Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New consumer unit

I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 February 2016 18:20:26 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

or gets the council to certify.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 20:29:09 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The certificate should be in your hands within a few days.

That should do.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The certificate should be in your hands within a few days.

That should do.

We may be talking about 2 different things perhaps?

I was given a NAPIT Electrical Installation Certificate (3 pages) with
the bill on the day after the work was completed.

AFAICanTell the electrician was very thorough and diligent as well as
- almost to the point of boredom - saying "I'm going to turn the power
off for x mins - is that ok?". He found some wires going nowhere - so
he has not taken them into the new CU (which is a new location), he's
put new earths onto nearby water and gas pipes, checked a number of
light fittings for earths or plastic, found that three double sockets
in the utility room had no earth due to a loose wire in the nearby
junction box and for a very reasonable price added a double socket in
the attic so I don't have to trail and extension lead up there.

The new CU is split into two sets of circuits with RCD and there's a
brand new "OFF" switch in the meter box outside.

So at the moment I'm well pleased - until no doubt one of you will say
"did he check xxxx ?"

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:

I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

heh. Why do you think we diy?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do self
certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Seems a bit harsh as this can take a couple of months or so?

The electrician is NAPIT approved with Part P certification and
conforms to the 17th Edition regulations and on the the Electric Safe
register so hopefully all should be ok.

The one who did my extension had all sorts of qualifications like that.
Still had to crawl round in the loft fixing his loose connections - well
his apprentice's loose connections.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016 22:50:47 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , AnthonyL
writes
wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

No apprentices involved - he does all the work himself.
--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 20:29, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 09/02/16 17:49, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he's a member of an appropriate professional body that can do
self certification - eg NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPIT to name 3 of many.

That SHOULD do it.

I would say no payment until the the job is signed off (you get a letter
from the council) or the certificates are in the OPs hands.

Good call

(Sign in bog)
"The job's not done 'til the paperwork's completed."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s did
today.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/16 21:16, ARW wrote:
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s
did today.

Go on...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s
did today.

Try me. I probably will.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"bert" wrote in message
In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft ****s did
today.

Try me. I probably will.

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , ARW
writes
"bert" wrote in message
In article , AnthonyL
writes
I'm having a new CU fitted, in a different (better) location to the
old one. What do I need to ensure I get in terms of certification and
what do I need to ensure about the electrician?

That he doesn't employ apprentices?

Don't get me started. You would not believe what one of the daft
****s did today.

Try me. I probably will.

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal
on the battery that the leads were clamped to..

ROTFL
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

Holy crap.

Where do you find them?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 February 2016 18:00:17 UTC, ARW wrote:

Spent 20 minutes trying to work out why the jump leads did not work.

It took me 3 seconds to see the red plastic cover on the +ve terminal on the
battery that the leads were clamped to..

Lol. You need the authority to fire them, it would save your employer a good bit of dough. I know everyone has to learn, but some plainly haven't learnt much in life so far, so aren't good candidates for investment.

NT

Is new consumer unit necessary? Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 21 December 19th 14 06:57 PM
New consumer unit Terry D[_2_] UK diy 9 December 2nd 07 02:34 PM
Consumer Unit RCD's anon UK diy 4 January 1st 05 01:59 PM
Consumer Unit Nick UK diy 5 November 4th 04 11:48 PM
new consumer unit-do i need an RCD? tarquinlinbin UK diy 16 October 19th 04 10:52 AM