Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:53:46 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into
the stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the
scraps into skips etc.

Heh! That's what I did a couple of years ago, not to avoid paying to
dispose of it, but to add extra sound blocking to the walls, rather
than bin it.

James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even
though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Hucker

Get lost Flounder.

Peter Hucker, the class clown.
More and more people are now aware of what a prick you are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even
though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Hucker

Get lost Flounder.

Peter Hucker, the class clown.
More and more people are now aware of what a prick you are.

PKB.

--
I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6/12/2016 8:04 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone says
about landfill.

The guidance is from the EA

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/322313/lit_8488_31e384.pdf

Interesting, thanks. I thought it seemed sensible up to a point.

I suspect that the point about combining it with biodigradable waste
(i.e. organic matter) is that then you have all the raw materials for
various sorts of bacterial activity. Extra sulphate, even in insoluble
form, is fertiliser for the sulphate reducing bacteria which like
anaerobic conditions.

But the EA note rather fails to explain exactly why H2S is a *bad thing*
when it is generated some way down in a landfill. Perhaps because as it
percolates out it will oxidise to sulphite and sulphate ions,
potentially leading to acidic run-off to rivers? Or worse, in limestone
country, it will recombine to form ..... calcium sulphate, releasing
deadly carbon dioxide.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

"Much"? I suspect incineration is the exception rather than the rule given
the "popularity" of incinerators

Certainly no incinerators in my neck of the wood. The only one in Scotland
appears to be in Lerwick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...United_Kingdom

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 20:39:55 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

"Much"? I suspect incineration is the exception rather than the rule given
the "popularity" of incinerators

Certainly no incinerators in my neck of the wood. The only one in Scotland
appears to be in Lerwick.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...United_Kingdom

Maybe it's because I live in North London (one of the most heavily
populated cities in the world (22nd)), 'much' (if not all) of our
household waste goes here (Britain's largest incinerator apparently):

http://www.londonwaste.co.uk/community/ecopark-energy/

But yes, if you live in the back of beyond, a weekly bonfire will
probably keep you covered. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 21:05:08 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:25:56 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

snip

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

Well (probably) sort of. You have paid for the ability to dispose of
such waste at the local refuse centre but you haven't paid to have
that sort of waste *collected** (for free).

I've paid to have all waste collected. I even sort it into different coloured bins for them.

Where would you draw the line ... anything you could cut up and get in
you general waste bin *you* would consider 'quite reasonable'?

If it's not covered by one of the recycling bins, then yes, I put anything in there.

Other people (for some strange reason) have the responsibility of
taking that sort of thing to the tip themselves, or *paying* the
Council or another party to take it away for them. I'm guessing you
would consider them 'mugs'?

Indeed.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area.

Yes, the cost of collection and disposal of your *household* waste is
covered by your council Tax, *not* the brick wall you took down and
'lost' in the bottom of the bin over several weeks (like a scene out
of the 'Great escape'). ;-)

No need to put that in there. They have a rubble skip at the dump. Takes too long to put that in the green bin.

How they do that is not my concern.

But the cost of should be your concern otherwise 'the rest of us' are
having to cover you (if you are 'abusing' a service that you should
either deal with yourself or pay for then it is an abuse).

It's a flat rate no matter how much I use it, just like I don't try to save bandwidth on my internet connection, or try to save water.

snip

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

We had a conventional 'dustbin', then just bags and now a small black
wheelie bin for 'household waste' and a larger green bin for
(conveniently) 'green waste'.

When I were a lad, it was your own bin, which was lifted into the dustcart by the non-lazy dustmen, or scaffies in Scotland. Then health and softy declared the minimum wage otherwise useless to society dustmen couldn't lift anything or it might hurt their backs, so they produced wheelybins. In the area I currently live, they were green. I think they were black where I used to live, and I've seen black ones in the council area west of me (really odd ones with a sort of skirt on the top, never worked out what that is for). Now they've added blue for paper/card/plastic, brown for garden waste, a blue box for glass and anything electrical like a laptop or toaster or batteries, and a little grey tub for food waste.

