Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New consumer unit

On 12/02/2016 12:01, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set

For larger cables it's easy enough to use cutters as others have said,
but for smaller sizes I have some fixed strippers/shears, which avoid
the hassle of constantly adjusting them.

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/334-cesoie-multi-uso-dettaglio.html#CSP301

the CSP302 version does larger diameter cables (perhaps OK for 2.5mm^2
and 4.0mm^2 ?)

That's the design of the one I'm using, but I find it really easy to
slip the cable into the wrong slot, especially in less than perfect light
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2016 15:52, Chris French wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 12/02/16 12:01, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set

For larger cables it's easy enough to use cutters as others have said,
but for smaller sizes I have some fixed strippers/shears, which avoid
the hassle of constantly adjusting them.

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/334-cesoie-multi-uso-dettaglio.html#CSP301

the CSP302 version does larger diameter cables (perhaps OK for 2.5mm^2
and 4.0mm^2 ?)

I have a pair of sidecutter with 2 cable cutter "nicks" - 1-1.5mm2 and
2.5mm2 - very useful.

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

I've got a pair of self adjusting ones, that seem to work well and
don't nick the conductor. Sure I can do it with side cutters or a
knife but this is easy and quick.

http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equ...000005-profess
ional-wire-stripper-no-5-86-0320

I actually bought then when we were doing some physics/electrical
stuff with a group of kids and it was much easier to let them use
these rather than teach then how to use a knife, cutters
etc.

They worked so well that the made it into my tool kit.

They look pretty idiot proof. Just the job
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

Split the cable end with a sharp knife. Pull the ECC out to one side with
pliers to cut through the sheath. Pull the split sheath off the blue and
brown. Snip off the sheath with cutters.

The less tools you can leave behind, the better. ;-)

I've done both - the tool I have is *much* easier...

I can strip cables with nothing but a stanley knife, but I prefer to
work more comfortably if possible
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

Split the cable end with a sharp knife. Pull the ECC out to one side with
pliers to cut through the sheath. Pull the split sheath off the blue and
brown. Snip off the sheath with cutters.

The less tools you can leave behind, the better. ;-)

I've done both - the tool I have is *much* easier...

I can strip cables with nothing but a stanley knife, but I prefer to
work more comfortably if possible

Snag with using a sharp knife is its too easy to nick the conductor. With
the relatively blunt jaws of side cutters, you dont. As you don't actually
cut through the insulation with them.

--
*INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:02:21 +0000, wrote:

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 04:37:20 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 20:31:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

Obviously you'd need different ones for different cable sizes (and it
might only be worth having the tool for 2.5mm cable). Hmm - that's actually
a possible explanation. A 2.5mm cable stripper would probably strip the
insulation from a 4.0mm cable - while leaving a very nasty nick on the
copper.

ISTR a sprung one being used at work, but it must have been for soft
insulation.

I have several pairs of the sort that grip the cable and then pull the
insulation off the end. Three are near enough identical, they're just
so useful that I have one on the boat, one in the garage and one in my
study. They are pretty effective from small (though not really tiny)
electronics wire up to 2.5sqmm mains cable. I have a slightly bigger
pair that manages stuff 2.5sqmm. The *only* disadvantage that I find
with them is that they do need a bit of space.

Yes, the space for strippers is a problem - the worst are the simple, flat
ones.
Also at work were some axial ones and they needed far less space than the
radial sort. Trouble was, they kept on breaking down.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

Split the cable end with a sharp knife. Pull the ECC out to one side with
pliers to cut through the sheath. Pull the split sheath off the blue and
brown. Snip off the sheath with cutters.

The less tools you can leave behind, the better. ;-)

I've done both - the tool I have is *much* easier...

I can strip cables with nothing but a stanley knife, but I prefer to
work more comfortably if possible

Snag with using a sharp knife is its too easy to nick the conductor. With
the relatively blunt jaws of side cutters, you dont. As you don't actually
cut through the insulation with them.

