DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New consumer unit (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/390226-new-consumer-unit.html)

AnthonyL February 9th 16 05:49 PM

New consumer unit

I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

--
AnthonyL

Tim Watts[_3_] February 9th 16 06:20 PM

New consumer unit

On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

[email protected] February 9th 16 08:16 PM

New consumer unit

On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 18:20:26 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

or gets the council to certify.

ARW February 9th 16 08:29 PM

New consumer unit

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

--
Adam

bert[_5_] February 9th 16 09:08 PM

New consumer unit

In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?
--
bert

ARW February 9th 16 09:16 PM

New consumer unit

"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s did
today.

--
Adam

AnthonyL February 9th 16 09:30 PM

New consumer unit

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 20:29:09 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

--
AnthonyL

ARW February 9th 16 09:33 PM

New consumer unit

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The certificate should be in your hands within a few days.

That should do.

--
Adam

[email protected] February 9th 16 09:34 PM

New consumer unit

wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:

I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

heh. Why do you think we diy?

NT

Tim Watts[_3_] February 9th 16 09:53 PM

New consumer unit

On 09/02/16 20:29, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do
self certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Good call :)

(Sign in bog)
"The job's not done 'til the paperwork's completed."

Tim Watts[_3_] February 9th 16 09:54 PM

New consumer unit

On 09/02/16 21:16, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s
did today.

Go on...

bert[_5_] February 9th 16 10:50 PM

New consumer unit

In article , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The one who did my extension had all sorts of qualifications like that.
Still had to crawl round in the loft fixing his loose connections - well
his apprentice's loose connections.
--
bert

bert[_5_] February 9th 16 10:51 PM

New consumer unit

In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s
did today.

Try me. I probably will.
--
bert

AnthonyL February 10th 16 10:31 AM

New consumer unit

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 22:50:47 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

No apprentices involved - he does all the work himself.
--
AnthonyL

ARW February 10th 16 05:59 PM

New consumer unit

"bert" wrote in message
In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s did
today.

Try me. I probably will.

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

--
Adam

bert[_5_] February 10th 16 09:31 PM

New consumer unit

In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft
****s did today.

Try me. I probably will.

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal
on the battery that the leads were clamped to..

ROTFL
--
bert

Mike Tomlinson February 11th 16 05:14 AM

New consumer unit

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

Holy crap.

Where do you find them?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

[email protected] February 11th 16 07:07 AM

New consumer unit

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 18:00:17 UTC, ARW wrote:

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

Lol. You need the authority to fire them, it would save your employer a good bit of dough. I know everyone has to learn, but some plainly haven't learnt much in life so far, so aren't good candidates for investment.

NT

ARW February 11th 16 06:24 PM

New consumer unit

"bert" wrote in message

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on
the battery that the leads were clamped to..

ROTFL

Today he almost correctly fitted a cooker switch.

A pity that when I checked it it said "NO" above the switch

--
Adam

Stuart Noble February 11th 16 06:42 PM

New consumer unit

On 11/02/2016 18:24, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal
on the battery that the leads were clamped to..

ROTFL

Today he almost correctly fitted a cooker switch.

A pity that when I checked it it said "NO" above the switch

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set, allowing you to easily
select the wrong thickness and cut into the copper (a right bugger when
you've got all the cables cut to the right length)

ARW February 11th 16 07:31 PM

New consumer unit

"stuart noble" wrote in message

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set, allowing you to easily
select the wrong thickness and cut into the copper (a right bugger when
you've got all the cables cut to the right length)

We use diagonal wire cutters for most T&E. Electricians do not use a cable
stripper.

http://www.workshopping.co.uk/media/...408-200-UK.jpg

Are the best IMHO. Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

--
Adam

Mike Tomlinson February 11th 16 08:21 PM

New consumer unit

En el artículo , stuart noble
escribió:

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with.

Real men use wire cutters. :)

--
(\_/)

Mike Tomlinson February 11th 16 08:24 PM

New consumer unit

er.co.uk escribió:

Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

Not a bad idea. They appreciate their value when they've had to pay for
them. Don't they nick other people's?

An overseas site I worked at had tools costing thousands of pounds
disappear over the years.

--
(\_/)

ARW February 11th 16 09:03 PM

New consumer unit

er.co.uk escribió:

Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

Not a bad idea. They appreciate their value when they've had to pay for
them. Don't they nick other people's?

Sorry mate but this reply is mostly for bert just so that he can ROTFL
again:-)

Yes they can steal.

One apprentice (sacked) stole my works jumper. He denied it and was made to
stand in front of the MD with me to explain his actions.

