Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wheelie bin style

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:16:02 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:05:16 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 20:29:45 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
A bin is a bin, I did not take you for one of those fusspots who gets
possessive over "their" bin which is identical to everyone else's and
owned by the council anyway.

Not all bins are owned by the council; some councils 'give' them to
residents who then have to pay for replacements in the event of loss or
damage.

And bins are not identical. Some get washed out weekly and given a spray
of Bin-Fresh. Others have six-month-old sludge and bloodstains
accumulating at the bottom.

Round here there are at least three different sizes of bin. Normally one
gets the middle size, but can ask for a small one if space is tight and
the bin isn't used so much.

There are large ones (we have one) which are no longer available, but
still emptied OK (a 'grandfathered' arrangement).

No longer available? Why? We can't get them for free unless there are 6 people in the house, but I see plenty in the babymaking streets. What do people do round your way if they have 4 kids? I can fill the medium sized one with just myself and a few pets.

--
The wife had a birthday and her husband wanted to know what she desired. She said she'd like to have a Jaguar.
He didn't think it was best for her.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:08:22 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:54:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:49:23 +0100, NY wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:44:12 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
A neighbouring council has wheelie bins that look like this, but
I've never seen them anywhere else. What is the hood for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzkw50rday7lsz/bin.jpg?dl=0

It's to enable the bin to be picked up from the roadside completely
mechanically (if it's close enough to the road) without manual
intervention. The lorry just pulls up alongside and a mechanical
arm controlled from the cab does all the work.

The bigger "canopy" makes alignment less critical.

Ahhh, I didn't think of that as I got mixed up and thought it wasn't
on the truck side of the bin. The binmen don't wheel mine to the
lorry and hook the handles on, the other side gets hooked on.

So I guess people not bothering to put the bins the right way round
(like my neighbour) wouldn't get it collected at all. Round here
they're wheeled to the lorry by the binmen and they don't mind the
odd one facing wrongly.

You mean there is a "right way round" for putting wheelie bins on the
roadside for collection? I never knew that. I've never seen any
instructions. Looking along our road, people place them various ways
round -
some with the handle closest to the road (which means walking into the
road as you are dragging it onto the grass verge), some with the
handle furthest away from the road (closest to the house) and some at
right angles (which is how you would drag it behind you as you walk
towards the kerb but then turn at the last minute to avoid walking
into the road).

But our bins are always collected and hooked onto the lorry by hand.
One man typically walks ahead and gathers several bins into a group,
and then he and another guy take the bins, two at a time, onto the two
"hooks" on the lorry.

We were told to when we first got the bins, and it seems pretty
obvious, and 90% of them are done this way, to place the handles
nearest the road.

Imagine you're collecting 1000 bins in the day, would you want to turn
them all round to pull them to the lorry?

I cannot imagine that as I am not a bin man.

Does a bin man's wishes concern you?

They are paid to empty the bins.

Occasionally they put one back outside the correct house when they have
emptied it.

And sometimes they don't damage it.

Those things can't get damaged unless you run them over with a tank. Or in council house areas, have someone jump onto them from a rooftop.

The best one round here was when we had 'inserts' for paper inside a
bigger recycling bin. They were filmed emptying the inserts into the main
bin, presumably to save time.

What moaning little twerp filmed them?

--
How do you embarrass an archeologist?
Give him a used tampon and ask him which period it came from.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

So you might think. They've smashed the corner off two of mine. I
actually saw one of them happen.

The best one round here was when we had 'inserts' for paper inside a
bigger recycling bin. They were filmed emptying the inserts into the
main bin, presumably to save time.

What moaning little twerp filmed them?

Dunno, but why shouldn't they? They're paid to do a job and they weren't
doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:03:02 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

[...]

The council response is "Tough. You aren't recycling enough. Your
problem."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 12:19:11 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 11:29:27 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 03:44:02 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:09:54 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
James Wilkinson wrote:
A neighbouring council has wheelie bins that look like this, but
I've
never seen them anywhere else. What is the hood for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzkw50rday7lsz/bin.jpg?dl=0

It's to enable the bin to be picked up from the roadside
completely
mechanically (if it's close enough to the road) without manual
intervention. The lorry just pulls up alongside and a mechanical
arm
controlled from the cab does all the work.

Ours have always been emptied like that and dont have anything
like
that.
They look like this.
http://www.cusack.co.uk/Catalogue/Ja...240-Ltr-B15618

The bigger "canopy" makes alignment less critical.

Doesnt explain why the other type works fine.

Yours are almost identical to ours. But ours are taken to the back
of
the
lorry by the binmen, then they press a button for the lorry to lift
hem.
Too much street parking round here to allow fully mechanised.

Yeah, that's what I meant, he's wrong about that difference
with that bin being to allow mechanised pickup.

