Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default If there's one thing that turns my stomach, it's cat poo on thelawn before mowing

MM wrote:
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:41:24 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 18/04/2016 08:52, MM wrote:

But what struck me was the number of customer reviews on the Amazon
page: 2,793!

But 400+ say it doesn't work.

But 2,300-odd didn't, therefore they're happy!

My experience with something similar was that the vermin got used to it
after a week or so and just ignored it.

My lawn was freshly mown 3 days ago and the Pestbye installed. So far,
no cat mess! Success!

(Normally, a freshly mown lawn has acted like a magnet for cats'
bottoms on past experience.)

MM

I always thought they liked the longer grass, assuming they liked to
wipe their filthy little arses on it. But I'll certainly look at
Pestbye. We used to have bird houses in the garden, until the cat that
took over our garden learned how to climb on top of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/04/2016 08:52, MM wrote:

But what struck me was the number of customer reviews on the Amazon
page: 2,793!

But 400+ say it doesn't work.

But 2,300-odd didn't, therefore they're happy!

My experience with something similar was that the vermin got used to it
after a week or so and just ignored it.

My lawn was freshly mown 3 days ago and the Pestbye installed. So far,
no cat mess! Success!

(Normally, a freshly mown lawn has acted like a magnet for cats'
bottoms on past experience.)

MM

I always thought they liked the longer grass, assuming they liked to wipe
their filthy little arses on it.

Cats don't wipe their arses on the grass.

But I'll certainly look at
Pestbye. We used to have bird houses in the garden, until the cat that
took over our garden learned how to climb on top of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/04/2016 08:52, MM wrote:

But what struck me was the number of customer reviews on the Amazon
page: 2,793!

But 400+ say it doesn't work.

But 2,300-odd didn't, therefore they're happy!

They were happy when they wrote their report.
I bet theres millions happy with their diesel cars giving out hardly any pollution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 22 April 2016 11:25:35 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

I always thought they liked the longer grass, assuming they liked to
wipe their filthy little arses on it. But I'll certainly look at
Pestbye. We used to have bird houses in the garden, until the cat that
took over our garden learned how to climb on top of it.

Didn't realise cats were that smart at outwitting humans.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"3899jk" wrote in message ...

**** off rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 18/04/2016 08:52, MM wrote:

But what struck me was the number of customer reviews on the Amazon
page: 2,793!

But 400+ say it doesn't work.

But 2,300-odd didn't, therefore they're happy!

My experience with something similar was that the vermin got used to it
after a week or so and just ignored it.

My lawn was freshly mown 3 days ago and the Pestbye installed. So far,
no cat mess! Success!

(Normally, a freshly mown lawn has acted like a magnet for cats'
bottoms on past experience.)

MM

I always thought they liked the longer grass, assuming they liked to
wipe their filthy little arses on it. But I'll certainly look at
Pestbye. We used to have bird houses in the garden, until the cat that
took over our garden learned how to climb on top of it.

Well, it's only 15 quid, so if it turns out not to work long term, it
ain't exactly a fortune.

Maybe for those gardeners who say it doesn't work, moving it to a new
position every week might "refresh" the neighbourhood so to speak, so
that the cats are totally confused.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2016 08:18, MM wrote:

Maybe for those gardeners who say it doesn't work, moving it to a new
position every week might "refresh" the neighbourhood so to speak, so
that the cats are totally confused.

Again in my experience, When first installed on a cats 'run' the animal
would hear the ultrasonic sound and react but it didn't make it run away
or stop ****ting. For the next few days it would be a bit wary of the
location and after a week completely ignore it.

Internet advice suggests that cat food with a small amount added
anti-freeze acts makes the cat associate your property with being ill
and it starts avoiding the property after a week or two. A cheaper
remedy than spending £15 on something that doesn't work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 08:51:37 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 23/04/2016 08:18, MM wrote:

Maybe for those gardeners who say it doesn't work, moving it to a new
position every week might "refresh" the neighbourhood so to speak, so
that the cats are totally confused.

Again in my experience, When first installed on a cats 'run' the animal
would hear the ultrasonic sound and react but it didn't make it run away
or stop ****ting. For the next few days it would be a bit wary of the
location and after a week completely ignore it.

Internet advice suggests that cat food with a small amount added
anti-freeze...

NO! Anti-freeze is poisonous!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:33:49 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

It's totally ridiculous that a dog owner is fined for letting their
pet foul in a public place but not a cat owner and worse that they can
(officially) get away with their animals fouling other people
*private* gardens and areas. [1]

Dogs are pack animals, they will happily stay in your home and stay with
you when you walk them.

Yup, just how it should be if you own an animal.

Cats are solitary, their nature is to explore,
hide away, hunt and sleep.

Exactly, so not really 'a pet' then?

You can control a dog simply by keeping it in and they will rarely
escape.

Well, if they are the 'escaping' kind they will and do.

Cats on the other hand can dive out of a door the moment you
open it,

(as will some (peoples) dogs)

leave by the windows

Ditto.

(even top opening ones)

Ok, cat's probably have it there. ;-)

and if you have
children, you'll never have any chance whatsoever of stopping a cat
going wherever it wants.

