Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Route ethernet cable through coax routing?

On 09/05/16 07:59, Gareth Davies wrote:
I want to route ethernet cable to a few rooms in a fairly small house.

Taking up floors is not an option because of wood flooring and I don't
want visible cable although routing cable around skirting boards may be
the easiest eventual solution.

There are aerial points in the house and the cable is routed within the
plasterboard wall of the timber frame house.

If the coax cabling is successfully dropping from the attick to the
ground floor through the wall (and from the attic to other rooms) I am
guessing that there is a clear channel within the plasterboard walls
which in theory I could squeeze the ethernet cable into.

Has anyone done this?

In fact I have.

Internal studowrk walls are hollow, and what I did was open up holes in
the plasterboard where I had to, and feed stiff wire leaders through
that hollow.

Making good plasterboard is very easy. Simply stuff the hole with
newspaper, stick and gob fresh plaster in the hole. then sand it all
flat and paint to match.

Never be afraid to rip out huge chunks of plasterboard and then put it
back - it mends invisibly really.

Presumably I would need an ethernet router in the attic to split the
single feed cable from the main modem/router into individual feeds.

No. A *switch*.Preferably 100mbps or even gigabit