Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default windows .... everest vs anglian?

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
On 02/05/2016 10:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Both Everest and Anglian employ dubious sales techniques. The
"discounts" are not really real, they fiddle the figures by have
stupidly high list prices, and sail very close to the wind on how
those list prices qualify for being used as the discount reference.

We had someone round a couple of years ago to quote for some blinds. He
came up with a price but as soon as I said they were too expensive he
was 'able to offer' a 30% reduction 'if you order today'. I told him to
go. If he wanted to rip me off to the extent of 30% then he wasn't going
to take up any more of my time.

Anglian and Everest had tried the same with me previously and got the
same response.

and the point of the home visit is to assess how much you can afford to pay.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 02/05/2016 10:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Both Everest and Anglian employ dubious sales techniques. The
"discounts" are not really real, they fiddle the figures by have
stupidly high list prices, and sail very close to the wind on how
those list prices qualify for being used as the discount reference.

We had someone round a couple of years ago to quote for some blinds. He
came up with a price but as soon as I said they were too expensive he was
'able to offer' a 30% reduction 'if you order today'. I told him to go. If
he wanted to rip me off to the extent of 30% then he wasn't going to take
up any more of my time.

Anglian and Everest had tried the same with me previously and got the same
response.

Yep, I also arsed them out.
When, as you say, they can offer you ~50% off just like that they're taking
the ****.
When you inform them of that they have no answer, still, maybe the OP should
just submit and be taken for a ride.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Had Albion do my windows a few years ago - afraid I could not recommend them
appalling job when i complained it turned out the installer had been made
customer relations/ supervisor - lot of help that was going to be !

Ended up short paying them

Regards,

Moansalot

"Theo" wrote in message ...

lid wrote:
The local guy is;
http://albionwindows.co.uk/

albiion quoted approx 6,200, whereas Everest quoted approx 6,500

I suppose both of them are quite reputable.

What shall I do to decide, toss a coin? Is there really anything
between them? whisky-dave seems happy with Everest.

Everest subcontract. That means it /is/ a local guy fitting your windows,
just you pay for the salesman and head office to waste your time. That
subcontractor is being paid a lot less.

Have you asked more than one local guy? There's likely to be a range in
pricing, and I would guess the one you have is at the top end.

My ballpark is a factor of 2 between Everest's initial quote and 'best'
price, and then 30% off down to the lowest 'local guy'.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/05/2016 12:02, charles wrote:
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
On 02/05/2016 10:47, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Both Everest and Anglian employ dubious sales techniques. The
"discounts" are not really real, they fiddle the figures by have
stupidly high list prices, and sail very close to the wind on how
those list prices qualify for being used as the discount reference.

We had someone round a couple of years ago to quote for some blinds. He
came up with a price but as soon as I said they were too expensive he
was 'able to offer' a 30% reduction 'if you order today'. I told him to
go. If he wanted to rip me off to the extent of 30% then he wasn't going
to take up any more of my time.

Anglian and Everest had tried the same with me previously and got the
same response.

and the point of the home visit is to assess how much you can afford to pay.

And to measure.

I don't provide measurements for anything. That way, if it doesn't fit,
it's their fault not mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 May 2016 11:17:23 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:40:47 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

they seem to have a lot of happy customers, which is counter to

what
people have said on this group.

Do you think the recommendations are staged, artificial?

Yes.

Making them up would be venturing into very grey area legally,
misrepresentation? fraud? advertsising standards? They probably are
genuine comments but selected comments...

Who's going to prove that made up comments were made up? How? I expect it's widespread in retail generally.

Anyway they're meaningless. Any going concern will have lots of customers, some of whom will be nice no matter how bad they typically are.

The op is just a Rodney.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 2 May 2016 11:32:41 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 10:41:38 +0100, RJH wrote:

Everest boasts "Over 2 million happy customers" and "Over 50 years
experience".

who says they're happy? the installers motivated to say so? the marketing dept?

