Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anglian Windows

Not 100% DIY but maybe someone knows how to deal with it
yourself.......politely

I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

First he asks if I want a conservatory. I say no. Cant afford it. Not
getting anything at the money.

Then he tells me my windows ( all of which are double glazed by the way)
are rubbish, do not have thick enough panels and need replacing ( he looked
round my house before I saw him did he?). I told him I was not replacing
anything.

He told me my house was in disrepair ( tell me about it? I know and so do
most of you here) and I needed new guttering fascias and widows.

I told him I could not have these things, we were not considering any
large outlay of monies in the near future. We could not afford it.

Still he carried on telling me how my house was rubbish ..... so I said
look, my husband is a tight fisted miser who will not pay out for anything
.. He wants the money in the bank , now will you go?

He still carried on - so you agree with me the house needs repairing ......
well what's it matter what I think? Doesn't he understand No?

He left . But why cant these people take no for an answer first time?

It just upsets me so much. How do you deal with this sort of thing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2010 16:58 sweetheart wrote:

How do you deal with this sort of thing?

Say 'No' once, then close the door.

I've now got a laminated notice on the door that's working quite well:
JW's stood and read it the other day and then went on their way without
bothering me....

'We’re happy with our energy supplier and also with our God
We don’t buy at the door and we have plenty of charity sacks
Thank you for not disturbing us!'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2010 17:58, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Simple. When you say "No" shut the door. Works 99% of the time.
Salesmen are trained that while the person is still in front of them
listening politely that there is chance of talking them into a sale.

So forget politely waiting for him to stop talking - he won't - he will
continue until the door is closed or you invite him in or agree to buy
something.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

As soon as he starts talking, you just say, 'it's not my house, I'm renting'
and watch him walk away, or, if you are feeling in a michevious mood, agree
to everything he's offering and then ask, 'will the council be paying for
all this?, the house belongs to them'

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

%EMAIL
wibbled on Thursday 08 July 2010 16:58

It just upsets me so much. How do you deal with this sort of thing?

You tell him that he's an ugly ******* but you'll at least be able to fix
your house eventually.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank goodness you're a salesman, I was expecting the baliffs .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 July, 16:58, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

polite but scowled "no thanks"
if they persist wish them well with their job hunting and tell em to
do one?
however I'm fairly hefty so opp. sex/small men may wish to omit the
latter....

CHeers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 8 July, 16:58, "sweetheart" wrote:
I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

(a) Tell him the windows were installed by Anglian Windows

(b) Tell him to come back when husband is in

Owain

Correction

(b) Tell him to come back when the husband is out of bed.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

ask him to leave, and if he refuses, call the police.

Take his number and call his firm.

Report them to the trading standards officer.

I dont even let them get through the door. I just say 'NO!' as son as
they open their mouths.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/07/2010 16:58 sweetheart wrote:

How do you deal with this sort of thing?

Say 'No' once, then close the door.

I've now got a laminated notice on the door that's working quite well:
JW's stood and read it the other day and then went on their way without
bothering me....

I broke out in a cold sweat there, wondering whether I really have started
doing door-to-door! :-)

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...

Simple. When you say "No" shut the door. Works 99% of the time.
Salesmen are trained that while the person is still in front of them
listening politely that there is chance of talking them into a sale.

So forget politely waiting for him to stop talking - he won't - he will
continue until the door is closed or you invite him in or agree to buy
something.

Agreed. You just say "no" first of all, then "no, really not
interested...thanks...bye", all in one swift sentence at the same time as
closing the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

It just upsets me so much. How do you deal with this sort of thing?

I have a "Cold callers please don't ring" notice on the front
door. I draw it to their attention and explain that it is to save
us both time. Had to tell one chap what cold calling was.

A common response is "But I'm not selling" to which I respond
"That's fine because I'm not buying. Good day."

I'm quite looking forward to the next time one of the big 6
energy suppliers calls, as they are supposed to have instructed
their sales force to respect such notices.

