Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default If there's one thing that turns my stomach, it's cat poo on thelawn before mowing

MM wrote:
Every time I mow the lawn there's cat poo to be removed. I hate it.
It's never solid, always messy, slimy, stinky, totally revolting. The
only way I've found to remove it is by scraping with a dutch hoe on to
a shovel.

Has no one got any other ideas? I read once a long time ago that the
Parisian clean-up squad rode around the city on motorbikes with a
nitrogen wand that froze dog poo solid. It was then much easier to
deal with.

Have we nothing like that in Britain?

I've tried jets of water from the garden hose, but that isn't
effective. The summer months are a little better, because it's warmer
and the poo dries out and crumbles.

Later today I will have to steel myself to go "out there" for the
first time with the mower this year, but first I'll have to attack the
cat mess.

I'm desperate for a better solution!

(By the way, no point suggesting stopping cats messing on my lawn.
I've tried everything in that department already, short of having
automatic scatterguns like on the former East German border fence.)

MM

I have had complete success in removing the problem using an ultrasonic
cat scarer. Although designed to be battery operated, they eat batteries
so I made dummy cells to fit inside and run it from a DC wallwart inside
a nearby building with low voltage wire exiting through an airbrick. One
unit is covering about 60 sq metres mounted unobtrusively in one corner.
We our garden is completely open to the road and we don't even see any
cats taking a short cut or even a "**** cut" since installing it about 9
months ago.

hth