Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

My local waste site is strict about plaster not going in with hard core
but they have a separate giant skip for plaster board and plaster.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Might be an entirely separate issue, but a lot of plasterboard is or was
given an Artex treatment, which for quite a number of years contained
asbestos.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if
it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Might be an entirely separate issue, but a lot of plasterboard is or was
given an Artex treatment, which for quite a number of years contained
asbestos.

It has nothing to do with asbestos.

It's a recyle issue. Even new builds have a plasterboard only skip.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/16 16:38, Bob Minchin wrote:
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything
up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!

These days yes. Used to be the end product of coal power station sulfur
scrubbers.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take
plasterboard, saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are
made of the stuff, if it was in any way dangerous, we surely should
have figured this out by now! Maybe its just hazardous to the
machinery that crunches everything up.... Brian

The owner of a "grabber" wagon would not take plasterboard mixed with rubble
on a house renovation I worked on.
He said that if it goes into landfill it produces hydrogen sulphate gas.
There was no way that he was taking it and turned a bit nasty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything
up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!

Same as coal and asbestos

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:45:35 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense. In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

--
Q: If you have a mothball in one hand and another mothball in the other hand, what would you have?
A: The undivided attention of a very large moth!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:32:49 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

Another reason to vote leave. WTF has it to do with Europe what WE do with OUR landfills?

--
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:38:49 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!

That's the same reason I use to scoff at the greenies saying we shouldn't burn oil and coal. It was created by rotting vegetation and animals, so used to be in the bloody air where we're putting it!

--
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything
up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!

These days yes. Used to be the end product of coal power station sulfur
scrubbers.

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

--
Flabbergasted (adj.), appalled over how much weight you have gained.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/12/2016 4:45 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

My tip has a separate (free) skip although I must admit that the last
lot I dumped was in mixed bags of waste, which I didn't segregate.
(Someone else bagged them).

I'd assumed they'd end up recycling it for the gypsum, as we close even
the coal stations with FGD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip.

Lovely. You sure have got one over on them eh.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Even better, contaminate the green waste as well.

I hope you get it all back when you buy a bag of compost. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

Wood has a tendency to burst into flames in the event of a fire, plaster
doesn't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:12:06 +0100, Phil L wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

Wood has a tendency to burst into flames in the event of a fire, plaster
doesn't

Then don't set fire to your wall.

--
Seven dwarfs sat in the tub, feeling Happy.
Then Happy got out, so they all felt Grumpy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip.

Lovely. You sure have got one over on them eh.

Yes, I didn't pay them.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Even better, contaminate the green waste as well.

I hope you get it all back when you buy a bag of compost. ;-)

The green bin is not for green waste, it's for landfill, which is where plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recycling option. Green waste goes in the brown bin here. Different councils use different coloured bins.

--
How does a man know when his wife is losing interest?
When her favorite sexual position is next door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

And this stuff is in your house....

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

I once hired a skip and they made no requirements at all apart from don't fill over the top. I assumed anything recyclable would make them money so they didn't care.

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

Waste disposal is paid for by council tax. How they sort it isn't my problem.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

None of the recycling bins I have list plasterboard as possible contents.. AFAIK there isn't a place to put it in the recycling centre. Besides, why should I take it down there on my own time and petrol and messing up the inside of my car when I can get them to collect it for nowt? I only take stuff there if it's too big to get in a bin. They want stuff recycled, they do it for me or not at all.

--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

Heh! That's what I did a couple of years ago, not to avoid paying to
dispose of it, but to add extra sound blocking to the walls, rather than
bin it.

James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip.

Lovely. You sure have got one over on them eh.

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Even better, contaminate the green waste as well.

I hope you get it all back when you buy a bag of compost. ;-)

The green bin is not for green waste, it's for landfill, which is where plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recycling option. Green waste goes in the brown bin here. Different councils use different coloured bins.

Sorry, you did say and I missed that (and our green bin is for green
waste).

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:53:46 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even
though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Hucker

Get lost Flounder.

--
When they found out their wives were attending a sex-toy party,
the husbands refused to go and pick them up,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip.

Lovely. You sure have got one over on them eh.

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area. How they do that is not my concern.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Even better, contaminate the green waste as well.

I hope you get it all back when you buy a bag of compost. ;-)

The green bin is not for green waste, it's for landfill, which is where plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recycling option. Green waste goes in the brown bin here. Different councils use different coloured bins.

Sorry, you did say and I missed that (and our green bin is for green
waste).

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business. Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely. Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it. For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

--
A man is a person who will pay two dollars for a one-dollar item he wants.
A woman will pay one dollar for a two-dollar item that she doesn't want.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:58:47 +0100, T i m wrote:

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Cow tipping is more fun.

--
What's the best form of birth control after 50?
Nudity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian-Gaff wrote:

[...]

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone says about landfill. Ever since Margaret Thatcher invented global warming all on her own there has been no limit to the outright, pointless lies told about the environment.

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to decompose or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is nearly inert but hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer.
What exactly causes one to turn into the other?
And what sort of traces are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over?
And how many of the posters involved in this discussion really know what they are talking about?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/16 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

The principle reason is (apparently) it reacts with certain food wastes
to produce hydrogen sulphide (aka stink bombs) - however, the gas is
toxic in sufficient concentrations.

So plasterboard either has to be recycled (good - as it is a pretty
recyclable material) or buried in a serrated landfill.

