Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Nick is offline

Default Route ethernet cable through coax routing?

On 09/05/2016 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

In the attic you want a gigabit switch not a router. They are low power,
small and cost about £20 for an 8 port one.

I actually run my ethernet cables through the loft and down the outside
of the house. Some people suggest this is bad due to lightening risk or
some such. I've had no problems in the 10 years I've done it.

With gigabit cables you have to be careful not to kink the wire or have
corner bends in it. There is a minimum radius for every bend, something
like 20mm, but you should look it up. If you do have sharp bends or
kinks it will reduce the speed to 100Mb/s.