Another angle is to tell them, quite simply (and presumably,
honestly), that you never do business with companies that
approach you.

Occasionally there is the seller of "lucky heather" I really have
to bite my tongue to stop myself remarking "It's not doing you
much good is it?"

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

Not 100% DIY but maybe someone knows how to deal with it
yourself.......politely

I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...nk#coldcallers

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2010 07:28, Chris J Dixon wrote:
sweetheart wrote:

Not 100% DIY but maybe someone knows how to deal with it
yourself.......politely

I have just had an Anglian Windows salesman cold calling at my house.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/pho...nk#coldcallers

Chris

TBH I have more problem with charity fundraisers in the street. I am
jobseeking and the latest ad for those jobs suggested you will need to
be a bit cheeky. Trouble is some of them don't know the difference
between cheeky and assault.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 07:26:59 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

A common response is "But I'm not selling" to which I respond
"That's fine because I'm not buying. Good day."

If a cold caller comes out with "I'm not selling" I normally laugh.
How can their employer make any money to pay their wages if they
aren't selling?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:08:00 +0100, Phil L wrote:

As soon as he starts talking, you just say, 'it's not my house, I'm
renting' and watch him walk away, or, if you are feeling in a michevious
mood, agree to everything he's offering and then ask, 'will the council
be paying for all this?, the house belongs to them'

The former is quick and effective, the latter nice if you have
nothing better to do for an houir or three. Keeps him of other
peoples back as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

(a) Tell him the windows were installed by Anglian Windows

Google back for my tales of Anglian Windows and disgraceful
installation and customer "service". I wouldn't poke 'em the end of
your barge pole covered in dog ****, they would contaminate the dog
****.

(b) Tell him to come back when husband is in

NOOOO!! Sales bloke will immediately ask when hubby will be back and
when would it be convenient to return.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message ...
Not 100% DIY but maybe someone knows how to deal with it
yourself.......politely

a) Change your name. Something like Wellard Pit-Bull is far less inviting than
"Sweetheart".

b) Learn one or two stock phrases, or simply make some up, in some foreign
language. Just keep repeating these phrases whatever the salesman says.
Just make them louder with each repetition, and maybe start waving
your arms about.

Making up your own phrases has the additional benefit that there's no
chance of the salesman understanding what you're saying and making
replies that you won't understand

c) Start telling him about the snails in your bath.

michael adams

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:
[...]

The instant they identify themselves, or start out with any spiel, say
'Not interested, goodbye' and shut the door.

You could try 'Have you found the Lord?'. The problem with that comes if
they have.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Don't enter into conversation, ie., say absolutely nothing beyond 'no thank
you' or you'll give them an entry point.

Repeat it if necessary then it's 'goodbye'.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2010 16:06, mark wrote:

Don't enter into conversation, ie., say absolutely nothing beyond 'no thank
you' or you'll give them an entry point.

Repeat it if necessary then it's 'goodbye'.

Exactly. If I am asked any question by a cold caller I just say
something like "I'm really not interested in discussing it". I'm damned
if I am going to give any information or reasons for not wanting to buy
anything, but I try to be as polite as possible - I wouldn't like to
have to cold-call for a living. 9 times out of 10 they usually they
smile, thank me, and walk away. If not I say goodbye and shut the door.

Same applies on the telephone. One polite "not interested" - no point
in being nasty or lying - and if they keep talking after that I put the
phone down.

--
www.winenous.co.uk

Is this wall going to fall down thanks to Anglian Windows? mike[_7_] UK diy 24 August 20th 08 07:56 PM
anglian double glazing Capt T UK diy 13 July 13th 08 10:47 AM
Problem with Anglian Conservatory CQMMAN UK diy 13 February 23rd 05 07:21 PM
Anglian double glazing Sir Amic Tiles UK diy 1 November 4th 03 10:36 AM
Anglian Water Plumbing insurance Gary Cavie UK diy 7 November 3rd 03 03:34 PM