anon

Default Consumer Unit RCD's

Hi
We have a MEM Consumer unit with a MEM 80A 30ma RCD (dual pole)
Question is are these RCD's standard size fitting across the different
manufactures
ie would a MK or WYLEX or VOLEX 80A 30ma Dual pole RCD fit this consumer
unit instead of the MEM one
Just wondering ?
Regards

John Rumm

anon wrote:

Hi
We have a MEM Consumer unit with a MEM 80A 30ma RCD (dual pole)
Question is are these RCD's standard size fitting across the different
manufactures
ie would a MK or WYLEX or VOLEX 80A 30ma Dual pole RCD fit this consumer
unit instead of the MEM one
Just wondering ?

Most RCDs are designed to fit on a standard DIN E Rail. Hence they
*should* be interchangeable. You may still find subtle differences
though that make one brand a better fit than others in some CUs. I know
from personal experiance that Hager, Contactum, and MK seem to
interchange OK.

Why not track down the RCD you have/will get on the makers web site, and
get the spec sheet for it. You can then compare drawings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Stephen Dawson

"anon" wrote in message
Hi
We have a MEM Consumer unit with a MEM 80A 30ma RCD (dual pole)
Question is are these RCD's standard size fitting across the different
manufactures
ie would a MK or WYLEX or VOLEX 80A 30ma Dual pole RCD fit this consumer
unit instead of the MEM one
Just wondering ?
Regards

The problem you may have is if you fit a different make module the testing
certificate ASTA, is invalid and may have a bearing if you have an accident
or fire in the installation. Why are you looking to change the RCD ??

anon

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"anon" wrote in message
Hi
We have a MEM Consumer unit with a MEM 80A 30ma RCD (dual pole)
Question is are these RCD's standard size fitting across the different
manufactures
ie would a MK or WYLEX or VOLEX 80A 30ma Dual pole RCD fit this consumer
unit instead of the MEM one
Just wondering ?
Regards

The problem you may have is if you fit a different make module the testing
certificate ASTA, is invalid and may have a bearing if you have an
accident or fire in the installation. Why are you looking to change the
RCD ??

The MK one I can buy from the local B&Q...For any MEM stuff I would have to
order it via the Web or ring them.....No problems as yet with the CU but
just thinking ahead in case I need any bits for it quickly..

Stephen Dawson

"anon" wrote in message
Hi
We have a MEM Consumer unit with a MEM 80A 30ma RCD (dual pole)
Question is are these RCD's standard size fitting across the different
manufactures
ie would a MK or WYLEX or VOLEX 80A 30ma Dual pole RCD fit this consumer
unit instead of the MEM one
Just wondering ?
Regards

The problem you may have is if you fit a different make module the
testing certificate ASTA, is invalid and may have a bearing if you have
an accident or fire in the installation. Why are you looking to change
the RCD ??

The MK one I can buy from the local B&Q...For any MEM stuff I would have
to order it via the Web or ring them.....No problems as yet with the CU
but just thinking ahead in case I need any bits for it quickly..

You should be ok with MEM, with carry them as stock parts, but they are
availible from most wholesalers.