We argued the toss about whose jumper it was until the MD pointed out that
it was my name that was embroidered on the front of the jumper that the
appentice was wearing.

--
Adam

bert[_5_] February 11th 16 09:21 PM

New consumer unit

In article , ARW
writes
er.co.uk escribió:

Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

Not a bad idea. They appreciate their value when they've had to pay for
them. Don't they nick other people's?

Sorry mate but this reply is mostly for bert just so that he can ROTFL
again:-)

Yes they can steal.

One apprentice (sacked) stole my works jumper. He denied it and was
made to stand in front of the MD with me to explain his actions.

We argued the toss about whose jumper it was until the MD pointed out
that it was my name that was embroidered on the front of the jumper
that the appentice was wearing.

Priceless.

--
bert

ARW February 11th 16 09:37 PM

New consumer unit

"bert" wrote in message
In article , ARW
writes
er.co.uk escribió:

Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

Not a bad idea. They appreciate their value when they've had to pay for
them. Don't they nick other people's?

Sorry mate but this reply is mostly for bert just so that he can ROTFL
again:-)

Yes they can steal.

One apprentice (sacked) stole my works jumper. He denied it and was made
to stand in front of the MD with me to explain his actions.

We argued the toss about whose jumper it was until the MD pointed out that
it was my name that was embroidered on the front of the jumper that the
appentice was wearing.

Priceless.

I still like the one caught smoking in a works van. Not that anyone at work
cares about that. But he denied it right up until he was given the ticket
for throwing the tab end out of the window for littering as seen by the
council bod.

--
Adam

AnthonyL February 12th 16 08:25 AM

New consumer unit

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The certificate should be in your hands within a few days.

That should do.

We may be talking about 2 different things perhaps?

I was given a NAPIT Electrical Installation Certificate (3 pages) with
the bill on the day after the work was completed.

AFAICanTell the electrician was very thorough and diligent as well as
- almost to the point of boredom - saying "I'm going to turn the power
off for x mins - is that ok?". He found some wires going nowhere - so
he has not taken them into the new CU (which is a new location), he's
put new earths onto nearby water and gas pipes, checked a number of
light fittings for earths or plastic, found that three double sockets
in the utility room had no earth due to a loose wire in the nearby
junction box and for a very reasonable price added a double socket in
the attic so I don't have to trail and extension lead up there.

The new CU is split into two sets of circuits with RCD and there's a
brand new "OFF" switch in the meter box outside.

So at the moment I'm well pleased - until no doubt one of you will say
"did he check xxxx ?"

--
AnthonyL

Stuart Noble February 12th 16 10:45 AM

New consumer unit

On 11/02/2016 19:31, ARW wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper
your lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set, allowing you to
easily select the wrong thickness and cut into the copper (a right
bugger when you've got all the cables cut to the right length)

We use diagonal wire cutters for most T&E. Electricians do not use a
cable stripper.

http://www.workshopping.co.uk/media/...408-200-UK.jpg

Are the best IMHO. Apprentices are not issued with hand tools and are
expected to build up a collection of their own over the years.

Thanks. I'll try that technique next time

Stuart Noble February 12th 16 10:47 AM

New consumer unit

On 11/02/2016 20:21, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , stuart noble
escribió:

As an aside, I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with.

Real men use wire cutters. :)

This man would almost certainly squeeze too hard :-)

Mike Tomlinson February 12th 16 11:34 AM

New consumer unit

En el artículo , stuart noble
escribió:

Real men use wire cutters. :)

This man would almost certainly squeeze too hard :-)

Nice comeback :)

--
(\_/)

Andy Burns[_11_] February 12th 16 12:01 PM

New consumer unit

stuart noble wrote:

I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set

For larger cables it's easy enough to use cutters as others have said,
but for smaller sizes I have some fixed strippers/shears, which avoid
the hassle of constantly adjusting them.

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/334-cesoie-multi-uso-dettaglio.html#CSP301

the CSP302 version does larger diameter cables (perhaps OK for 2.5mm^2
and 4.0mm^2 ?)

Martin Bonner February 12th 16 12:37 PM

New consumer unit

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 20:31:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

Obviously you'd need different ones for different cable sizes (and it
might only be worth having the tool for 2.5mm cable). Hmm - that's actually
a possible explanation. A 2.5mm cable stripper would probably strip the
insulation from a 4.0mm cable - while leaving a very nasty nick on the
copper.

Tim Watts[_3_] February 12th 16 03:31 PM

New consumer unit

On 12/02/16 12:01, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set

For larger cables it's easy enough to use cutters as others have said,
but for smaller sizes I have some fixed strippers/shears, which avoid
the hassle of constantly adjusting them.

