Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

On 12/06/16 15:18, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are made of the stuff, if it
was in any way dangerous, we surely should have figured this out by now!
Maybe its just hazardous to the machinery that crunches everything up....
Brian

The principle reason is (apparently) it reacts with certain food wastes
to produce hydrogen sulphide (aka stink bombs) - however, the gas is
toxic in sufficient concentrations.

So plasterboard either has to be recycled (good - as it is a pretty
recyclable material) or buried in a serrated landfill.

All the larger tips take it - but I guess the smaller ones don't have
room for yet another roro skip.

The annoying thing at Heathfield dump is the PB skip is like the paper
skip - has slots in the side to "post" the PB through which is rather
tedious compared to lobbing it in the top.