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business.

But ask 100 people (or the 'Environmental Services' at the local
council) what they consider to be 'household waste' and I'm betting
few would consider plasterboard to be on the list.

The Environmental Services perhaps, but most people chuck anything into their bins if they can.

Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely.

Putting *your* plasterboard in it is a different matter entirely. ;-)

Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

I believe you would, both morally and officially.

If the council want it recycled, they should do so. Not my problem.

For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

Quite! Now, if you have just had a new bathroom fitted and there is
some protective plastic film, some empty silicone tubes and paper
cloths then whilst it is *officially* commercial waste (the tradesman
should take it away and would need a waste carriers licence to cover
that (that they would fill in and you would countersign)), most people
would allow it to go in the 'household waste' bin. Now, I know you
would smash the old sanitaryware up and drip feed it into your
'household waste' but that wouldn't be 'legal'.

The tradesmen who do things legally cost more to hire.

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

Incinerators are still used? Dundee used to have one, but I thought they got rid of them all as they polluted too much. It's certainly landfill here (which stinks - they put it near all the council houses).

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

By your rules. ;-)

Well the council have never refused to collect any of my bins. Except when I put the wrong colour out by mistake - then I emailed them asking why their dustmen were too lazy to walk up my drive to get the right one. They sent the truck back out the next day.

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE some people (a tiny minority luckily) have
no moral compass and don't think they are responsible for their own
waste ... or think it's right and fair to saddle others with the cost
of disposing of your waste though unofficial means. ;-(

If it was free to dump it at the proper place, everybody would do so.

--
I had amnesia once -- or twice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian-Gaff
writes
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

The gypsum can be recycled to make new plasterboard.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gypsum_recycling
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

Well (probably) sort of. You have paid for the ability to dispose of
such waste at the local refuse centre but you haven't paid to have
that sort of waste *collected** (for free).

I've paid to have all waste collected.

Yes, all 'household waste'.

I even sort it into different coloured bins for them.

Yes, all your 'household waste' inc 'recyclable waste', NOT *any
waste*.

Where would you draw the line ... anything you could cut up and get in
you general waste bin *you* would consider 'quite reasonable'?

If it's not covered by one of the recycling bins, then yes, I put anything in there.

;-(

Other people (for some strange reason) have the responsibility of
taking that sort of thing to the tip themselves, or *paying* the
Council or another party to take it away for them. I'm guessing you
would consider them 'mugs'?

Indeed.

Thought you might.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area.

Yes, the cost of collection and disposal of your *household* waste is
covered by your council Tax, *not* the brick wall you took down and
'lost' in the bottom of the bin over several weeks (like a scene out
of the 'Great escape'). ;-)

No need to put that in there.

Oh, why not?

They have a rubble skip at the dump.

That normally also takes larger quantities of glass and ceramics.

Takes too long to put that in the green bin.

So that's one of your determining factors re doing 'the right thing'?

How they do that is not my concern.

But the cost of should be your concern otherwise 'the rest of us' are
having to cover you (if you are 'abusing' a service that you should
either deal with yourself or pay for then it is an abuse).

It's a flat rate no matter how much I use it, just like I don't try to save bandwidth on my internet connection, or try to save water.

Sure, but there is a difference between not saving and squandering.

snip

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

We had a conventional 'dustbin', then just bags and now a small black
wheelie bin for 'household waste' and a larger green bin for
(conveniently) 'green waste'.

When I were a lad, it was your own bin, which was lifted into the dustcart by the non-lazy dustmen, or scaffies in Scotland.

Same here.

Then health and softy declared the minimum wage otherwise useless to society dustmen couldn't lift anything or it might hurt their backs, so they produced wheelybins.

Yes, the cost of workman downtime and insurance payout's.

In the area I currently live, they were green. I think they were black where I used to live, and I've seen black ones in the council area west of me (really odd ones with a sort of skirt on the top, never worked out what that is for). Now they've added blue for paper/card/plastic, brown for garden waste, a blue box for glass and anything electrical like a laptop or toaster or batteries, and a little grey tub for food waste.

