Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If there's one thing that turns my stomach, it's cat poo on thelawn before mowing

On 17/04/16 12:31, Andy Cap wrote:
On 17/04/16 11:08, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , MM
writes
Later today I will have to steel myself to go "out there" for the
first time with the mower this year, but first I'll have to attack the
cat mess.

I'm desperate for a better solution!

(By the way, no point suggesting stopping cats messing on my lawn.
I've tried everything in that department already, short of having
automatic scatterguns like on the former East German border fence.)

Diversionary tactics? Provide a small area of freshly dug and raked
soil. For full authenticity, plant some valuable seeds.

Are you certain it is not Fox poo? Pointy ends. Cats prefer to bury
their gifts.

I think that might be worth a try. A tray with loose soil in it could
provide an attractive alternative. Combine it with the freeze spray and
you could end up with easily disposed of deposits !! Not tried it though.

Pile of builders sand. Lost of dried cat crap in my garden wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Has no one got any other ideas? I read once a long time ago that the
Parisian clean-up squad rode around the city on motorbikes with a
nitrogen wand that froze dog poo solid. It was then much easier to
deal with.

Have we nothing like that in Britain?

I've tried jets of water from the garden hose, but that isn't
effective. The summer months are a little better, because it's warmer
and the poo dries out and crumbles.

Later today I will have to steel myself to go "out there" for the
first time with the mower this year, but first I'll have to attack the
cat mess.

I'm desperate for a better solution!

(By the way, no point suggesting stopping cats messing on my lawn.
I've tried everything in that department already, short of having
automatic scatterguns like on the former East German border fence.)

MM

I have had complete success in removing the problem using an ultrasonic
cat scarer. Although designed to be battery operated, they eat batteries
so I made dummy cells to fit inside and run it from a DC wallwart inside
a nearby building with low voltage wire exiting through an airbrick. One
unit is covering about 60 sq metres mounted unobtrusively in one corner.
We our garden is completely open to the road and we don't even see any
cats taking a short cut or even a "**** cut" since installing it about 9
months ago.

hth
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:51:20 +0100, Andy Cap
wrote:

snip

Like I said, I might get a 'Cat / sh1te hawk' (called that because of
it's appetite for cats and the amount of (toxic) cat-based waste it
produces) and 'keep' it here (where 'here' is wherever the feck it
want's to go killing it's prey (that's 'nature' after all) and dumping
it out all over the place (but not here)). ;-)

I wonder how soon the cat owners would want me to place more control
over my 'pet'. ;-)

I've just throttled the cat I adopted from next door, because they were
neglecting it !

That was a good thing.

I hadn't quite realised what an evil little b*****d he
was.

And it sounds like that may have been a good thing as well. ;-)

Sorry ! ;-)

As long as you did so 'humanely' I think you are ok. ;-)

Daughters friend has a cat and a large dog (Alsatian). You wouldn't
want to be on the wrong end (the teeth end) of the dog but you are
very very unlikely to be in such a situation (I can't think what would
put you there, even if you were an intruder g). The test of any such
animal is when you try to take it food away from it and you can with
this one. ;-)

The cat on the other hand is (to us anyway) a perfectly typical 'cat'
where *it* climbs on your lap (uninvited) and then at some point later
and for no obvious reason, whacks you across the hand / arm / leg /
face, often drawing blood. I'd mark that up as a 'dangerous animal'
and have it dealt with.

Ungrateful, unpredictable and pointless poxy things! (Well, they are
predictable as they are all poxy flea / sh1t bags (to us anyway)). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:49:33 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

Being as you say this is a neighbours dog (and presumably it's coming
into your garden without the neighbour) and you may well therefore
know who that is, have you ever mentioned what is happening to them
and what did they say (OOI)?

Is there no way you could stop the dog getting in, especially as it
sounds like a 'bigger' dog (as they are generally easier to stop than
cats, not that you should have to of course)?

