,though, most veg are not fungi, maybe
they have a fungi category?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"David Lang" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just thinking that actually. I can recall a while back that one
particular law enforcement organisation in a small country bought some
handcuffs which seemed a great bargain, and indeed were very sturdy and
nice. Only problem was the keys were all the same and were easy to make.

There is no wonder a lot of police forces now use a form of plastic zip
ties as they are cheaper and no worse than a handcuff with duplicate keys in
the end.

I'm sure this is the answer to the locks as well.
I remember a little while ago having lost the key to a padlock, I opened
it with a bit of bent wire. Hardly secure, but I suppose it discourages the
casual theif.
Brian

--
----- -

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

TS Droid; We only have one in stock.
TMH; What's the point in only having one keyed alike padlock?
TS Droid; Blank expression.

Isn't that rather like trying to sell a single sock?

Maybe they're all keyed identical, rather than in matched pairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course it was some years ago when these self service scanners first came
out that I used to do my own shopping. I could not use the self scanner due
to the touch screen etc, but every time I asked for some help they merely
pointed me back to the self service till. I do think that some people who
work in shops have some kind of common sense removal done before they are
allowed to talk to a customer, in case they actually perceive the obvious.
I recently had this same issue at both a doctors surgery and a hospital
outpatients desk. Stand with whit cane in front of reception, droid says,
rather busy use the computer log in.
Doh.....
Brian

--
----- -

"Another Dave" wrote in message
On 24/09/16 17:00, David Lang wrote:
On the way home I did some shopping in Morrisons & used the self scan
checkouts.

Bag of loose mushrooms. placed on scale bit, touched fresh veg icon on
screen. Selected "L-M" icon which had a picture of a mushroom on it.
Screen opens, no mushrooms listed.
Spotted a search option, typed in MUS and before I can finish typing a
message appears "MUS doesn't match any items".

Attracted the attention of a Morrisons person, who did exactly what I
did - twice, with the same results.

He disappears & returns with a code number - the machine finally gives
in and admits that mushrooms actually exist.

Morrison's bread rolls filed only under Pick n Mix.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this the same Wickes who no longer describe some doors as doors,
something about enclosure entry systems or something. Doors have to be the
standard sizes to be doors. I'm sure this has now been sorted out,but these
sort of errors creep in due to the person putting stuff on the computer not
realising exactly what the items are.
as for quaantity errors. these do seem very common.
I wanted a particular vacuum from John Lewis a while back the computer told
them they had three, but all they could find was three sets of bags.

Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
On Saturday, 24 September 2016 17:00:52 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
Popped into Toolstation for two keyed alike padlocks.

I popped into Wickes for some waste pipe.

None on the display. Ask at the counter: computer says yes; they have 10
in stock. Human goes to the back to find them: human phones the counter;
none in stock.

I ask when they will *actually* be getting any more in and it might be 2-3
weeks.
Unlikely to be shoplifters as it's quite hard to shoplift 3 metre lengths
of wastepipe I would have thought.

They also only sell the clips in packs of 2.

Oh well, that's a job I don't need to do and a shower I can't have this
weekend.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/16 09:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Of course it was some years ago when these self service scanners first came
out that I used to do my own shopping. I could not use the self scanner due
to the touch screen etc, but every time I asked for some help they merely
pointed me back to the self service till. I do think that some people who
work in shops have some kind of common sense removal done before they are
allowed to talk to a customer, in case they actually perceive the obvious.
I recently had this same issue at both a doctors surgery and a hospital
outpatients desk. Stand with whit cane in front of reception, droid says,
rather busy use the computer log in.
Doh.....
Brian

At that point, if I were in your position, I would **** the numskull
with my white stick and ask "what colour is this stick" - and possibly
following with "Are you blind?" just for some self righteous irony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 24 September 2016 22:25:34 UTC+1, Joe Biden wrote:
Anyway, I'll leave you in peace, I'm sure that very important people
like you have equally important things to do other than writing stuff on
usenet.

I do, but not this weekend. No pipe to do it with, remember?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Sep 2016 23:21:17 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

In days of yore at proper shops, you could talk to someone with decades of experience.

But we just stopped bothering with them and went to bigger places
where we could park and get the stuff off the shelves ourselves?

Same with model shops where they stopped selling 'kits' because few
were buying them and went over the RTR (ready to run) models that
people could often buy cheaper and get easier off the Internet (and so
the model shops closed or went 'mail order'). These models were also
considered 'disposable' and the owners didn't know how to repair them
even if the parts were available.