That I understand (but similar for a dog though).

As well as that, cat litter trays stink the house out.

'Tough'? If you (they) don't like the smell, don't have that sort of
'pet'?

A dog can be
walked a couple of times a day,

As could a cat no?

a cat cannot be trained to go only when
you want it too,

Nor can a dog (although they generally do take the opportunity when
you present it to them).

so the tray can be horrible.

So I can imagine.

Luckily, we have never had a cat and very few of our friends and
family have had them either.

Nor do most of the people whose gardens our daughter tends and ALL of
them suffer from and complain about cats fouling in their garden. ;-(

I'm pretty sure something will be done about it (legally) in the future,

Bet it doesn't, essentially because so many of the voters
have cats and they are so much harder to control.

just as I did with smoking way back then.

That is a different thing entirely, because of the health risks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:45:16 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 17/04/2016 16:11, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

The mower is probably still more sterile than the gents door handle in
the
local pub.

This is a modern day problem. Trying to find the bit of the handle that
you think no one else has used. Or hang around looking dodgy until
someone else comes in or goes out and you can tailgate them, which makes
you look even dodgier.

My wife washes her hands at work, drys them with a paper towel, uses a
second towel to turn the tap off and then a third to open the doors on
the way back to her desk. Dropping the third towel in the bin at her desk.

I have often wondered why the doors to toilets all open inwards. Simply
make them open outwards and we'd all be able to go through them without
touching them with our freshly washed hands.

That's a very good point. I have also wondered often why that is.

Its done that way so you don't open the door into someone walking past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message

wrote:

Dogs are pack animals, they will happily stay in your home and stay
with
you when you walk them.

Yup, just how it should be if you own an animal.

Try doing that with a fish.

Cats are solitary, their nature is to explore,
hide away, hunt and sleep.

Exactly, so not really 'a pet' then?

yes exactly like a pet.

Hmmm, I'd say a pet that spends most of it's time out of the house and
out of your sight

Very few cats operate like that, most spend
a lot of time sleeping around the house.

wasn't a pet but just an animal you look after, are
(supposed to be) or play with now_and_again ... more like fell ponies
or racing pigeons.

A pet or companion animal is an animal kept primarily for a person's
company

Yes, company, and remember we aren't talking about 'indoor' 'pets' but
those who aren't being 'companions'.

or protection, as opposed to working animals, sport animals, livestock,
and laboratory animals, which are kept primarily for performance,
agricultural value, or research.

Yup.

The most popular pets are noted for their attractive appearances and their
loyal or playful personalities.

And as you have said, 'their company', something absent whilst they
are absent?

Cats on the other hand can dive out of a door the moment you
open it,

(as will some (peoples) dogs)

Most pets have that ability to some extent.

Fish? ;-)

As well as that, cat litter trays stink the house out.

'Tough'? If you (they) don't like the smell, don't have that sort of
'pet'?

My cats tray doesn't. If t smeels they don;t like using it, which is why
it has to be emptied.

Ok.

A dog can be
walked a couple of times a day,

As could a cat no?

No usually not most breds, but who the hell wants to get home after work
and take the dog for a walk,

Millions (billions?) of people? Maybe you don't understand they whole
'outdoor' concept. ;-)

what's up with dogs can't they walk themselves my cat can.

Dogs can (and do I'm sure) just as easily cats do but dog owners are
held responsible for the actions of their dogs, unlike cat owners it
seems (so far anyway).

My two previous cats could go out all by themselves and evebn come back
by themselves.

Erm .. yes ... ? Isn't that one of their supposed advantages?

so the tray can be horrible.

So I can imagine.

Hardly the worse thing slobbering dogs are far worse in my opionion .

No, I agree, 'slobbering dogs can nearly be as unpleasant as most
cats. ;-)

How wants a dog that has just liked it's balls or eaten some **** to start
slobbering over you.

Very few I should imagine and as 'desirable' as cats walking over your
food preparation surfaces or damaging your HiFi, vases or laptop?

well I know there are peole that do likie it but I've also know people to
be into S&M.

;-)

Luckily, we have never had a cat and very few of our friends and
family have had them either.

So not much experience of them.

I have had as much experience of them to know that I have no need /
use / desire for one, ever.

My dad had a dog, my mum used to say you could tell when it was about as
it's farts stank.

Yup, anything that eats can fart and it can stink.

Nor do most of the people whose gardens our daughter tends and ALL of
them suffer from and complain about cats fouling in their garden. ;-(

yes it is a problem

I / they / millions of people round the world know.

I'm pretty sure something will be done about it (legally) in the
future,

Not sure what can be done exactly.

Chipping, DNA, licences, owner responsibility.

just as I did with smoking way back then.

But it's no illgal to smoke outside even if teh smoke goes into someone
elses garden

No, but the idea that the non smokers just have to put up with it or
go elsewhere was overturned and now it's those creating the smell /
smoke / -ve health effects are the ones who now have to give way to
the wishes of the majority.

Just as dogs *now* have to be chipped (and therefore their owners will
be more culpable) something could be done about cat pollution (via
their owners), just as can be done with nuisance neighbours, ASBO kids
or on-street-drinking.

Cheers, T i m