If he's wrong,

He is because our system handles bins like yours
without anyone except the driver involved fine.

For some reason we have men pull the bins to the lorry,

Basically because you have a lot more parked cars at bin pickup time.

We shouldn't. My street for example has driveways which all take multiple
cars, I can get 5 in mine.

Yes, but while ever there are plenty streets with lots of parked cars in
them, they have to have the bin men and it isnt feasible to have them
have a sleep in the back of the truck while going down your street etc.

Yet I see cars in the street next to drives that aren't full. I guess
people are too ****ing lazy to move one out of the way to get a different
one out.

One of my neighbours particularly only parks it the
street, doesnt bother to park in his drive at all. That
is uncommon tho so its not a problem for the fully
mechanised bin machine with no bin men at all,
just the truck driver doing everything.

Mind you I have the advantage that my driveway is butted up against my
neighbour's, so we can use each other's to get cars round each other.

But what really ****es me off is the absolute moron 100 yards from me who
always parks on the other side of the road to everyone else.

With streets that narrow, you're only allowed to park on one side.

Quite how lorries and buses are meant to get past I don't know.

and AFAIK most in the UK do this. Must be the busier streets - too many
parked cars to get the arm in.

Yes.

Or some health and softy bull**** about the arm being dangerous.

Nope, it is the parked cars.

You'd be surprised how much health and softy we have here.

Nope, you lot are notorious for that, and ****wit unions too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

They should just miss out the bins with cars in the way, that would teach the moronic drivers.

Mind you I have the advantage that my driveway is butted up against my
neighbour's, so we can use each other's to get cars round each other.

But what really ****es me off is the absolute moron 100 yards from me who
always parks on the other side of the road to everyone else.

With streets that narrow, you're only allowed to park on one side.

I've never seen a street which states which side to park on. But people with common sense park on the same side as an existing car.

Quite how lorries and buses are meant to get past I don't know.

and AFAIK most in the UK do this. Must be the busier streets - too many
parked cars to get the arm in.

Yes.

Or some health and softy bull**** about the arm being dangerous.

Nope, it is the parked cars.

You'd be surprised how much health and softy we have here.

Nope, you lot are notorious for that, and ****wit unions too.

Agreed.

--
A midget fortune-teller who escapes from prison is a small medium at large.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:31:57 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Actually I was thinking of the main recycling bin. I wanted a bigger paper/card/plastic one.

--
Q: Why can't you have a Jewish Morris dancer?
A: Because you have to be a complete prick to be a Morris dancer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

How did they do it?

And who cares? If it breaks, they get you a new one.

The best one round here was when we had 'inserts' for paper inside a
bigger recycling bin. They were filmed emptying the inserts into the
main bin, presumably to save time.

What moaning little twerp filmed them?

Dunno, but why shouldn't they? They're paid to do a job and they weren't
doing it.

Because it doesn't affect the person filming.

--
When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does it wonder why you're sitting there staring at carpeting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Trouble with that approach is that it could well be one of the neighbours
who has parked in front of your bins after you have kerbed them.

Mind you I have the advantage that my driveway is butted up against my
neighbour's, so we can use each other's to get cars round each other.

But what really ****es me off is the absolute moron 100 yards from me
who
always parks on the other side of the road to everyone else.

With streets that narrow, you're only allowed to park on one side.

I've never seen a street which states which side to park on.

We dont have that many that narrow, but do have that with those.

But people with common sense park on the same side as an existing car.

Makes more sense to have it marked what side to park on.

Quite how lorries and buses are meant to get past I don't know.

and AFAIK most in the UK do this. Must be the busier streets - too
many
parked cars to get the arm in.

Yes.

Or some health and softy bull**** about the arm being dangerous.

Nope, it is the parked cars.

You'd be surprised how much health and softy we have here.

Nope, you lot are notorious for that, and ****wit unions too.

Agreed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 10:02:19 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 09:58:31 +0100, Capitol wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:30:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 20/06/16 18:25, James Wilkinson wrote:
A neighbouring council has wheelie bins that look like this, but I've
never seen them anywhere else. What is the hood for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzkw50rday7lsz/bin.jpg?dl=0

Its a nesting box for the lesser spotted Romanian immigrant.

At least Romanians do work and don't set explosives.

Round here, they beg!

Round here, they clean cars. Bloody well.

Round here they sell "Big Issue".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , James Wilkinson
writes

When I were a brat we used to put each other in them and wheel each
other around.

You must be young.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Originally all we could have was the red plastic insert in the larger
blue bin (red for paper and card, blue for cans and plastic). I thought
this was a daft idea and said so.

I discovered that they'd quietly introduced a full size red bin - just
walk into the council depot with the insert, and come out with a full
size bin. I am told you have to pay for them now (I would have incurred a
delivery charge anyway if I'd not collected it).