So now the 'experience' is in places like this where 'the people' try
and help each other.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
In days of yore at proper shops, you could talk to someone with decades
of experience.

But we just stopped bothering with them and went to bigger places
where we could park and get the stuff off the shelves ourselves?

And I'm sure many remember going to, say, a plumber's merchant (etc)
knowing what you wanted - but perhaps not the correct term for it. And
getting that superior look from the sales droid who may have known the
correct term but didn't have a clue on how to actually use the part. So
much easier to select it yourself from the shelf or catalogue. And to be
(fairly) certain they have what you want before even going there.

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see everything
and the alternatives before buying. Give me self service every day.
Especially click and collect, if it works as intended.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 12:03:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
In days of yore at proper shops, you could talk to someone with decades
of experience.

But we just stopped bothering with them and went to bigger places
where we could park and get the stuff off the shelves ourselves?

And I'm sure many remember going to, say, a plumber's merchant (etc)
knowing what you wanted - but perhaps not the correct term for it.

Indeed ... but the problem with asking them is you can end up being
offered stuff that you know isn't what you want but take because it's
1) the nearest they have to what you actually want or 2) they have
spent some effort helping you take it out of politeness?

And
getting that superior look from the sales droid who may have known the
correct term but didn't have a clue on how to actually use the part.

I can't sat I really ever had the former but have had the latter.
Especially so in electrical or plumbing places where they state they
aren't plumbers or electricians so can only supply what you ask for.

So
much easier to select it yourself from the shelf or catalogue.

Often, yes, as long as they have stuff organised logically (not always
easy when you need something specific ... like yesterday I was looking
for some line that was likely to be curtain cord but found it in
amongst the lines, wires and chains).

And to be
(fairly) certain they have what you want before even going there.

Yup, that is a massive time / fuel saver.

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see everything
and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their tills
with people buying groceries. ;-(

Give me self service every day.

Agreed ... except for cooked food etc. ;-)

Especially click and collect, if it works as intended.

I generally do that more to *reserve* an item that may show as being
low in stock rather to save time when I get there. I also often think
of something else / different whilst on the way or find queuing at the
'Click and collect' point longer than going though the straight till.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:03:49 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
T i m wrote:

In days of yore at proper shops, you could talk to someone with decades
of experience.

But we just stopped bothering with them and went to bigger places
where we could park and get the stuff off the shelves ourselves?

And I'm sure many remember going to, say, a plumber's merchant (etc)
knowing what you wanted - but perhaps not the correct term for it. And
getting that superior look from the sales droid who may have known the
correct term but didn't have a clue on how to actually use the part. So
much easier to select it yourself from the shelf or catalogue. And to be
(fairly) certain they have what you want before even going there.

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see everything
and the alternatives before buying. Give me self service every day.
Especially click and collect, if it works as intended.

The old fashioned knowledgeable places just couldn't compete. One after another they shut up shop.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We had a wonderful one which only closed last year. That was because the
owner had a stroke.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
..

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see everything
and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than selling fuel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2016 13:18, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote: .

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see
everything and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their
tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at pump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 14:57:07 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 25/09/2016 13:18, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote: .

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see
everything and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their
tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at pump..

No use to me as I don't possess one - besides, Mrs M still likes to read real newspapers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 15:02:22 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article m,
dennis@home wrote:
Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

You can buy fuel in Shell garages using your phone instead of pay at
pump.

Whatever happened to the 'do not use your mobile phone in a filling
station', then? Do you drive off and pay later? ;-)

"To use, simply select how much you want to spend and scan the QR code at your pump from inside your car."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Simon
Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote: .

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see
everything and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

and th eone in our village sells lager, too.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 15:21:58 UTC+1, charles wrote:
In article , Simon
Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 25 September 2016 12:19:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote: .

Other thing was getting stuck behind someone who wanted to see
everything and the alternatives before buying.

Quite! Nearly as bad as buying petrol at places that share their tills

Shell scrapped their pay at the pump as they make more money selling
Costas at £3 a cup, Volvic at £1.50 a litre and a sandwich at £3 than
selling fuel.

and th eone in our village sells lager, too.

I make my own for 20p a pint.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoeJ5m_WgAU5Rb0.jpg

FUNNY [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 5th 08 03:09 AM
Funny SMS fazi Home Repair 0 July 16th 07 09:48 AM
Funny SMS fazi Home Repair 0 July 16th 07 08:55 AM
Funny SMS fazi Woodworking 0 July 14th 07 12:25 PM
OT funny mm Home Repair 2 April 27th 07 07:33 PM