Well of course I've mentioned it, to be greeted with 'oh it can't be
our dog, she goes in the field' (they own a couple of fields adjacent
to out property).

Oh.

So I just do a quick scout round before I cut the
grass, with one of those old style coal shovels (inherited from the
previous owner who obviously had the same problem!),

It gets better ..

and scoop up any
poop and chuck it over the hedge into the field where it belongs.
Messy ones get a can of water on them afterwards to disperse what's
left.

I wonder what you do that inconveniences him similarly?

Saves a lot of hassle and falling out with the neighbour, and to
do that, doesn't really bother me anyway.

No, however, what I find strange / frustrating is you are the
'innocent party' here and yet you have to be worried about 'not
upsetting' *him*? If someone suggested to me that my dog was fouling
their property I'd take whatever steps necessary to stop it happening,
would apologise and certainly wouldn't hold anything against them?

As a mate used to say ... 'I'd rather die on my feet than live on my
knees' (not that it's that bad in this case as you seem happy to deal
with it your way).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:44:58 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip

I have had complete success in removing the problem using an ultrasonic
cat scarer. Although designed to be battery operated, they eat batteries
so I made dummy cells to fit inside and run it from a DC wallwart inside
a nearby building with low voltage wire exiting through an airbrick. One
unit is covering about 60 sq metres mounted unobtrusively in one corner.
We our garden is completely open to the road and we don't even see any
cats taking a short cut or even a "**** cut" since installing it about 9
months ago.

Result. Would you have a link to the one you actually used please Bob?

Any idea how it may impact any other creatures, like birds or people
walking past with their dogs etc (the dogs, I doubt the people could
hear it)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 April 2016 10:43:23 UTC+1, MM wrote:
[...]

I've been told if you provide a sand pit, they will **** in that.
Never had to try it, there are no cats where I live.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

It's a couple of small
amimal turds.

Although entirely accurate, that's no way to describe the OP.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Windows 10: less of an OS, more of a drive-by mugging.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:44:58 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip

I have had complete success in removing the problem using an ultrasonic
cat scarer. Although designed to be battery operated, they eat batteries
so I made dummy cells to fit inside and run it from a DC wallwart inside
a nearby building with low voltage wire exiting through an airbrick. One
unit is covering about 60 sq metres mounted unobtrusively in one corner.
We our garden is completely open to the road and we don't even see any
cats taking a short cut or even a "**** cut" since installing it about 9
months ago.

Result. Would you have a link to the one you actually used please Bob?

Any idea how it may impact any other creatures, like birds or people
walking past with their dogs etc (the dogs, I doubt the people could
hear it)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I used this one http://tinyurl.com/zpsbdak

The pattern of the pir is a low level fan across the grass so birds
unless they land on the ground are not affected. We feed them from
hanging feeders so they are happy.
People need to come onto our land to trigger the PIR, passing on the
pavement will not trigger it.
My son can hear it each time and sometimes my ears will pickup the pulse
envelope not the carrier.

The battery cover screws on with minuscule screws self tapped into
plastic but with my remote power supply, everything was fitted, tested
and then sealed with neutral cure silicone and has remained working. The
PIR has a blue led for walk testing which provides an indication it
continues to work.
hth
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2016 17:44, Bob Minchin wrote:

I have had complete success in removing the problem using an ultrasonic
cat scarer.

I tried one of those. It worked for around a week and then the cats took
no notice of it. And yes the box was still working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/16 19:24, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 18:35:30 +0100, T i m wrote:

No, however, what I find strange / frustrating is you are the
'innocent party' here and yet you have to be worried about 'not
upsetting' *him*?

I'm not particularly worried about the dog **** and I don't see it as
being worth making an issue about; I don't find it as objectionable as
some here would and it's easily dealt with. It doesn't bother me. We
live in the country. There's animal **** everywhe fox, badger,
rabbit, bird, cow, horse, sheep. It's what they do. You either deal
with it in a matter-of-fact manner or move and become a townie.

