Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default OT; It's been a funny old day....

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:53:18 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 26 September 2016 15:37:55 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Nothing whatsoever to do with the EU. Transmitters for passengers was
banned long before the EU existed in america. The ban existed BEFORE
mobile phones and because they couldn't predict any future problems
with mulitiple manufacuers they banned them all.

Ask a few pilots.

The only time I've been on a plane was in 1986 and they banned me from
using a short wave radio.

Yes a long long time before people ,had mobile phones. Originaly it was
for transmiting radios when in flight as they generated quite a bit of
electrical noise .

http://www.livescience.com/5947-real...-airlines.html

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) banned in-flight use of most
cell phones and wireless devices in 1991

I wonder how many had mobile phones then, they did really go on sale
until 1989.

I saw my first one in 1983 - the batterybox was the size of a house brick!

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England