Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Route ethernet cable through coax routing?

I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Network switch on one port of a router?
Depends whether super duper high speed is needed on all ports at the
sometime of course.
As for cable routing. Well, I'd not really like running network cables for
long distances near coax as things tend to leak and cause interference
effects. Besides, its so easy to damage existing cables by trying to get
just one more through the same holes!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Gareth Davies" wrote in message
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the ground
floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am guessing
that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls which in
theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2016 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

In the attic you want a gigabit switch not a router. They are low power,
small and cost about £20 for an 8 port one.

I actually run my ethernet cables through the loft and down the outside
of the house. Some people suggest this is bad due to lightening risk or
some such. I've had no problems in the 10 years I've done it.

With gigabit cables you have to be careful not to kink the wire or have
corner bends in it. There is a minimum radius for every bend, something
like 20mm, but you should look it up. If you do have sharp bends or
kinks it will reduce the speed to 100Mb/s.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth Davies Wrote in message:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Maybe. The problem is going to be the noggins (short cross pieces
between the main vertical studding). It is probably passed
through these in holes drilled in them.

Has anyone done this?

No. Never had a house with many plasterboard walls. AIUI there are
techniques using long drills to drill through noggins.

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

A 'switch', simpler and cheaper than a router.

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/16 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

In fact I have.

Internal studowrk walls are hollow, and what I did was open up holes in
the plasterboard where I had to, and feed stiff wire leaders through
that hollow.

Making good plasterboard is very easy. Simply stuff the hole with
newspaper, stick and gob fresh plaster in the hole. then sand it all
flat and paint to match.

Never be afraid to rip out huge chunks of plasterboard and then put it
back - it mends invisibly really.

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

No. A *switch*.Preferably 100mbps or even gigabit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/16 08:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
As for cable routing. Well, I'd not really like running network cables for
long distances near coax as things tend to leak and cause interference
effects.

********.

Run network and TV aerial cabling together all over the place without
any issues

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2016 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

You mean use and existing cable to pull through more? Yup it can work.
Tie some string to the end of the coax and pull that back. Then pull
through as much string again and tie it in the middle to the coax so you
can pull that back to where it was while sill keeping two ends of string
accessible. Then use the middle of that to pull in your new wires.

Has anyone done this?

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

A network switch should be all you need.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:11:12 +0100, Nick wrote:

[...]

Good practice to avoid kinks etc. certainty, but Gigabit Ethernet is a
lot more resilient than you make out.

Think about an RJ45 patch panel, or a wall-plate. Doesn't the cable
terminate in the Krone strip at 90 deg to the socket? And aren't the
pairs effectively not twisted throughout the plug/socket interface?

So how does that differ from a 90 deg kink in the cable? (Apart from
the risk of breaking one or more conductors especially with solid
cable)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2016 18:19, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:11:12 +0100, Nick wrote:

On 09/05/2016 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Yes, I used the old coax cable to pull down a new coax + cat 5 cable.
In the attic I was able to see how much free space there was in the
trunking. It did get a bit stuck around the ground floor ceiling.

I wanted to use best quality tv coax for the then weak digital TV
transmissions.

You may also be able to see the space could also see the space be
examining the wall box for the ground floor TV socket

I run two 100mbps connections down one cable and one of those has to be
connected to a switch. None of the attached equipment needs gigabit,
but I do run gigabit over another length of cable from the same drum.
It worked once I discarded an unsatisfactory patch lead.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

When I wired my house. I initially only got 100Mb/s. I had to search to
eliminate bends and kinks before it ran at 1Gb/s. That was ten years ago
maybe equipment is better now but I doubt it. It was solid cat 5e cable,
maybe 40m long. I can't remember the degree of the kinks or bends. I
only remember that it didn't work at full speed until I got rid of them.

Think about an RJ45 patch panel, or a wall-plate. Doesn't the cable
terminate in the Krone strip at 90 deg to the socket? And aren't the
pairs effectively not twisted throughout the plug/socket interface?

So how does that differ from a 90 deg kink in the cable? (Apart from
the risk of breaking one or more conductors especially with solid
cable)

I don't know why it didn't work at full speed with kinks, but it didn't.

TV Coax Sharing Conduit: AC or EtherNet? (PeteCresswell) Home Repair 24 October 1st 15 01:18 PM
OT Ethernet Cable DerbyBoy UK diy 33 January 8th 12 06:54 PM
Routing coax Graham Jones[_3_] UK diy 10 May 31st 10 05:13 PM
Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 03:15 AM
Cable Route to Boiler TheScullster UK diy 2 September 8th 06 12:27 PM