We are allowed to bale up extra cardboard and leave it next to the bin,
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:26:38 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

So you might think. They've smashed the corner off two of mine. I
actually saw one of them happen.

How did they do it?

They failed to fit it to the hoist correctly, and it twisted and half
fell off. And they chuck the inserts across the road.

And who cares? If it breaks, they get you a new one.

No, if it's broken you have to pay now. If it happens to me again, I'm
taking the CCTV recording down there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-06-22, Bob Eager wrote:

[50 lines snipped]

We are allowed to bale up extra cardboard and leave it next to the bin,
though.

"Allowed"? These ****ers work for you.

I know. I push them all the time!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

I wish mine would and so does my nieghbour as she pays to have hers cleaned.
I don't. I can see my pin outsoide the house next door becaus eit has my house munber written on it as does my nieghbours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

I thought everyone had an imagination.

Does a bin man's wishes concern you?

Efficiency concerns me.

They are paid to empty the bins.

The quicker they can do it, the less they have to get paid and the lower your taxes.

Occasionally they put one back outside the correct house when they have
emptied it.

A bin is a bin, I did not take you for one of those fusspots who gets possessive over "their" bin which is identical to everyone else's and owned by the council anyway.

but they aren't identical they have teh house numbers written on them, and some are silly enough to pay their own money for them to be cleaned, so they don't smell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 20:43:12 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:04:45 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 20 June 2016 19:03:35 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
James Wilkinson wrote:

What is the hood for?

The circular black hole is for rubble and plasterboard.

Are you sure it's not some sort of glory hole.

Are you speaking from experience?

No I've never seen that sort of bin before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

People who wash their bins are presumably the same weirdos who get enemas. Why wash something which becomes dirty the instant you use it?

--
When a woman wears leather clothing, a man's heart beats quicker, his throat gets dry, he goes weak in the knees, and he begins to think irrationally.
Ever wonder why?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you have a very disorganised council.

--
Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:39:35 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:26:38 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

So you might think. They've smashed the corner off two of mine. I
actually saw one of them happen.

How did they do it?

They failed to fit it to the hoist correctly, and it twisted and half
fell off. And they chuck the inserts across the road.

And who cares? If it breaks, they get you a new one.

No, if it's broken you have to pay now. If it happens to me again, I'm
taking the CCTV recording down there.

Odd, as when I've seen them put bins on hoists, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. It's just a hook that lifts the bin up.

--
Interesting fact number 184:
In ancient China, people committed suicide by eating a pound of salt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 07:06:18 +0100, News wrote:

In message , James Wilkinson
writes

When I were a brat we used to put each other in them and wheel each
other around.

You must be young.

Or an overaged brat.

--
In the Nintendo GameCube instruction manual:
"Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:59 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Not really (Bob and I share the same council). It's quite a good system
IMO.

You have to pay for your bins. You have to bundle up cardboard. No, that's not a good system. Here we have three bins plus a box plus a tub. 5 free things collected regularly.

--
Q: Why do women close their eyes during sex?
A: Because they can't stand to see a man having a good time!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Well my neigbour is 94 years old just back from 8 weeks in hospital she's lived there since before WWII.

Why wash something which becomes dirty the instant you use it?

Are you talking about your arse ?
well only the french use arse washers.

But the bins do get a bit smelly some people care about their bins, thier front step as they see it as a refelction of them.

Remind me what's rain is for, cleaning cars and house windows. :-)
why else would it happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Not here we don't.

and some are silly enough to pay their own money for them to be cleaned, so they don't smell.

But surely those weirdos get the bin cleaned AFTER it's emptied. So it doesn't matter what bin comes back, they will have a clean bin.

--
Top Tip. If someone shoves your feet in a fire, quickly put your head in a bucket of iced water. On average, you will be pretty comfortable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

Being old is no excuse for being daft.

Why wash something which becomes dirty the instant you use it?

Are you talking about your arse ?
well only the french use arse washers.

Most people don't get enemas.

But the bins do get a bit smelly some people care about their bins, thier front step as they see it as a refelction of them.

Wash the outside of the bin if you like, that's all that gets seen or is exposed to the outside world. But then that's not the dirty part anyway. And if you put your rubbish in binbags like you should, then the bin doesn't even get dirty in the fist place. If you just chuck mucky rubbish into the bin, it's going to fall out the back of the lorry if there's a wind when they're collecting.

Remind me what's rain is for, cleaning cars and house windows. :-)
why else would it happen.

Agreed - I hardly ever wash anything outside. Except my drive once a year as it gets mossy.

--
If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me? -- Monty Python, Episode 25
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote: I can fill the medium sized one with just myself
and a few pets.
Seems a bit drastic, don't you have anywhere else to live?