Or you buy a water cannon and make a sport of it:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/a...2_1358088a.jpg

Or if that's out of range, a Nerf Super Soaker and a gallon of lemon juice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:24:01 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 18:35:30 +0100, T i m wrote:

No, however, what I find strange / frustrating is you are the
'innocent party' here and yet you have to be worried about 'not
upsetting' *him*?

I'm not particularly worried about the dog **** and I don't see it as
being worth making an issue about; I don't find it as objectionable as
some here would and it's easily dealt with. It doesn't bother me. We
live in the country. There's animal **** everywhe fox, badger,
rabbit, bird, cow, horse, sheep. It's what they do.

And all in your fenced-in back garden Chris? ;-)

You either deal
with it in a matter-of-fact manner or move and become a townie.

Ah, well, of course that's probably the issue, I already am (as I
suspect are most of those who do have issues with such things and
hence why the situation is different for those of us who are).

You might equally get upset by fly-tipping, stabbing's and a burning
car in your road. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

[...]

Never a dull moment in your neighbourhood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 19:47:51 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip
Result. Would you have a link to the one you actually used please Bob?

Any idea how it may impact any other creatures, like birds or people
walking past with their dogs etc (the dogs, I doubt the people could
hear it)? ;-)

I used this one http://tinyurl.com/zpsbdak

Thanks for that Bob.

The pattern of the pir is a low level fan across the grass so birds
unless they land on the ground are not affected. We feed them from
hanging feeders so they are happy.

That's Good.

People need to come onto our land to trigger the PIR, passing on the
pavement will not trigger it.

Also good.

My son can hear it each time and sometimes my ears will pickup the pulse
envelope not the carrier.

Our daughter will probably also hear it then (she could hear one that
was down the road).

The battery cover screws on with minuscule screws self tapped into
plastic but with my remote power supply, everything was fitted, tested
and then sealed with neutral cure silicone and has remained working. The
PIR has a blue led for walk testing which provides an indication it
continues to work.

That sounds like a neat solution. Neighbour (whose garden we use and
want to also protect) has an outside socket so (after checking with
him etc) we could use that to power one of those, possibly using the
wall mounting option or mounted on a weighted box with the power unit
(to keep it dry but ventilated etc).

Or, giving they are 'supposed' to work off 4 x AA for '3-4' months, I
wonder if they were NiMh's and paralleled with a suitable (6V?) solar
panel, that might also make it self sufficient so I could run the
other at the other end of the garden (and it's also in the sun). ;-)

hth

It may well indeed, thanks. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2016 14:55, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:29:37 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 17/04/2016 14:18, alan_m wrote:
On 17/04/2016 14:08, John Rumm wrote:

How would you suggest the cat owners "look after their pets" and prevent
them crapping in your garden? Large cork perhaps?

It's up to the antisocial owner to sort that problem not the recipient
of the cat ****.

How do you propose they do that?

As he says John, not 'our' problem. One way (for example) would be not

Well clearly it *is* your problem since you are the one dealing with the
kitty turds. Since I doubt most cat owners would consider keeping them
permanently inside was a realistic option, or for that matter taking
them for a nocturnal walk on a lead for a few hours every night, there
is only a limited range of things they can plausibly do; like making
sure they have usable toilet facilities at home etc. Even then it will
not guarantee they don't also "go" elsewhere.

to take on something you aren't fully responsible for in the first
place? Or keep the things 'under control, by accompanying them when
they go outdoors, keeping them indoors or ensuring they can't leave
their own property (netting over the garden / whatever, like I said,
not my responsibility).

Oh well, look at the bright side, at least you get the benefit of free
vermin control provided by the neighbourhood cats.

Do all the cats contributing to your garden even have "owners" (a loose
concept with cats anyway!)

