Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 23:06:50 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 12/06/2016 18:38, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:59:18 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 12/06/2016 17:00, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:45:35 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at
all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

And this stuff is in your house....

Its fine in your house. The problem comes when its placed in landfill.

Yes, it magically transforms....

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

I once hired a skip and they made no requirements at all apart from
don't fill over the top. I assumed anything recyclable would make them
money so they didn't care.

Once? Ten years ago?

No, about 4 years ago. They said what are you throwing away? I said general waste. The skip ended up with wood, metal, green stuff, plasterboard, rocks, soil, and anything my neighbours wanted to chuck out at the time.

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

Waste disposal is paid for by council tax. How they sort it isn't my
problem.

That does not include provision of skips you dozy ****.

It all goes to the same place, and we were originally discussing taking plasterboard to the public dump remember?

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

None of the recycling bins I have list plasterboard as possible

What has that got to do with anything?

It means there is only one bin left to choose.

contents. AFAIK there isn't a place to put it in the recycling centre.
Besides, why should I take it down there on my own time and petrol and
messing up the inside of my car when I can get them to collect it for
nowt? I only take stuff there if it's too big to get in a bin. They
want stuff recycled, they do it for me or not at all.

That would be a woosh then.

No, I'm just taking the easy option. You spend time and money doing things "properly" if you want, you gullible fool.

--
"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodney Dangerfield.