The system of picking up bins with a front mounted side loading
grab can be a bit fraught. In Houston a number of bin men have been
killed, either by being grabbed or by being run over when standing in
front of the low level scoop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Not disorganised. Just one that doesn't tell its customers anything that
might cost the council more money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:50:03 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , James Wilkinson
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:59 +0100, Tim Streater

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I haven't paid a red cent (or any other colour of cent) for mine.

You have to bundle up cardboard.

Bob said "extra" cardboard. That's cardboard that won't go in the paper
section of the bin. Since when that bin goes out, it goes out with the
garden waste bin. This makes a tight spot for the cardboard to sit
between the two bins. If you have a large item delivered, you have to
break down the waste cardboard packaging anyway. No "bundling" involved.

No, that's not a good system.
Here we have three bins plus a box plus a tub.
5 free things collected regularly.

We have 3 bins and a small tub for food waste. The black bin holds
landfill waste, and here, so much other stuff is recycled that we can
quite often skip a black bin day and so a month passes between
emptyings.

We actually have four (we have the optional red bin, and the green one!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:44:38 +0100, Capitol wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote: I can fill the medium sized one with just myself
and a few pets.
Seems a bit drastic, don't you have anywhere else to live?

The system of picking up bins with a front mounted side loading
grab can be a bit fraught. In Houston a number of bin men have been
killed, either by being grabbed or by being run over when standing in
front of the low level scoop.

Why were the bin men outside the lorry? So what if stupid people get killed. The problem lies with the user, not the device. Anyone can buy a Ferrari and kill themselves in it, but they don't stop making them.

--
If you were amazed to discover that cell phones have uses other than setting off roadside bombs, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:59 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So that's one less than me - 3 recycling containers instead of 4. I can even throw out a laptop, a toaster, etc.

They were going to change us to 3 weekly collections for the waste, but it never happened. They said it was to save money, yet I don't see them saving money anywhere, they spend far too much on tarmacking roads all day. We need a local referendum on whether we should halve the council tax and do without extra ******** nobody wants.

--
I used to not get along with my mother-in-law, but over the last few
months, I've developed quite an attachment for her. It goes over her
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:59 +0100, Tim Streater

wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I've seen some bins coated entirely in a huge sticker with flowers on it.

--
If Christians want us to believe in a Redeemer, let them act redeemed. -- Voltaire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

So it's better for them to pick up bales of cardboard than empty a bin? I thought the idea of wheelybins were they saved effort/time/wages.

--
Worlds most powerful nob enlarger - a space suit with a fly zip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Read it again. EXTRA cardboard. If the bin for cardboard is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 14:34:46 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
And bins are not identical. Some get washed out weekly and given a spray of
Bin-Fresh. Others have six-month-old sludge and bloodstains accumulating at
the bottom.

You seem very experienced, care to elaborate?

Just google glasgow body wheelie bin :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

They do in most places I know.

and some are silly enough to pay their own money for them to be cleaned, so they don't smell.

But surely those weirdos get the bin cleaned AFTER it's emptied.

yes difficult washing a bin out with it full.

So it doesn't matter what bin comes back, they will have a clean bin.

No the bin cleaners are private company that clean the bins about once a month but only those bins that they are pains to clean.
A bit like window cleaners not everyone waits for it to rain, some have people come and clean their windows rather than next doors windows.

I know it's a bit complex but we have number on houses too so people can mor eeasily tell them apart.
Why would you pay someone to clean next doors bin and not yuor own anyway, what's the point ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

The only place people seem to get possessive and write on numbers is council estates. Perhaps it's the ones that have bought their house and look down on the grotty neighbours?

and some are silly enough to pay their own money for them to be cleaned, so they don't smell.

But surely those weirdos get the bin cleaned AFTER it's emptied.

yes difficult washing a bin out with it full.

So it doesn't matter what bin comes back, they will have a clean bin.

No the bin cleaners are private company that clean the bins about once a month but only those bins that they are pains to clean.
A bit like window cleaners not everyone waits for it to rain, some have people come and clean their windows rather than next doors windows.

I know it's a bit complex but we have number on houses too so people can mor eeasily tell them apart.
Why would you pay someone to clean next doors bin and not yuor own anyway, what's the point ?

I'd pay someone to clean *a* bin and return it to me. Once it's cleaned, it doesn't matter who was using it before.

--
Say it with flowers - send her a triffid.

Wheelie Bin repair compound? Yvonne[_2_] UK diy 21 June 6th 12 10:36 PM
Better wheelie bin ? TerryJones UK diy 41 February 23rd 12 03:39 PM
Swapping a wheelie bin lid ARWadsworth UK diy 27 December 3rd 11 03:06 PM
wheelie bins Dave UK diy 60 August 14th 10 12:32 AM
OT wheelie bin pollution rant Mary Fisher UK diy 4 July 7th 06 08:20 PM