True - I only go half way through with a knife then use cutters (on
10+mm2 cable that's tough.

My main point was "I *can* manage with a basic tool, but I'd rather have
an optimal tool when doing a lot" ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 08:19:22 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I can strip cables with nothing but a stanley knife, but I prefer to
work more comfortably if possible

Snag with using a sharp knife is its too easy to nick the conductor. With
the relatively blunt jaws of side cutters, you dont. As you don't actually
cut through the insulation with them.

True - I only go half way through with a knife then use cutters (on
10+mm2 cable that's tough.

My main point was "I *can* manage with a basic tool, but I'd rather have
an optimal tool when doing a lot" ;-)

I tend to prefer a knife. It does anything & everything, but takes a bit of practice. It's insulated, unlike many stanley types.

All types of stripper, including the old fashioned cutters, have their ups & downs, and I got fed up with bumping into their shortcomings.

The automatic ones are good over a limited size range, but useless outside of it. A good choice if you only work on a narow size range and it's not too big.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Snag with using a sharp knife is its too easy to nick the conductor.
With the relatively blunt jaws of side cutters, you dont. As you don't
actually cut through the insulation with them.

True - I only go half way through with a knife then use cutters (on
10+mm2 cable that's tough.

My main point was "I *can* manage with a basic tool, but I'd rather have
an optimal tool when doing a lot" ;-)

I started doing house wiring before special stripping tools were available
(or at least common) so developed the skills of doing it with basic tools.

I have just about every wire stripper known to man here. Thinking one day
I'll find the perfect universal one. Not for house wiring, but for other
stuff - cars and electronics.

The best one I have by far is the type which grips the cable with one set
of jaws and uses a second set - with different sized holes in the cutter -
to pull off the insulation. The universal ones that are meant to set
themselves to any size, near useless.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I tend to prefer a knife. It does anything & everything, but takes a bit
of practice. It's insulated, unlike many stanley types.

Trying to imagine a knife with an insulated blade. Ceramic, perhaps?

--
*Always borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Aye - there's no single one that's perfect. Sidecutters with 1.5/2.5
notches are brilliant for everyday mains wiring. And I have something a
little like these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/...FXSTRIPPER.JPG

for taking T+E sheath off which is bloody brilliant (mine are yellow and
not quite the same, but similar).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Aye - there's no single one that's perfect. Sidecutters with 1.5/2.5
notches are brilliant for everyday mains wiring. And I have something a
little like these:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/...FXSTRIPPER.JPG

I find that type pretty useless. Has a habit of shearing off small flex.
The only one I truly like is similar in principle, but has four different
sized holes on the cutter side. So no attempt to being universal.
You can fiddle with the tension on the one you show, which might be ok if
you then strip lots of cable of the same size, but very hit or miss for
just one.

for taking T+E sheath off which is bloody brilliant (mine are yellow and
not quite the same, but similar).

Thing is of course the tool and method which suits an individual is always
the best. ;-)

IMHO it's a bit like a crimping tool. No such thing as a universal one.
And even ones said to be for a particular job vary greatly.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 14:35:15 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
I tend to prefer a knife. It does anything & everything, but takes a bit
of practice. It's insulated, unlike many stanley types.

Trying to imagine a knife with an insulated blade. Ceramic, perhaps?

It's the rest of it that's insulated. When buying stanley type I always go for metal.

NT

Is new consumer unit necessary? Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 21 December 19th 14 06:57 PM
New consumer unit Terry D[_2_] UK diy 9 December 2nd 07 02:34 PM
Consumer Unit RCD's anon UK diy 4 January 1st 05 01:59 PM
Consumer Unit Nick UK diy 5 November 4th 04 11:48 PM
new consumer unit-do i need an RCD? tarquinlinbin UK diy 16 October 19th 04 10:52 AM