Feck (that's a lot of bins).

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business.

But ask 100 people (or the 'Environmental Services' at the local
council) what they consider to be 'household waste' and I'm betting
few would consider plasterboard to be on the list.

The Environmental Services perhaps, but most people chuck anything into their bins if they can.

No, 'many' might but luckily I believe 'most' follow the rules.

Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely.

Putting *your* plasterboard in it is a different matter entirely. ;-)

Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

I believe you would, both morally and officially.

If the council want it recycled, they should do so.

They will recycle everything they can to keep your council tax down.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Not my problem.

Apparently not, but legally and morally it *is* your problem. You own
the waste, and it's your responsibility to dispose of it using the
proper procedures.

For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

Quite! Now, if you have just had a new bathroom fitted and there is
some protective plastic film, some empty silicone tubes and paper
cloths then whilst it is *officially* commercial waste (the tradesman
should take it away and would need a waste carriers licence to cover
that (that they would fill in and you would countersign)), most people
would allow it to go in the 'household waste' bin. Now, I know you
would smash the old sanitaryware up and drip feed it into your
'household waste' but that wouldn't be 'legal'.

The tradesmen who do things legally cost more to hire.

Of course, because they aren't passing your costs onto the rest of us.

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

Incinerators are still used?

Yup.

Dundee used to have one, but I thought they got rid of them all as they polluted too much. It's certainly landfill here (which stinks - they put it near all the council houses).

We are fairly close to what I understand is the biggest incinerator in
the UK and it seems to go to some effort to clean up it's exhaust:

http://www.londonwaste.co.uk/recycle/

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

By your rules. ;-)

Well the council have never refused to collect any of my bins.

Not really the point though eh. It was really windy one night and I
put one of the small recycling bins in the big green waste bin to stop
it blowing down the road. The collection came first thing the next
morning (when it was still windy) and whist the are supposed to
briefly check the green bin only contains green waste, they didn't.
;-(

Except when I put the wrong colour out by mistake - then I emailed them asking why their dustmen were too lazy to walk up my drive to get the right one.

Again, nothing to do with them being 'too lazy but you not following
the rules. When they went from bags to wheelie bins round here they
also extended the rounds on the grounds it should (now) be quicker
emptying bins rather than picking up bags. It isn't.

They sent the truck back out the next day.

Yup, they will often send out a 'Street Cleansing' truck to mop up
anything missed or forgotten stuff. Try that too often though and they
may have a word with you (to start with).

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE some people (a tiny minority luckily) have
no moral compass and don't think they are responsible for their own
waste ... or think it's right and fair to saddle others with the cost
of disposing of your waste though unofficial means. ;-(

If it was free to dump it at the proper place, everybody would do so.

It is free to dump *everything* at our local recycling centre (so far)
and still we still see rubbish all over the place (and not counting
fly tips and the odd crisp packet), including outside the gates when
people get the opening hours wrong. [1]

It seems that *some people* think they are above the rules and that
nothing they do costs anyone anything extra ...

Cheers, T i m

[1] As I did a while back when I turned up with a car full of junk on
one of their new 'Closed all day' days. So, I drove home and took it
back the next day. My rubbish, my responsibility and I consider myself
lucky that I can still dispose of this stuff for nothing. After all,
my local Council didn't ask me to buy it all, why should it pay to get
rid of it all (as it currently does for nothing).

Part of the reason of course is some people aren't 'good citizens' and
the cost of clearing up fly tipped or abandoned rubbish isn't free
either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 18:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:59:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 12/06/2016 17:00, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:45:35 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at
all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

And this stuff is in your house....

Its fine in your house. The problem comes when its placed in landfill.

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

I once hired a skip and they made no requirements at all apart from
don't fill over the top. I assumed anything recyclable would make them
money so they didn't care.

Once? Ten years ago?

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

Waste disposal is paid for by council tax. How they sort it isn't my
problem.

