Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default Wheelie bin style

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:30:47 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 23:04:16 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 22:08:22 +0100, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 19:54:16 +0100, ARW wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 07:49:23 +0100, NY wrote:

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:44:12 +0100, Tim+
wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:
A neighbouring council has wheelie bins that look like this, but
I've never seen them anywhere else. What is the hood for?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpzkw50rday7lsz/bin.jpg?dl=0

It's to enable the bin to be picked up from the roadside
completely mechanically (if it's close enough to the road) without
manual intervention. The lorry just pulls up alongside and a
mechanical arm controlled from the cab does all the work.

The bigger "canopy" makes alignment less critical.

Ahhh, I didn't think of that as I got mixed up and thought it
wasn't on the truck side of the bin. The binmen don't wheel mine
to the lorry and hook the handles on, the other side gets hooked
on.

So I guess people not bothering to put the bins the right way round
(like my neighbour) wouldn't get it collected at all. Round here
they're wheeled to the lorry by the binmen and they don't mind the
odd one facing wrongly.

You mean there is a "right way round" for putting wheelie bins on
the roadside for collection? I never knew that. I've never seen any
instructions. Looking along our road, people place them various ways
round -
some with the handle closest to the road (which means walking into
the road as you are dragging it onto the grass verge), some with the
handle furthest away from the road (closest to the house) and some
at right angles (which is how you would drag it behind you as you
walk towards the kerb but then turn at the last minute to avoid
walking into the road).

But our bins are always collected and hooked onto the lorry by hand.
One man typically walks ahead and gathers several bins into a group,
and then he and another guy take the bins, two at a time, onto the
two "hooks" on the lorry.

We were told to when we first got the bins, and it seems pretty
obvious, and 90% of them are done this way, to place the handles
nearest the road.

Imagine you're collecting 1000 bins in the day, would you want to
turn them all round to pull them to the lorry?

I cannot imagine that as I am not a bin man.

Does a bin man's wishes concern you?

They are paid to empty the bins.

Occasionally they put one back outside the correct house when they
have emptied it.

And sometimes they don't damage it.

Those things can't get damaged unless you run them over with a tank. Or
in council house areas, have someone jump onto them from a rooftop.

So you might think. They've smashed the corner off two of mine. I
actually saw one of them happen.

How did they do it?

And who cares? If it breaks, they get you a new one.

The best one round here was when we had 'inserts' for paper inside a
bigger recycling bin. They were filmed emptying the inserts into the
main bin, presumably to save time.

What moaning little twerp filmed them?

Dunno, but why shouldn't they? They're paid to do a job and they weren't
doing it.

Because it doesn't affect the person filming.

--
When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does it wonder why you're sitting there staring at carpeting?