40,000 customers/year, maybe, that's 100 jobs on *every* day of the
year.

"50 years of experience" in what? High pressure sales techinques or
doing good installs of double glazing?

Anglian say "We've more than a million customers and are proud

that
95% would recommend us to their friends

says who?

... and 42% of our weekly sales are from returning customers

buying
more home improvements products from us"

does that mean the handles fail often?

Windows are normally for life. Yet 42% of customers are returners. What's going on with that?

So the high pressure sales works in beating people into submission
and getting them to buy "extras" in follow up calls.

They'd hardly say otherwise :-) I'd wager a small sum that the
anonymised raw data is not forthcoming . . .

I'm sure it won't be.

If the data exists at all, what's the odds that companies are saying customers are happy when they're not?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to invalid, 0207 wrote:
Anglian Windows is the most unscrupulous firm ever! Avoid at all cost

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1125967-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/17 01:14, 0207 wrote:
replying to invalid, 0207 wrote:
Anglian Windows is the most unscrupulous firm ever! Avoid at all cost

April 2016 - he's probably decided already.

Homeowners Hub - hijacking content from USENET since gawd knows when...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 01:14:04 UTC, 0207 wrote:
replying to invalid, 0207 wrote:
Anglian Windows is the most unscrupulous firm ever! Avoid at all cost

One could say something similar of the website you're using.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2017 01:14, 0207 wrote:
replying to invalid, 0207 wrote:
Anglian Windows is the most unscrupulous firm ever! Avoid at all cost

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I hope you told them in advance that you will be filming or at least asked their permission on the day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you had
to have a bleep when calls were being recorded, not any more.
I record all my calls and simply delete the junk ones.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I hope you told them in advance that you will be filming or at least asked
their permission on the day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All double glazing is a bit of a lottery, as the actual products mostly are
very good now, its the contractors who put them in who are often the
problem.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .

Why is anyone considering either of these outfits?

--
There's no obfuscated Perl contest because it's pointless.

- Jeff Polk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 11:29:11 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:

All double glazing is a bit of a lottery, as the actual products mostly
are very good now, its the contractors who put them in who are often the
problem.

That may be true, but...

I remember rejecting Anglia on the basis of a shoddy installation. In
their showroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you had
to have a bleep when calls were being recorded

This was purely because most implementations of recording devices were
made for the American market. There was no such rule here.

, not any more.
I record all my calls and simply delete the junk ones.
Brian

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All double glazing is a bit of a lottery, as the actual products mostly are
very good now, its the contractors who put them in who are often the
problem.

+1
And its common to find a couple of double glazing vans parked in your
local "travellers" site overnight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 14:06, Tim Streater wrote:

We rejected them (and Everest) on the basis of their sales techniques
and the poor range of offerings.

I too rejected one DG firm based on their sales method. Quote a high
price, then offer a discount if I signed within 24 hours followed by
daily phone calls sometimes offering further discounts. I also had some
negative selling where the salesman slags off the competition.

Much better to find five or so local outfits, visit them all, select
the three with whom you feel most comfortable to come and measure up
and quote.

I was lucky, unbeknown to me my next door neighbour had employed a local
DG company the day I started looking for quotes. As my house is almost
identical to theirs I had a chance to watch them working and fully
inspect the finished product before I committed myself to employ the
same fensa accredited company.

With the bigger outfits you initially see a salesman who often just does
a rough measurement and shows the catalogues - perhaps with a few
representative samples. The detailed order comes after you have accepted
the quote when a "surveyor" does the real measurements and details which
glass/pattern/door furniture options. I got the impression that the big
outfits didn't want to waste too much time/money on the initial visit
knowing most people would go for 3 quotes especially if you give the
impression that you know something about what you are buying.