That does not include provision of skips you dozy ****.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

None of the recycling bins I have list plasterboard as possible

What has that got to do with anything?

contents. AFAIK there isn't a place to put it in the recycling centre.
Besides, why should I take it down there on my own time and petrol and
messing up the inside of my car when I can get them to collect it for
nowt? I only take stuff there if it's too big to get in a bin. They
want stuff recycled, they do it for me or not at all.

That would be a woosh then.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 18:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Ah, sorry did not spot it was parrot ****er - yup that explains everything.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 19:52, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Sunday, 12 June 2016 17:59:17 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2016 17:00, James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin
over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it
was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone
says about landfill. Ever since Margaret Thatcher invented global
warming all on her own there has been no limit to the outright,
pointless lies told about the environment.

Can I have a pint of whatever you are drinking?

I know you have a reputation for posting incomprehensible ********, but
this is pretty far out even for you.

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to
decompose or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is
nearly inert but hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer. What
exactly causes one to turn into the other? And what sort of traces
are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over? And how many
of the posters involved in this discussion really know what they are
talking about?

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~franzen/public...lfur_Cycle.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 6/12/2016 7:52 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/06/16 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything
up....
Brian

The principle reason is (apparently) it reacts with certain food wastes
to produce hydrogen sulphide (aka stink bombs) - however, the gas is
toxic in sufficient concentrations.

Don't dispute that H2S might be the argument, but I'm not sure of the
logic. Yes, it's toxic and the problem, indoors, is that you smell it very
easily at a safe concentration but then the nose gets saturated (or
something), and you don't smell it any more, and you die. But certainly
until the 1960's every decent school chemistry lab had a Kipps Apparatus
(and had done for 100 years) and I don't recall hearing of any fatalities.

There have been a few with ships and sewer facilities in ships etc.

H2S used to be used in the manufacture of heavy water. I have heard it
argued that one reason for the general UK reluctance for Candu and similar
heavy water reactors is that you couldn't site a heavy water manufacturing
plant in the UK because a significant accident there would kill people 100
miles away. (Yes I know we had a heavy water reactor at Winfrith, and had
plans to build a commercial one, but we got the heavy water for the
prototype from Canada where they have plenty of space to make it).

But there's sulphur in lots of things. If you stir up the black slime at
the bottom of ditches, or in drain gulleys, you get the distinctive smell.
It's been manufactured by anaerobic bacteria which of course means they
are operating the absence of oxygen. It oxidises fairly readily in air.
Waste tips only smell of it when they are disturbed.

Maybe there is some argument about ground water? But it's not very soluble
in water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:55:31 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 12/06/16 17:02, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:43:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 12/06/16 16:38, Bob Minchin wrote:

We should be using wood. Plasterboard makes a right mess. Whoever
thought making walls out of powder was a good thing?

It's a lot less flammable!

Why do you make a habit of having flames in your house?

And if you don't want flammable, why do you have carpets, wood
floorboards, etc?

I don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Watts wrote:

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have
room for yet another roro skip.

Oh no, our tip used to have a separate plaster skip and it was free
last year, no doubt they just see this as another earner, they have
quite a list of items at £3 a pop ...

http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/env.../waste-and-rec
ycling/waste-disposal-charges

Ouch.

I realise than LA's are under budgetary pressure and they are all
cutting things, putting up charges etc. but that is just asking for
people to fly tip or to put it in their bins.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd say the opposite. The last time I saw one of his posts it was bull****, but this one makes sense.

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to
decompose or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is
nearly inert but hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer. What
exactly causes one to turn into the other? And what sort of traces
are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over? And how many
of the posters involved in this discussion really know what they are
talking about?

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~franzen/public...lfur_Cycle.pdf

Don't make me read all that....

--
Those who get too big for their britches will be exposed in the end.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

James Wilkinson wrote:

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even
though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

Look at who's posting and you have your answer

Hucker

Ah, sorry did not spot it was parrot ****er - yup that explains everything.

Grow up.

