Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New consumer unit

On Saturday, 13 February 2016 08:19:22 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

I can strip cables with nothing but a stanley knife, but I prefer to
work more comfortably if possible

Snag with using a sharp knife is its too easy to nick the conductor. With
the relatively blunt jaws of side cutters, you dont. As you don't actually
cut through the insulation with them.

True - I only go half way through with a knife then use cutters (on
10+mm2 cable that's tough.

My main point was "I *can* manage with a basic tool, but I'd rather have
an optimal tool when doing a lot" ;-)

I tend to prefer a knife. It does anything & everything, but takes a bit of practice. It's insulated, unlike many stanley types.

All types of stripper, including the old fashioned cutters, have their ups & downs, and I got fed up with bumping into their shortcomings.

The automatic ones are good over a limited size range, but useless outside of it. A good choice if you only work on a narow size range and it's not too big.

NT