Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson James Wilkinson is offline

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:58:47 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:35:29 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:04:13 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 17:00:10 +0100, "James Wilkinson"
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:45:35 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

Then don't tell them you have plasterboard. Just throw it in the general waste skip.

Lovely. You sure have got one over on them eh.

Yes, I didn't pay them.

Hmmmm ...

I've already paid them as part of my Council Tax.

If they want it separated, they can do so, but not at my expense.

No, *they* want it separated for *you* and *your family* and if it's
*your* waste then do you think *we* should pay (extra) for *you*?

It's not for me. It's for the landfill site, which isn't mine.

So, when you 'throw things away' it's to a different planet?

It's disposed of by the Council, which is paid to do this by me and everyone else who lives in this area. How they do that is not my concern.

In fact I just cut mine up and shoved it in the green (waste) bin over about 5 collections, they never complained (even though it was obvious as the bin was extremely heavy).

Even better, contaminate the green waste as well.

I hope you get it all back when you buy a bag of compost. ;-)

The green bin is not for green waste, it's for landfill, which is where plasterboard is supposed to go as it doesn't have a seperate recycling option. Green waste goes in the brown bin here. Different councils use different coloured bins.

Sorry, you did say and I missed that (and our green bin is for green
waste).

Most places originally had black bins for waste before kerbside recycling was invented. For some reason here they had green, so had to choose other colours for recycling.

That said, the std 'domestic bins' are for 'household waste' and
whilst the waste may have been from your household, it was actually
from but not your actual 'household'.

I consider household waste to be from me and not a business. Putting plasterboard in it from 100s of houses I'd worked on as a tradesman would be a different thing entirely. Mind you, if those houses were in the same council are, I still wouldn't have a problem with it. For example, when I've had tradesmen working here, they've put all the waste in my bins instead of taking it with them, as the council charges workmen for disposal of waste.

I think 'most people' would not consider 'building waste' (even from
their own building and diy efforts) the sort of thing they would put
in their household waste bins but take them to the tip themselves (or
get a skip / skip bag etc).

Only if it's too big to get in the bin easily.

But I guess it's better than fly tipping it ... ;-(

Fly tipping happens BECAUSE councils charge people to dump waste.

--
A man is a person who will pay two dollars for a one-dollar item he wants.
A woman will pay one dollar for a two-dollar item that she doesn't want.