--
I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence. -- Doug McLeod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at
all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

And this stuff is in your house....

Its fine in your house. The problem comes when its placed in landfill.

Yes, it magically transforms....

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

I once hired a skip and they made no requirements at all apart from
don't fill over the top. I assumed anything recyclable would make them
money so they didn't care.

Once? Ten years ago?

No, about 4 years ago. They said what are you throwing away? I said general waste. The skip ended up with wood, metal, green stuff, plasterboard, rocks, soil, and anything my neighbours wanted to chuck out at the time.

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

Waste disposal is paid for by council tax. How they sort it isn't my
problem.

That does not include provision of skips you dozy ****.

It all goes to the same place, and we were originally discussing taking plasterboard to the public dump remember?

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

None of the recycling bins I have list plasterboard as possible

What has that got to do with anything?

It means there is only one bin left to choose.

contents. AFAIK there isn't a place to put it in the recycling centre.
Besides, why should I take it down there on my own time and petrol and
messing up the inside of my car when I can get them to collect it for
nowt? I only take stuff there if it's too big to get in a bin. They
want stuff recycled, they do it for me or not at all.

That would be a woosh then.

No, I'm just taking the easy option. You spend time and money doing things "properly" if you want, you gullible fool.

--
"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodney Dangerfield.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 17:01:56 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:38:49 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff,
if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

Wasn't there a new (EU ??) rule a while ago about not being allowed to
put gypsum into landfill.

And where do we get gypsum from?? Oh yes, out of the ground!

That's the same reason I use to scoff at the greenies saying we shouldn't burn oil and coal. It was created by rotting vegetation and animals, so used to be in the bloody air where we're putting it!

--
Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together?

You're not clever are you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 15:18:36 UTC+1, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to

There WAS an issue with poison plasterboard at one point.
Dunno what the final outcome was.
http://www.todayshomeowner.com/toxic...-in-your-home/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/16 20:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have
room for yet another roro skip.

Oh no, our tip used to have a separate plaster skip and it was free last
year, no doubt they just see this as another earner, they have quite a
list of items at £3 a pop ...

http://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/environment-and-planning/waste-and-recycling/waste-disposal-charges

It's certainly the way to go if they want fly tipping to increase!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well you learn something every day then. Kind of makes you wonder, if its
not needed why it is in it?
My ceilings are quite old, so probably contain the nasty stuff. All I do
know is that its rubbish when a pipe leaks and smells terrible while you dry
it out to cut out the hole to put in a new bit leavingyou with a pile of
bent and twisted bits of it to get rid of.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
o.uk...
wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at
all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried in
mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is dangerous
stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Well you learn something every day then. Kind of makes you wonder, if
its not needed why it is in it? My ceilings are quite old, so
probably contain the nasty stuff.

Why is what in it? You mean sulphate? Plasterboard is made from gypsum
so by definition it is calcium sulphate ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 10:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
So what do they do with the sulphur content then?
What next, chipboard, hardboard etc?
Brian

Chipboard and hardboard are already recycled into chipboard.
They don't do much in landfill either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:54:03 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

On 13/06/2016 10:15, Brian Gaff wrote:
So what do they do with the sulphur content then?
What next, chipboard, hardboard etc?
Brian

Chipboard and hardboard are already recycled into chipboard.

They used to separate chipboard at our local centre and flat pack it
carefully in one of the large roller skips. At the end it was solid
chipboard up to the top and must have weighed a tonne (well, probably
'tonnes'). ;-)

Now they seem to mix all non-green 'wood', inc MDF and treated stuff.

They don't do much in landfill either.

I wonder if there will be a time when we will re-mine these landfill
sites to reclaim the valuable stuff?

Obviously the houses they built on top will have already fallen down
.... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

You are Rodney AICMFP

It's actually the **** Peter Hucker aka Lieutenant Scott, aka Tough Guy,
aka Mr Macaw etc etc etc under yet another nym.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 00:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 23:08:08 +0100, John Rumm

Ah, sorry did not spot it was parrot ****er - yup that explains
everything.