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have
room for yet another roro skip.

The annoying thing at Heathfield dump is the PB skip is like the paper
skip - has slots in the side to "post" the PB through which is rather
tedious compared to lobbing it in the top.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/16 16:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Jeesus.

My local one does not take it - so I booked a skip for the dormer strip
out - and have 3/4 filled a midi (4yd). That should leave enough space
for the offcuts from the new PB - all other material I take to the dump.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/06/16 16:38, Bob Minchin wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

It's a lot less flammable!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

Yes, so does ours, I presume it's to keep it dry.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

Wood has a tendency to burst into flames in the event of a fire, plaster
doesn't

Then don't set fire to your wall.

You are Rodney AICMFP
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone says about landfill.

The guidance is from the EA

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/322313/lit_8488_31e384.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have
room for yet another roro skip.

Oh no, our tip used to have a separate plaster skip and it was free last
year, no doubt they just see this as another earner, they have quite a
list of items at £3 a pop ...

http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/waste-and-recycling/waste-disposal-charges

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to decompose or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is nearly inert but hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer.
What exactly causes one to turn into the other?
And what sort of traces are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over?

Looks like you're out of look ordering some bedtime reading ...

http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781849110808
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/12/2016 7:52 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/06/16 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

The principle reason is (apparently) it reacts with certain food wastes
to produce hydrogen sulphide (aka stink bombs) - however, the gas is
toxic in sufficient concentrations.

Don't dispute that H2S might be the argument, but I'm not sure of the
logic. Yes, it's toxic and the problem, indoors, is that you smell it
very easily at a safe concentration but then the nose gets saturated (or
something), and you don't smell it any more, and you die. But certainly
until the 1960's every decent school chemistry lab had a Kipps Apparatus
(and had done for 100 years) and I don't recall hearing of any fatalities.

H2S used to be used in the manufacture of heavy water. I have heard it
argued that one reason for the general UK reluctance for Candu and
similar heavy water reactors is that you couldn't site a heavy water
manufacturing plant in the UK because a significant accident there would
kill people 100 miles away. (Yes I know we had a heavy water reactor at
Winfrith, and had plans to build a commercial one, but we got the heavy
water for the prototype from Canada where they have plenty of space to
make it).

But there's sulphur in lots of things. If you stir up the black slime at
the bottom of ditches, or in drain gulleys, you get the distinctive
smell. It's been manufactured by anaerobic bacteria which of course
means they are operating the absence of oxygen. It oxidises fairly
readily in air. Waste tips only smell of it when they are disturbed.

Maybe there is some argument about ground water? But it's not very
soluble in water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

Wood has a tendency to burst into flames in the event of a fire, plaster
doesn't

Then don't set fire to your wall.

You are Rodney AICMFP

Ahm no Strayn.

--
Testicle (n.), a humorous question on an exam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/06/16 16:38, Bob Minchin wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

It's a lot less flammable!

Why do you make a habit of having flames in your house?

And if you don't want flammable, why do you have carpets, wood floorboards, etc?

--
If you own a £3,000 machine gun and a £5,000 rocket launcher, but you can't afford shoes, you may be a Muslim.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:25:56 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

Well (probably) sort of. You have paid for the ability to dispose of
such waste at the local refuse centre but you haven't paid to have
that sort of waste *collected** (for free).

Where would you draw the line ... anything you could cut up and get in
you general waste bin *you* would consider 'quite reasonable'?

Other people (for some strange reason) have the responsibility of
taking that sort of thing to the tip themselves, or *paying* the
Council or another party to take it away for them. I'm guessing you
would consider them 'mugs'?

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area.

Yes, the cost of collection and disposal of your *household* waste is
covered by your council Tax, *not* the brick wall you took down and
'lost' in the bottom of the bin over several weeks (like a scene out
of the 'Great escape'). ;-)

How they do that is not my concern.

But the cost of should be your concern otherwise 'the rest of us' are
having to cover you (if you are 'abusing' a service that you should
either deal with yourself or pay for then it is an abuse).

snip

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

We had a conventional 'dustbin', then just bags and now a small black
wheelie bin for 'household waste' and a larger green bin for
(conveniently) 'green waste'.

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business.

But ask 100 people (or the 'Environmental Services' at the local
council) what they consider to be 'household waste' and I'm betting
few would consider plasterboard to be on the list.

Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely.

Putting *your* plasterboard in it is a different matter entirely. ;-)

Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

I believe you would, both morally and officially.

For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

Quite! Now, if you have just had a new bathroom fitted and there is
some protective plastic film, some empty silicone tubes and paper
cloths then whilst it is *officially* commercial waste (the tradesman
should take it away and would need a waste carriers licence to cover
that (that they would fill in and you would countersign)), most people
would allow it to go in the 'household waste' bin. Now, I know you
would smash the old sanitaryware up and drip feed it into your
'household waste' but that wouldn't be 'legal'.

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

By your rules. ;-)

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE some people (a tiny minority luckily) have
no moral compass and don't think they are responsible for their own
waste ... or think it's right and fair to saddle others with the cost
of disposing of your waste though unofficial means. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

plasterboard alan_m UK diy 6 September 13th 14 05:42 PM
Plasterboard norm UK diy 6 January 17th 06 10:24 AM
plasterboard Mike UK diy 1 October 10th 05 02:44 AM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 3 July 26th 05 09:40 AM
Where to buy plasterboard? Bob Eager UK diy 11 December 13th 03 12:02 AM