Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

On Sunday, 12 June 2016 17:59:17 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/06/2016 17:00, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:45:35 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to
suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Yup that is the problem. Plaster board itself is fine, but once buried
in mixed landfill, it can start gassing - and hydrogen sulphide is
dangerous stuff:

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the

Many skip companies will still take it, but ask you to place it on top
where its easier for them to separate it out.

Lots of modern builders have taken to entombing the off cuts into the
stud walls of new builds to save having to dispose of the scraps into
skips etc.

general waste skip. If they want it separated, they can do so, but not
at my expense.

Why should it not be at your expense? (having said that - it will be at
your expense whether you like it or not).

If people don't follow the disposal guidelines, then it becomes more
expensive for the skip companies to process, so the cost of skips goes
up. If people are inconsiderate and make it too difficult for them to
process, then they will simply stop accepting it.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green
(waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though
it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Was this through ignorance, or just wilful stupidity?

I would not take the word of any politician about anything anyone says about landfill. Ever since Margaret Thatcher invented global warming all on her own there has been no limit to the outright, pointless lies told about the environment.

Could someone please explain to me how calcium sulphate is going to decompose or recompose in a tip? As far as I can make out gypsum is nearly inert but hydrogen sulphide is a very powerful reducer.
What exactly causes one to turn into the other?
And what sort of traces are they getting our knickers in a corruption-fest over?
And how many of the posters involved in this discussion really know what they are talking about?