Grow up.

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 18:35, James Wilkinson wrote:

The green bin is not for green waste, it's for landfill, which is where
plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recycling
option.

I remember watching one of those TV programs about a year ago about DIY
building cheaply using 'seconds' and reclaimed materials.

They got a whole lot of plasterboard seconds direct from the
manufacturer. It was said in the program that the manufacturer normally
recycled their own rejects.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

As he crashed his car at 80 mph into a tractor, maybe we should cut him
a bit of slack. After all, that sort of thing does scramble grey matter.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 22:55, polygonum wrote:
On 13/06/2016 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

As he crashed his car at 80 mph into a tractor, maybe we should cut him
a bit of slack. After all, that sort of thing does scramble grey matter.

Do we do "care in the community" here?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 13/06/2016 22:55, polygonum wrote:
On 13/06/2016 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

As he crashed his car at 80 mph into a tractor, maybe we should cut him
a bit of slack. After all, that sort of thing does scramble grey matter.

Do we do "care in the community" here?

My god, John, I thought only stupid Wodney was awake at this time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/16 02:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/06/2016 22:55, polygonum wrote:
On 13/06/2016 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

As he crashed his car at 80 mph into a tractor, maybe we should cut him
a bit of slack. After all, that sort of thing does scramble grey matter.

Do we do "care in the community" here?

If you want to see care in the community failing, just read the comments
on a London Evening Standard story. Any story.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 18:08:51 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 13/06/2016 00:18, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 23:08:08 +0100, John Rumm

Ah, sorry did not spot it was parrot ****er - yup that explains
everything.

Grow up.

That's rich, coming from a nym shifting troll.

I'm not either of those.

--
Illegal is a big sick bird.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

Please not sig lines are jokes. I wasn't actually asking you.

--
Are part-time bandleaders semi-conductors?
Only if they've had a sex-change. Then they're trans-sisters.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:25:01 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

You are Rodney AICMFP

It's actually the **** Peter Hucker aka Lieutenant Scott, aka Tough Guy,
aka Mr Macaw etc etc etc under yet another nym.

Awa an boil yer heed.

--
The evening news is where they begin with "Good evening", and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

Well (probably) sort of. You have paid for the ability to dispose of
such waste at the local refuse centre but you haven't paid to have
that sort of waste *collected** (for free).

I've paid to have all waste collected.

Yes, all 'household waste'.

I even sort it into different coloured bins for them.

Yes, all your 'household waste' inc 'recyclable waste', NOT *any
waste*.

Waste created not through a business. So yes it's household waste.

Where would you draw the line ... anything you could cut up and get in
you general waste bin *you* would consider 'quite reasonable'?

If it's not covered by one of the recycling bins, then yes, I put anything in there.

;-(

The council are paid to collect what I throw away (hell I can't think of another single thing the council does with my money), I do the sorting they ask, I won't do more than that.

Other people (for some strange reason) have the responsibility of
taking that sort of thing to the tip themselves, or *paying* the
Council or another party to take it away for them. I'm guessing you
would consider them 'mugs'?

Indeed.

Thought you might.

Why pay for what you don't have to? Do you buy music too?

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area.

Yes, the cost of collection and disposal of your *household* waste is
covered by your council Tax, *not* the brick wall you took down and
'lost' in the bottom of the bin over several weeks (like a scene out
of the 'Great escape'). ;-)

No need to put that in there.

Oh, why not?

Too much hassle to pile it up and stick it in the bin over many many collections. Easier to take it to the skip in the car or on my neighbour's trailer.

They have a rubble skip at the dump.

That normally also takes larger quantities of glass and ceramics.

Glass is collected in my blue box.

Takes too long to put that in the green bin.

So that's one of your determining factors re doing 'the right thing'?

About the only one.

How they do that is not my concern.

But the cost of should be your concern otherwise 'the rest of us' are
having to cover you (if you are 'abusing' a service that you should
either deal with yourself or pay for then it is an abuse).