Good point and 'possibly not'. So, like with any potentially 'stray'
animal causing people problems, can't they be rounded up and 'dealt
with', like they do with stray dogs, rats or any other vermin?

Sounds like you have a new career calling ;-)

(not wishing to sound like I don't sympathise, but living out in the
sticks a bit I realise how futile it is worrying about things crapping
in your garden - by the time the foxes, badgers, cats, horses etc have
done their stuff, worrying about which "owner" is to blame does seem to
be rather pointless!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:14:06 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

snip

You might equally get upset by fly-tipping, stabbing's and a burning
car in your road. ;-)

Never a dull moment in your neighbourhood.

Nope. ;-)

It was funny last night ... but first I'll take you back a few years

We used to have some sh1te neighbours, trouble from the moment they
moved in (not directly to me for some reason weg) but would be
blasting up and down the road on quad bikes, no TAX, insurance or
protective gear, often with young child (just wearing shorts) sitting
on the tank etc. Old bill rarely in sight.

I rode our daughters 125cc scooter 100 yards down the road with
daughter on the back (but still displaying her L plates) and 50 yds
into the journey (to collect my bike, didn't fancy walking with all my
gear on) come face to face with a traffic car that puts the blues on
and blocks my path. I drew alongside, he lowered his window, I briefly
explained the situation (in a 'Would you believe it' type tone) and he
drove off. ;-)

Back to last night ... waited for it to get dark and was trying a
solar LED light out on the front of the house with the Mrs. We had
been out there for about 30 seconds when we hear from behind us, 'Can
I help you Sir?'. We look round and in the road was a patrol car and a
Policeman 'checking out' what we were up to (which obviously did look
a bit suspicious). ;-)

30 seconds into a 2 minute experiment and a cop comes past *and*
stops. If only they were that vigilant or present all the time ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:44:33 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

You might equally get upset by fly-tipping, stabbing's and a burning
car in your road. ;-)

Fortunately we don't get much of those, certainly not the last two and
only occasionally do we see fly-tipping.

Ok. ;-)

Cheers!

* http://tinyurl.com/jozdu9c Pics of Cornish hedges here
http://tinyurl.com/hw4nzvx and here http://tinyurl.com/jshp8yr

Thanks for those. Very substantial and I can see how most could be
climbed by animals.

Not quite so easy with 6' of vertical panel plus 2' of trellis, as is
the norm round here.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2016 21:04, John Rumm wrote:

Oh well, look at the bright side, at least you get the benefit of free
vermin control provided by the neighbourhood cats.

In a urban environment they are more likely to be the cause of a lack of
bird wildlife.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 17/04/2016 14:18, alan_m wrote:
On 17/04/2016 14:08, John Rumm wrote:

How would you suggest the cat owners "look after their pets" and prevent
them crapping in your garden? Large cork perhaps?

It's up to the antisocial owner to sort that problem not the recipient
of the cat ****.

How do you propose they do that?

As he says John, not 'our' problem. One way (for example) would be not

Well clearly it *is* your problem since you are the one dealing with the
kitty turds.

Yes, it ends up being my / our problem but the point was that it
shouldn't be?

Since I doubt most cat owners would consider keeping them
permanently inside was a realistic option, or for that matter taking
them for a nocturnal walk on a lead for a few hours every night,

There is no less a reason than they couldn't than expecting me to deal
with their mess? I mean, people *do* takes cats for a walk on a lead
and maybe more would if they were held responsible for their actions?

there
is only a limited range of things they can plausibly do; like making
sure they have usable toilet facilities at home etc.

Yes, that would be one, like a toilet tent in their own back garden.

Even then it will
not guarantee they don't also "go" elsewhere.

No, quite, but at least it would show 'good intentions' rather than
the 'meh' you typically get?

to take on something you aren't fully responsible for in the first
place? Or keep the things 'under control, by accompanying them when
they go outdoors, keeping them indoors or ensuring they can't leave
their own property (netting over the garden / whatever, like I said,
not my responsibility).

Oh well, look at the bright side, at least you get the benefit of free
vermin control provided by the neighbourhood cats.

I'd rather have the vermin thanks! ;-)

Do all the cats contributing to your garden even have "owners" (a loose
concept with cats anyway!)

Good point and 'possibly not'. So, like with any potentially 'stray'
animal causing people problems, can't they be rounded up and 'dealt
with', like they do with stray dogs, rats or any other vermin?

Sounds like you have a new career calling ;-)

If they were looking for volunteers even I think I'd sign up. I'd
consider it 'caring in the community'. ;-)

(not wishing to sound like I don't sympathise, but living out in the
sticks a bit I realise how futile it is worrying about things crapping
in your garden - by the time the foxes, badgers, cats, horses etc have
done their stuff, worrying about which "owner" is to blame does seem to
be rather pointless!)

Sure, and if you do live in such a place I can see how you would (of
course) have a different and not unreasonable pov. But when you live
in a more urban environment, often with restricted space, aren't
surrounded by such a wide range of creatures, have otherwise
animal-proof boundaries and possibly a much higher density of these
'sh1t tippers', it can and often *does* become a PITA to many. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/2016 21:54, alan_m wrote:
On 17/04/2016 21:04, John Rumm wrote:

Oh well, look at the bright side, at least you get the benefit of free
vermin control provided by the neighbourhood cats.

In a urban environment they are more likely to be the cause of a lack of
bird wildlife.

Result, stops you worrying about them crapping on your car...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:14:06 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

snip

[...]

They know who the trouble makers are because their undercover cat squad
patrols the area 24/7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:29:06 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:13:37 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 17/04/2016 10:43, MM wrote:
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Has no one got any other ideas? I read once a long time ago that the
Parisian clean-up squad rode around the city on motorbikes with a
nitrogen wand that froze dog poo solid. It was then much easier to
deal with.

MM

Get a jack russell terrier.

Nope. I don't like dogs. Ever watched a relative or friend's dog
pulling its arse across the carpet on which the family toddler is
playing. Messy, filthy, smelly, drooling animals that drink out of
toilets.

Get a snake then.

Good idea! I'll just pop to the snake shop right now...

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

[Snip]

Not to mention birds

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 17/04/2016 10:43, MM wrote:
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Has no one got any other ideas? I read once a long time ago that the
Parisian clean-up squad rode around the city on motorbikes with a
nitrogen wand that froze dog poo solid. It was then much easier to
deal with.

MM

Get a jack russell terrier.

Nope. I don't like dogs. Ever watched a relative or friend's dog
pulling its arse across the carpet on which the family toddler is
playing. Messy, filthy, smelly, drooling animals that drink out of
toilets.

Don't be so harsh on those toddlers.

Good one!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:53:39 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:43:19 +0100, MM wrote:

I've tried jets of water from the garden hose, but that isn't effective.
The summer months are a little better, because it's warmer and the poo
dries out and crumbles.

How about a pressure washer? That'll certainly shift it. Just make sure
you stand in such a position so you don't end up getting sprayed with the
**** you're trying to remove.

(By the way, no point suggesting stopping cats messing on my lawn. I've
tried everything in that department already, short of having automatic
scatterguns like on the former East German border fence.)

What about those fake cats you can buy cheap? They're just two-
dimensional black cat-shaped cut-outs with green glass for eyes which you
position where the real cats can see them before entering your garden. I
gather they're quite effective.

I have also heard that they ~may~ be effective. But other people have
said that the visitor cats soon realise that the "dead" cat is in fact
dead, despite the glittering eyes, and then ignore it from then on.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:03:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Why not just mow the ****ing lawn - cat **** and all (if it really is cat
****) and dump the lot in the compost/green bin instead of ****ing about
with the hoe?

We don't have green waste collection here. We have to take the grass
clippings to the local waste recycling plant in Spalding.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:35:38 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:03:58 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Why not just mow the f

snip
lawn - cat **** and all (if it really is cat
****) and dump the lot in the compost/green bin instead of ****ing about
with the hoe?

Have you ever tried doing that OOI? Daughter was working for the local
council doing just that every day and that's why they often wear
disposable overalls, especially in the walled gardens at the back of
flats etc (that seem to suffer more with cat cr*p than 'open' communal
areas).

At least the dog owners could be asked to clear it up first or they
didn't mow it. It (and cat cr*p) doesn't always just get chopped up
and spread about, it can end up wrapped round the wheel on the mower
and that then goes back in the van ... (sometimes lifted in by two
people) ...

Even the face visor didn't prevent her wearing diced slug on her face
now and again (mainly when strimming) so basically anything could end
up anywhere.

Absolutely. Disgusting suggestion from Mr ARW.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 13:54:18 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Never had a problem with it. Straight over it with the mower and it is
gone - dog ****, cat **** or fox ****. If a bit sticks to the mower blades
then so what?

What about the bags full of grass clippings that you're going to load
into the boot of your car to take to the local waste recycling centre?
Or don't you mind transporting minced cat poo 5 feet behind your head?

(We don't have a green waste collection in South Lincs.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:11:28 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

The mower is probably still more sterile than the gents door handle in the
local pub.

This is a modern day problem. Trying to find the bit of the handle that
you think no one else has used. Or hang around looking dodgy until
someone else comes in or goes out and you can tailgate them, which makes
you look even dodgier.

Just use the sleeve of your jacket. It's not rocket sicence!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

er.co.uk escribió:

The mower is probably still more sterile than the gents door handle in the
local pub.

This is a modern day problem. Trying to find the bit of the handle that
you think no one else has used. Or hang around looking dodgy until
someone else comes in or goes out and you can tailgate them, which makes
you look even dodgier.

I suppose you could wear latex gloves before entering and look normal:-)

And FFS the OP is whinging about a bit of nature. It's a couple of small
amimal turds.

No, it's not. Sometimes it could be five or six. And they are not
usually turds, but *piles*. It's not the same thing at all. If they
were turds I could get a picker-upper/grabber specifically for cat
poo, but they're not. They are little piles of watery cat ****. (I'm
delberately trying to make it sound as disgusting as possible for you,
because I fear you may not have been brought up with sufficient regard
to hygiene. Cat poo IS revolting, and to pooh-pooh it as something on
a par with the door handles in public conveniences is rather silly.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:52:43 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Actually, you should count yourself lucky. We get regularly visited by
a neighbour's dog. An altogether more substantial job!

If it was the neigbour's dog I could complain to the council, couldn't
I? Dogs must be chipped as of a few days ago.

But even so, dog poo is slightly more amenable to being "rolled" on to
a shovel, whereas cat poo, mostly a sticky mess, cannot. You have to
*scrape* it on to the shovel.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

[...]

It's situations like this where I can understand Americans' propensity
for being armed.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

MM wrote:
[...]

Interesting. What's the make and model?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

The mower is probably still more sterile than the gents door handle in the
local pub.

This is a modern day problem. Trying to find the bit of the handle that
you think no one else has used. Or hang around looking dodgy until
someone else comes in or goes out and you can tailgate them, which makes
you look even dodgier.

I suppose you could wear latex gloves before entering and look normal:-)

And FFS the OP is whinging about a bit of nature. It's a couple of small
amimal turds.

OK until they get elsewhere. At one time I used a push mower, no grass box
and the rear deflector had rusted off (I soon replaced that!). Hitting cat
**** that's somewhat hidden by the grass[1] could be a bit unfortunate.

As in another post, keeping the grass short seems to help; leaving the
clippings on also seems to deter cats.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:44:58 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip

[...]

I've now followed the links and also found the Pestbye product on
Amazon.co.uk for £14.99 (although the eBay offer is selling TWO for
£24.99). Don't know whether I'd need two for quite a small lawn (6m x
6m approx).

But what struck me was the number of customer reviews on the Amazon
page: 2,793!

Also, the product is listed as "#1 Best Seller in Pet & Wild Animal
Control".

Looks highly likely I'll try one. However, the manufacturer reckons
that batteries should last for 3 - 4 months.

The walk testing thingie also sounds as if the company knows what it's
doing, because that would have been my next question: How to tell.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 20:26:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

Our daughter will probably also hear it then (she could hear one that
was down the road).

Thankfully, this is one area in which my old, decrepit body excels, as
my hearing is crap. The NHS hearing aids whistle like one of Pete
Waterman's trains, so I only wear them at Christmas.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:46:52 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

[...]

Well, I suppose I could try that, too. The cats nearly always "go" in
the same place. What does work is the deterrent granules (not the
lemon pepper stuff, which is useless, or the Wilko spray deterrent,
also useless), but that is ruddy expensive.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

The mower is probably still more sterile than the gents door handle in the
local pub.

This is a modern day problem. Trying to find the bit of the handle that
you think no one else has used. Or hang around looking dodgy until
someone else comes in or goes out and you can tailgate them, which makes
you look even dodgier.

Just use the sleeve of your jacket. It's not rocket sicence!

Not much use if you aren't wearing a jacket.

I'd like to see hand sanitiser sprays installed outside. They'd be easy
to site because there'd no need to hide them from the gaze of
other-sex-people or passer-by.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 08:38:21 +0100, MM wrote:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:52:43 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Actually, you should count yourself lucky. We get regularly visited by a
neighbour's dog. An altogether more substantial job!

If it was the neigbour's dog I could complain to the council, couldn't
I? Dogs must be chipped as of a few days ago.

But even so, dog poo is slightly more amenable to being "rolled" on to a
shovel, whereas cat poo, mostly a sticky mess, cannot. You have to
*scrape* it on to the shovel.

Our cats' poo (which is either in the litter tray or buried in the garden)
[1] is much more solid then that. I think it depends on diet - ours get
mainly dry cat food.

[1] Yes, I'm sure. One cat is scared to go out after she got lost a while
ago. The other is old and doesn't leave the garden.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

... ****ing antisocial cat owners that cannot be bothered to
look after their pets.

I've only read a dozen responses out of 81 -- life being too short and
all that, but:

I ABSOLUTELY agree with your disgust and your sentiments alan_m, except
for the last one (above). And I am a cat owner -- we inherited a cat
from our son who came home for a few months "between moves" and left his
cat with us, about six years ago.

Leaving aside everything else that could be said about cats: we have a
lovely big garden, but there is NO WAY that we can control where the
effing cat ****s. (Nor, unfortunately all the other effing cats round
about, who seem to like our garden.)

Due to the awful sodding, sodden winter we've had, the cat stopped going
outside and I had to institute an effing litter tray (which *I*, not the
wife, have to look after[1]). Sometime the cat uses it, sometimes it
doesn't: there is simply no rhyme or reason to the way the buggers
behave.

My point is: a cat owner can be as socially aware as you would wish, but
they cannot control where the cat ****s.

Personally I think that domestic pets should be banned entirely; keep em
back on the farm, where they belong, and contribute.

John

[1] Although I get far less (i.e. zero) out of the cat than my wife, and
although it prefers her company to mine, I seem to be the one who does
all the logistical support. And before you tell me: No, I can't get it
put down! Though I've come close to hitting it with a a Number One
shovel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 17:44:58 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip

[...]

Based on my experience, one will be sufficient for your needs.
I chose on the basis that it had controls for pulse type and volume.
In practice mid range and full volume (why not?) seems to have worked.