Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT wheelie bin pollution rant

"Dave" wrote in message
Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

Were you around when we had metal dustbins with metal lids and nobody but
rubbish in bags?

The noise was unbelievable (the lids rarely fitted properly after being
bashed around). The binners would lift the bins onto their backs and simply
tip the rubbish, ash and other light stuff flying all over the street, and
the stinking, often open, vehicle bouncing over the cobbles to the next
house.

Wheelie bins aren't perfect (nor, as I've said, is people's usage of them)
but the whole system is an enormous improvement on what happened even thirty
years ago here.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Dave" wrote in message
Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

Were you around when we had metal dustbins with metal lids and nobody but
rubbish in bags?

The noise was unbelievable (the lids rarely fitted properly after being
bashed around). The binners would lift the bins onto their backs and
simply tip the rubbish, ash and other light stuff flying all over the
street, and the stinking, often open, vehicle bouncing over the cobbles to
the next house.

Metal bins! Cobbles! You were lucky. We had to get up just after 't bin men
'ad gone, scrape rubbish together w't tongue all week on earth and spit it
into back o' t'orse &cart. Young people today...cont on p 94

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

Were you around when we had metal dustbins with metal lids and nobody but
rubbish in bags?

The noise was unbelievable (the lids rarely fitted properly after being
bashed around). The binners would lift the bins onto their backs and
simply tip the rubbish, ash and other light stuff flying all over the
street, and the stinking, often open, vehicle bouncing over the cobbles
to the next house.

Metal bins! Cobbles! You were lucky. We had to get up just after 't bin
men 'ad gone, scrape rubbish together w't tongue all week on earth and
spit it into back o' t'orse &cart. Young people today...cont on p 94

I wasn't joking.

When I was a child there were still some middens - three sided brick
shelters where the coal ash (there wasn't much other rubbish) was dumped.
The metal dustbins were a godsend to householders.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:08:53 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

"Dave" wrote in message
Is it just me that find wheelie bins noise-polluters?

Were you around when we had metal dustbins with metal lids and nobody
but
rubbish in bags?

Yes. I remember the newer plastic ones too. I don't remember anything
*but*
rubbish being put in bags!

The noise was unbelievable (the lids rarely fitted properly after being
bashed around). The binners would lift the bins onto their backs and
simply tip the rubbish, ash and other light stuff flying all over the
street, and the stinking, often open, vehicle bouncing over the cobbles
to the next house.

Did I advocate going backwards to metal bins?

NONONO!!! I was saying that things are better now. Perhaps we're more
sensitive ... :-)

It seems to me some material
science could reduce the bin-din. I don't really think it makes much sense
say that because things were bad before they can't be made a little better
now.

I didn't. See above.

Perhaps you could make a million by designing a desirable noiseless bin ...

Metal bins! Cobbles! You were lucky. We had to get up just after 't bin
men 'ad gone, scrape rubbish together w't tongue all week on earth and
spit it into back o' t'orse &cart. Young people today...cont on p 94

Aye lad. I wemember see'in ya ot there doo'n it.

I wasn't joking.

Neither was I. Some of us *are* well over 50 and also have memories that
work.

No but there was a mocking air to Bob's reply.

My gran *really* did live in a hovel and due to ill health and losing her
husband who died at 34 wasn't able to cope. My mum was brought up there
and I as
a child remember the squalor of it all. Outside loo, cockroaches and
plenty more
- that place had it all. So I don't need any lectures on what things "used
to be
like".

Um - I apologise if you think I was lecturing, I wasn't. Yours was the
self-admitted rant.

My grandparents didn't live in hovels although they wouldn't be allowed now.
Mum's mother died in 1937 so I didn't know her, my parents inherited the
rental of the back to back scullery house so I was brought up there. Dad's
parents always seemed very old to me, they died when they were 83. I didn't
see squalor in their house although they lived partly underground in a
'cellar kitchen', it was a fascinating place. In fact my grandma's house was
cleaner than ours is now, there were no cockroaches or anything nasty.
Before you say it, we don't have them either :-) There was a pig in
Grandad's garden in the war but they're not undesirable :-).

Both grandparents had outside lavatories, as did I until I was eleven,
there's nothing squalid about that. Spouse and I had an outside lav, four
houses down the street, for the first four years of our married life - in a
one up and down house with a cold tap. We had metal dustbins in the lavatory
yard, my grandparents had middens.

I really do think that the *design* of wheelie bins isn't a problem, it's
the way people use them which causes the noise. You're careful about it, so
am I, but many people seem to ignore noise nowadays. Perhaps they always did

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 7 Jul,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

When I was a child there were still some middens - three sided brick
shelters where the coal ash (there wasn't much other rubbish) was dumped.
The metal dustbins were a godsend to householders.

Didn't middens contain the output of the toilet as well?

In earlier times.

They're fascinating for archaeologists.