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/334-cesoie-multi-uso-dettaglio.html#CSP301

the CSP302 version does larger diameter cables (perhaps OK for 2.5mm^2
and 4.0mm^2 ?)

I have a pair of sidecutter with 2 cable cutter "nicks" - 1-1.5mm2 and
2.5mm2 - very useful.

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

Dave Plowman (News) February 12th 16 03:56 PM

New consumer unit

In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

With a bit of practice, you can use side cutters to strip all the common
sizes (single core) easily. But it does require skill to get it just right
and not damage the conductor.

I have a set of wire strippers - the sort that grip the cable and remove
the insulation with a lever action - with jaws exactly right for the
common sizes. The snag is it need some space to work - where sidecutters
can be used anywhere. So keep it just for the workbench.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News) February 12th 16 03:59 PM

New consumer unit

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

Split the cable end with a sharp knife. Pull the ECC out to one side with
pliers to cut through the sheath. Pull the split sheath off the blue and
brown. Snip off the sheath with cutters.

The less tools you can leave behind, the better. ;-)

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

PeterC February 12th 16 04:04 PM

New consumer unit

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 04:37:20 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 20:31:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

Obviously you'd need different ones for different cable sizes (and it
might only be worth having the tool for 2.5mm cable). Hmm - that's actually
a possible explanation. A 2.5mm cable stripper would probably strip the
insulation from a 4.0mm cable - while leaving a very nasty nick on the
copper.

ISTR a sprung one being used at work, but it must have been for soft
insulation.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Chris French February 12th 16 04:17 PM

New consumer unit

stuart noble wrote:

I'd be interested to know what type of cable stripper your
lads get issued with. Mine are difficult to set

For larger cables it's easy enough to use cutters as others have said,
but for smaller sizes I have some fixed strippers/shears, which avoid
the hassle of constantly adjusting them.

http://www.piergiacomi.com/piergiacomi/en/products/hand-tools/334-cesoie-multi-uso-dettaglio.html#CSP301

the CSP302 version does larger diameter cables (perhaps OK for 2.5mm^2
and 4.0mm^2 ?)

I have a pair of sidecutter with 2 cable cutter "nicks" - 1-1.5mm2 and
2.5mm2 - very useful.

I also have a T+E sheath stripper which takes 1 second to take several
inch section off.

I've got a pair of self adjusting ones, that seem to work well and
don't nick the conductor. Sure I can do it with side cutters or a
knife but this is easy and quick.

http://www.rapidonline.com/tools-equ...000005-profess
ional-wire-stripper-no-5-86-0320

I actually bought then when we were doing some physics/electrical
stuff with a group of kids and it was much easier to let them use
these rather than teach then how to use a knife, cutters
etc.

They worked so well that the made it into my tool kit.
Chris French

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

charles February 12th 16 04:32 PM

New consumer unit

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Martin Bonner wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

With a bit of practice, you can use side cutters to strip all the common
sizes (single core) easily. But it does require skill to get it just right
and not damage the conductor.

I have a set of wire strippers - the sort that grip the cable and remove
the insulation with a lever action - with jaws exactly right for the
common sizes. The snag is it need some space to work - where sidecutters
can be used anywhere. So keep it just for the workbench.

a Stanley knife (or equivalent) can do the job. In a confined space s
scalpel works well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

[email protected] February 12th 16 05:02 PM

New consumer unit

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 04:37:20 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 20:31:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

Obviously you'd need different ones for different cable sizes (and it
might only be worth having the tool for 2.5mm cable). Hmm - that's actually
a possible explanation. A 2.5mm cable stripper would probably strip the
insulation from a 4.0mm cable - while leaving a very nasty nick on the
copper.

ISTR a sprung one being used at work, but it must have been for soft
insulation.

I have several pairs of the sort that grip the cable and then pull the
insulation off the end. Three are near enough identical, they're just
so useful that I have one on the boat, one in the garage and one in my
study. They are pretty effective from small (though not really tiny)
electronics wire up to 2.5sqmm mains cable. I have a slightly bigger
pair that manages stuff 2.5sqmm. The *only* disadvantage that I find
with them is that they do need a bit of space.

--
Chris Green
·

ARW February 12th 16 06:03 PM

New consumer unit

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds fine to me and it seems that he has done a thorough job. The invoice
is sent with the certificate. This is Part P notifiable and you will later
get a letter from the council telling you that the work has been registered.

It is good manners to warn people that the electric is going off even for 1
minute [1] - cordless phones and computers spring to mind in most houses.

[1] Unlike the apprentice that was PAT testing in an office and just started
unplugging computers that people were working on:-)

--
Adam