Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wheelie bin style

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 00:25:57 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:31:57 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:03:02 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:16:02 +0100, Bob Eager
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:05:16 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Tuesday, 21 June 2016 20:29:45 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
A bin is a bin, I did not take you for one of those fusspots who
gets possessive over "their" bin which is identical to everyone
else's and owned by the council anyway.

Not all bins are owned by the council; some councils 'give' them to
residents who then have to pay for replacements in the event of loss
or damage.

And bins are not identical. Some get washed out weekly and given a
spray of Bin-Fresh. Others have six-month-old sludge and bloodstains
accumulating at the bottom.

Round here there are at least three different sizes of bin. Normally
one gets the middle size, but can ask for a small one if space is
tight and the bin isn't used so much.

There are large ones (we have one) which are no longer available, but
still emptied OK (a 'grandfathered' arrangement).

No longer available? Why? We can't get them for free unless there
are 6 people in the house, but I see plenty in the babymaking streets.
What do people do round your way if they have 4 kids? I can fill the
medium sized one with just myself and a few pets.

The council response is "Tough. You aren't recycling enough. Your
problem."

Actually I was thinking of the main recycling bin. I wanted a bigger
paper/card/plastic one.

Originally all we could have was the red plastic insert in the larger
blue bin (red for paper and card, blue for cans and plastic). I thought
this was a daft idea and said so.

I discovered that they'd quietly introduced a full size red bin - just
walk into the council depot with the insert, and come out with a full
size bin. I am told you have to pay for them now (I would have incurred a
delivery charge anyway if I'd not collected it).

We are allowed to bale up extra cardboard and leave it next to the bin,
though.