Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default New consumer unit

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:02:21 +0000, wrote:

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 04:37:20 -0800 (PST), Martin Bonner wrote:

On Thursday, 11 February 2016 20:31:40 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Electricians do not use a cable stripper.

I'm interested to here why not. I'd have thought the ability to cut
90% of the way through the insulation, and then give it a tug to
pull it off would be a real time-saver. I don't think they're worth
it for DIY where it just doesn't happen often enough to matter.

Obviously you'd need different ones for different cable sizes (and it
might only be worth having the tool for 2.5mm cable). Hmm - that's actually
a possible explanation. A 2.5mm cable stripper would probably strip the
insulation from a 4.0mm cable - while leaving a very nasty nick on the
copper.

ISTR a sprung one being used at work, but it must have been for soft
insulation.

I have several pairs of the sort that grip the cable and then pull the
insulation off the end. Three are near enough identical, they're just
so useful that I have one on the boat, one in the garage and one in my
study. They are pretty effective from small (though not really tiny)
electronics wire up to 2.5sqmm mains cable. I have a slightly bigger
pair that manages stuff 2.5sqmm. The *only* disadvantage that I find
with them is that they do need a bit of space.

Yes, the space for strippers is a problem - the worst are the simple, flat
ones.
Also at work were some axial ones and they needed far less space than the
radial sort. Trouble was, they kept on breaking down.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away