Gary Cavie

Default Anglian Water Plumbing insurance

Does anybody have experience of the above?

We've had it for a couple of years, with no need for it - until tonight.

The washing machine standpipe started overflowing into the kitchen, so
out I go to inspect the drains. The manhole is backed up to the hilt
with, well, you can imagine.

I borrowed some rods, and had a puggle, but to no avail. Our drains
(we're on the end) serve 3 other properties before hitting the sewer.
Next door neighbours aren't there (they only visit every 6 weeks or so),
so I went to the nextdoor but one. His drains are clear, and on puggling
back towards us, I get about 3m then get a small trickle. 'Aha' I
thought, the problem is in between us. But their manhole is inside their
garage, and there's no access.

So I phone AW helpline, reasoning that somebody with some longer rods is
called for.

However, I get told that although it says evenings and weekends on the
policy, the chances of getting somebody out to sort this out before
tomorrow is very remote, as most drainage companies don't like to work
outside normal hours?!?!?!?

Does this sound like a fob-off, or a reasonable statement?
Clive Summerfield

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
Does anybody have experience of the above?

We've had it for a couple of years, with no need for it - until tonight.

snip

I borrowed some rods, and had a puggle, but to no avail. Our drains
(we're on the end) serve 3 other properties before hitting the sewer.
Next door neighbours aren't there (they only visit every 6 weeks or so),
so I went to the nextdoor but one. His drains are clear, and on puggling
back towards us, I get about 3m then get a small trickle. 'Aha' I
thought, the problem is in between us. But their manhole is inside their
garage, and there's no access.

So I phone AW helpline, reasoning that somebody with some longer rods is
called for.

However, I get told that although it says evenings and weekends on the
policy, the chances of getting somebody out to sort this out before
tomorrow is very remote, as most drainage companies don't like to work
outside normal hours?!?!?!?

Does this sound like a fob-off, or a reasonable statement?

Sounds about par for the course with Anglian Water's insurance. A friend had
a problem with a shared sewer (between 4 properties), which had collapsed
outside the boundary of the last property, but before it joined the main
sewer. When he first read the policy, it seemed to cover at least his share
of the cost, but on contacting AW they pointed to small print which
specifically excluded shared sewers.

In his opinion the only thing the policy seemed to cover was burst pipes and
interior plumbing problems.

RichardS

"Clive Summerfield" wrote in message

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Which is possibly covered by normal buildings insurance...

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andrew Simpson

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Gary,

I wouldn't stand for that. Whats the point of 24 hours cover if they won't
cover you out of office hours. When my drain got blocked at 8:30 in the
evening I had a drain company out within the hour. My policy is with Home
Service though..

Andrew.

---

Charles Fearnley

"Andrew Simpson" wrote in
message ...

"Gary Cavie" wrote in message
t...
Does anybody have experience of the above?

We've had it for a couple of years, with no need for it - until tonight.

The washing machine standpipe started overflowing into the kitchen, so
out I go to inspect the drains. The manhole is backed up to the hilt
with, well, you can imagine.

I borrowed some rods, and had a puggle, but to no avail. Our drains
(we're on the end) serve 3 other properties before hitting the sewer.
Next door neighbours aren't there (they only visit every 6 weeks or so),
so I went to the nextdoor but one. His drains are clear, and on puggling
back towards us, I get about 3m then get a small trickle. 'Aha' I
thought, the problem is in between us. But their manhole is inside their
garage, and there's no access.

How old is your house? If it was built pre 1935, clearing drains which are
shared between houses is the responsibility of the local authority, who
often subcontract this to the relevant water authority. Work is done for
free for clearing blockages, provided that no repairs are necessary.

Our shared drain (12 ish houses) blocks about twice a year at the end of the
run, so I phone Thames water, who send usually a private drain clearing
company. I am always asked about the age of the house (1933 luckily..), and
warned about possible charges. However, I have never been charged in twenty
years of doing this...

I have suggested that a proper clean of the run would save us all money, but
no-one wants to think ahead and invest to save (surprise)

This old bit of the legislation is not publicised for obvious reasons, but
if your house is old enough it would be worth investigating, now and for the
future.

Good luck.

Charles Fearnley

stuart noble

Charles Fearnley wrote in message ...
How old is your house? If it was built pre 1935, clearing drains which are
shared between houses is the responsibility of the local authority, who
often subcontract this to the relevant water authority.

Who then usually sub it out to a drain clearing firm. The last time we had
it done the guy had a 6 tonner with compressors and all kinds of kit on the
back. Took about ten minutes in all, whereas the yellow pages merchants
always manage to drag it out for a couple of hours.
Despite all the modern customer charter nonsense, nobody wants to tell
consumers their rights in this area.

Fishter

Hi Charles Fearnley
In you
wrote:
This old bit of the legislation is not publicised for obvious reasons, but
if your house is old enough it would be worth investigating, now and for the
future.

What about the following situation: House built at turn of century, most
likely before 1935. In mid 80's it was split into flats. I assume the
maintenance of the drains connecting the flats is the joint repsonsibility
of the tenants and hence probably the landlord. But where this drain meets
the one from next door and then goes to the main sewer in the road, would
that be covered by this legislation?

--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk/
Charles Fearnley

What about the following situation: House built at turn of century, most
likely before 1935. In mid 80's it was split into flats. I assume the
maintenance of the drains connecting the flats is the joint repsonsibility
of the tenants and hence probably the landlord. But where this drain

meets
the one from next door and then goes to the main sewer in the road, would
that be covered by this legislation?

I would have thought so. My understanding of everything that I have found so
far (to check that I would not be charged by the waterboard) is that any
drain which carries the outflow of more than one pre 1935 house is covered,
even though it/they are on private property. However, this covers blockage
clearance only. If the pipework falls in it's your problem....

More people should know about this - it would save householders a lot of
time and money....
Charles Fearnley

Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Megaflow Query Julia Mann UK diy 27 September 20th 03 09:34 AM
Knocking from hot water tank... Adam UK diy 7 September 4th 03 03:51 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM