Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newbie Gardiner - Mowing A Lawn

We a small garden lawn area of about 20ft x 10ft. We have new turf laid
and as advised have kept off it for 3 weeks, watering it twice a day
(except when it rained) and this weekend gave it it's first cut.

There are a number of problems I would like some advice on please.

1. I am using a rotary mower. The grass was long to begin with and we
were advised to set the mower on its highest level (off the ground). The
trouble the wheels of the mower flatten the grass they travel on, and
then the footsteps of the person pushing the mower flatten the grass
too. The result is a very untidy finish combining wheel tracks and
footsteps.

2. Off-cuts. The mower did leave some clumps of cuttings in it's wake
(it did gather most in it's bin). I tried gently raking the lawn to
gather and collect these but gave up after it seem like I was ripping
the grass blades out of the soil too. The clumps of off cuts compound
the untidy finish mentioned in 1.

3. In view of 1 and 2 above, any recommendations for a reasonable mower
(not too expensive).

4. Using the lawn. The kids want to use the lawn for their little
kick-abouts. Is it best to keep the grass long or short of this type of
regular usage?

All advice gratefully received.

SR_NG