It's a flat rate no matter how much I use it, just like I don't try to save bandwidth on my internet connection, or try to save water.

Sure, but there is a difference between not saving and squandering.

No there isn't.

snip

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

We had a conventional 'dustbin', then just bags and now a small black
wheelie bin for 'household waste' and a larger green bin for
(conveniently) 'green waste'.

When I were a lad, it was your own bin, which was lifted into the dustcart by the non-lazy dustmen, or scaffies in Scotland.

Same here.

Then health and softy declared the minimum wage otherwise useless to society dustmen couldn't lift anything or it might hurt their backs, so they produced wheelybins.

Yes, the cost of workman downtime and insurance payout's.

Don't pay them when they're off sick and don't insure them. **** the unions. Vote conservative.

If you injure yourself at work, you're clearly not cut out to do physical labour.

In the area I currently live, they were green. I think they were black where I used to live, and I've seen black ones in the council area west of me (really odd ones with a sort of skirt on the top, never worked out what that is for). Now they've added blue for paper/card/plastic, brown for garden waste, a blue box for glass and anything electrical like a laptop or toaster or batteries, and a little grey tub for food waste.

Feck (that's a lot of bins).

They claim 80% of waste is recycled. Might have been 70%.

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business.

But ask 100 people (or the 'Environmental Services' at the local
council) what they consider to be 'household waste' and I'm betting
few would consider plasterboard to be on the list.

The Environmental Services perhaps, but most people chuck anything into their bins if they can.

No, 'many' might but luckily I believe 'most' follow the rules.

No such rules. As far as I know from a quick scan (which is all anyone will ever do) of the recycling leaflet, you put recyclable stuff in the various coloured bins, everything else in the waste bin, and "bulky items that won't fit in your bins" is taken to the recycling centre or you pay them £30 to uplift it.

And most people read less thoroughly than that, I see plastic in the blue boxes outside people's houses all the time. They don't even learn from their mistakes, because if you put something in the blue box they don't want, it gets left in it (they sort it in the back of the van).

Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely.

Putting *your* plasterboard in it is a different matter entirely. ;-)

Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it.

I believe you would, both morally and officially.

If the council want it recycled, they should do so.

They will recycle everything they can to keep your council tax down.
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

If it's not cost effective to recycle, we shouldn't be doing it.

Not my problem.

Apparently not, but legally and morally it *is* your problem. You own
the waste, and it's your responsibility to dispose of it using the
proper procedures.

I have far more interesting things to do with my time than be that pedantic.

For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

Quite! Now, if you have just had a new bathroom fitted and there is
some protective plastic film, some empty silicone tubes and paper
cloths then whilst it is *officially* commercial waste (the tradesman
should take it away and would need a waste carriers licence to cover
that (that they would fill in and you would countersign)), most people
would allow it to go in the 'household waste' bin. Now, I know you
would smash the old sanitaryware up and drip feed it into your
'household waste' but that wouldn't be 'legal'.

The tradesmen who do things legally cost more to hire.

Of course, because they aren't passing your costs onto the rest of us.

Why would I want to pay more myself so a stranger pays less?

Much of the 'household waste' is incinerated and I'm not sure bricks,
plasterboard or your old toilet burn that well. ;-(

Incinerators are still used?

Yup.

Dundee used to have one, but I thought they got rid of them all as they polluted too much. It's certainly landfill here (which stinks - they put it near all the council houses).

We are fairly close to what I understand is the biggest incinerator in
the UK and it seems to go to some effort to clean up it's exhaust:

http://www.londonwaste.co.uk/recycle/

Then why do greenies moan about the space taken up by landfills?

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

By your rules. ;-)

Well the council have never refused to collect any of my bins.

Not really the point though eh. It was really windy one night and I
put one of the small recycling bins in the big green waste bin to stop
it blowing down the road. The collection came first thing the next
morning (when it was still windy) and whist the are supposed to
briefly check the green bin only contains green waste, they didn't.
;-(

Why would you expect them to check every time? They only do spot checks to make sure people are recycling well.