Anyone seeking such improvements to their home should also do their
homework, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

[Snip]

knowing most people would go for 3 quotes

Following a burglary where my patio door was wrecked, I contacted a firm in
the local yellow pages who said they did repairs. Took one look and said
can't be repaired, we'll quote for a new one. I said fine, but my insurance
company need 3 quotes. No problem, they said, we can deal with that. A few
days later I received 3 quotes, all on different headed paper and all in
the same envelope. I found another firm who undercut all of their quotes,
by a significant margin.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you
had to have a bleep when calls were being recorded, not any more.I record
all my calls and simply delete the junk ones.

I'd like to be since I now do all incoming and outgoing
calls on the iphone, its one of the real downsides with
iphones, you can't do that easily.

The other thing you can't do easily is tell siri to answer the
call when the call comes in when driving around in the car
with just the iphone, no hands free kit etc.

And yes, I know that some claim that it is too dangerous
to talk to someone on the phone while driving. That’s
bull****. If you can't do that safely in speakerphone
mode you shouldn’t be allowed to drive a car at all.

wrote in message
I hope you told them in advance that you will be filming or at least asked
their permission on the day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 05:40:10 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd like to be

You'd like to be WHAT? Asleep? Maybe you can't sleep because of your
overexcited nerves because of all your trolling? "Think" about it, if it
doesn't hurt you too much!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 11:25:52 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
These days its enough to ask before making public. Just like before you had
to have a bleep when calls were being recorded, not any more.
I record all my calls and simply delete the junk ones.

I hid a camera under my TV when I had double glazing salesman arrive.
well hide enough so yuo could just see the LED and can shape from the sofa..

Date ~2006
First around were anglia, all he did was drop the window casing on the carpet
to prove how strong it was, and tell me how other companies frames always yellow after a few years but not theirs. Then go on about a few other 'facts' and tell me how poor nextdoors windows were, which have been there for 20+ years.
he then handed me the form to sign to start the process and asking for the deposit. I said I thought you just came to give me a quote I said quite loudly while staring at my LED/mic (which was an old firewire webcam from my mac) .
He saw it picked up his breifcase threw all his paperwork in it picked up the demo window from the floor and legged it, he couldn't leave fast enough.
It was like he thought I was doing a watchdog rogue traders on him (which is what I was hoping he'd think). A few months later I got a call from Anglia asking about windows I said no it's OK they've been sorted and that was the last I heard from them.

A week later Everest called, and their spill was more about the old advertising with ted moult, on his laptop he played the ads from the 1970s. I'm sure he must have seem my mic but didn't seemed phased by it, he didn't try to rubbish other companies other than says there's is the best slogan again from the 70s, he also actually measured the windows before quoting which anglia didn't do.
The price was ~5 times what anglia quoted, he applied the usual discounts, then said I could get a further discount if they were allowed to film the instaltion and put up a placard outside which I agreed to even saying "can I film them
as I'd like a time-lapse of the install for myself", he didn't comment on my request.
I agreed to the Everest quote and had to pay a 10% deposit with a cheque !

I had a quote from a local glazier company, which was really cheap and they were going to use my measurements and said they didn't need to come and measure as they knew the sizes of windows in similar properties in the area, I never contacted them again.

2 weeks or so after everest, they sent a surveyer and he actually remeasured
the windows, both top , bottom and middle, he really took time and care
of the measuremetns and doubled checked them. He seems like a true pro at his job.
The installers seemed good to, quick and efficient and refused to install a slightly dameged section saying they'll return tomorrow with an undameged section which they did. They also took all the old windows with them and cleaned up.
I think with anglia I would have had to arrange for a skip myself too.

Anglian Windows sweetheart[_2_] UK diy 22 July 9th 10 10:25 PM
Everest are taking the p@@ss... JoeJoe UK diy 4 September 4th 08 08:13 PM
Is this wall going to fall down thanks to Anglian Windows? mike[_7_] UK diy 24 August 20th 08 07:56 PM
Everest Double Glazing CJB UK diy 8 March 15th 08 09:56 AM
Everest Stinks CJB UK diy 16 June 3rd 07 07:43 PM