Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Route ethernet cable through coax routing?

On 15/05/2016 18:19, Graham. wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2016 09:11:12 +0100, Nick wrote:

On 09/05/2016 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Yes, I used the old coax cable to pull down a new coax + cat 5 cable.
In the attic I was able to see how much free space there was in the
trunking. It did get a bit stuck around the ground floor ceiling.

I wanted to use best quality tv coax for the then weak digital TV
transmissions.

You may also be able to see the space could also see the space be
examining the wall box for the ground floor TV socket

I run two 100mbps connections down one cable and one of those has to be
connected to a switch. None of the attached equipment needs gigabit,
but I do run gigabit over another length of cable from the same drum.
It worked once I discarded an unsatisfactory patch lead.

--
Michael Chare

---