If it's windy, I simply place a few housebricks on the lid to stop it flapping open.

Except when I put the wrong colour out by mistake - then I emailed them asking why their dustmen were too lazy to walk up my drive to get the right one.

Again, nothing to do with them being 'too lazy but you not following
the rules. When they went from bags to wheelie bins round here they
also extended the rounds on the grounds it should (now) be quicker
emptying bins rather than picking up bags. It isn't.

One house once in 15 years isn't going to kill them. It took them more time to driv e out here specially.

They sent the truck back out the next day.

Yup, they will often send out a 'Street Cleansing' truck to mop up
anything missed or forgotten stuff. Try that too often though and they
may have a word with you (to start with).

Or just say no.

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE some people (a tiny minority luckily) have
no moral compass and don't think they are responsible for their own
waste ... or think it's right and fair to saddle others with the cost
of disposing of your waste though unofficial means. ;-(

If it was free to dump it at the proper place, everybody would do so.

It is free to dump *everything* at our local recycling centre (so far)
and still we still see rubbish all over the place (and not counting
fly tips and the odd crisp packet), including outside the gates when
people get the opening hours wrong. [1]

It seems that *some people* think they are above the rules and that
nothing they do costs anyone anything extra ...

It's most likely not free if you're a tradesman. Here they charge £40 (!) for a vanfull or trailerfull of rubbish. The local tradesmen simply pretend it's domestic waste and use their wife's car/ neighbour's car etc.

Cheers, T i m

[1] As I did a while back when I turned up with a car full of junk on
one of their new 'Closed all day' days. So, I drove home and took it
back the next day. My rubbish, my responsibility and I consider myself
lucky that I can still dispose of this stuff for nothing. After all,
my local Council didn't ask me to buy it all, why should it pay to get
rid of it all (as it currently does for nothing).

Their fault for not being open. Mine is open till about sunset every day of the year except xmas and new year's day. So I've never had to leave anything outside the gates, although I did leave half a trailer of hedge all down the access road as their speedbumps knocked it out. I told the arsehole at the barrier he had extra work to do because some moron had littered the road with bumps, on a road where 50% of cars are towing something.

Part of the reason of course is some people aren't 'good citizens' and
the cost of clearing up fly tipped or abandoned rubbish isn't free
either.

Provide an easy way to throw away litter, and people will do it.

--
Times are tough.
Just the other day, I saw a beggar who was so broke that he was standing on the corner shouting at the cars that went by.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

That wasn't a comment on your sig, he was just too lazy to edit that off.

It was a comment on your stuff above the sig.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

Then he needs to get a proper newsreader. That's why I have a --

--
I spent a couple of hours defrosting the fridge last night, or "foreplay" as she likes to call it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2016 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

It reacts with something in the soil and generates H2S :-

http://www.building.co.uk/gypsum-was...137433.article
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2016 00:20, James Wilkinson wrote:

No, I'm just taking the easy option. You spend time and money doing
things "properly" if you want, you gullible fool.

I'm surprised a selfish **** like you even bothers to use a wheelie
bin or skip. Surely your type just dumps it at a National Trust
carpark ?.

My neighbour has the same beligerant brain that you have. He fills
his blue recycling bin (should be for plastic, cans and paper) with
any old trade waste crap that is a by product of his car-repair
activities. Only the top 12 inches is proper recycled stuff.

Last week he dismantled an asbestos roofed shed for a friend, with
a chain saw, then took the mixed treated timber and (hidden) asbestos
to the local civic recycling site and chucked it all into the skip
intended for clean timber.

plasterboard alan_m UK diy 6 September 13th 14 05:42 PM
Plasterboard norm UK diy 6 January 17th 06 10:24 AM
plasterboard Mike UK diy 1 October 10th 05 02:44 AM
Plasterboard bronkone7 UK diy 3 July 26th 05 09:40 AM
Where to buy plasterboard? Bob Eager UK diy 11 December 13th 03 12:02 AM