Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default What is so bad about plasterboard?

On 6/12/2016 4:45 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian-Gaff wrote:

Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest
that
most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard,
saying its a hazard.

It's because high sulphate material mixed with organic matter in
landfills can produce hydrogen sulphide gas. Previously up to 10%
sulphate material was allowed, new guidance says it isn't allowed at all.

Our local tip has started charging £3 per sheet (or per 20kg) to dispose
of plasterboard separately.

My tip has a separate (free) skip although I must admit that the last
lot I dumped was in mixed bags of waste, which I didn't segregate.
(Someone else bagged them).

I'd assumed they'd end up recycling it for the gypsum, as we close even
the coal stations with FGD.