Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I think I am going mad. (no don't answer that).

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

You might get a hole that only leaks above a certain pressure - so it
would be worth checking the tyre pressure now and see if it matches what
you put in it last night.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

Perhaps some of that rubber-solution-like material
intended to mend small punctures
had been inserted in the tyre at some point?

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 14:00:57 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

deos ambient temp and pressure effect such things ?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

Someone else's car....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

Sometimes a tyre will leak in one position but not another, depends
where the hole (if there is one) is and whether the flex of the tyre
changes the shape of it as it rotates.
It may also have become "detached" at the rim and then sealed itself
again with the rotation.
Had many a tyre over the years which would never leak while being used,
but would if left a few days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/01/2016 14:34, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Someone else's car....

A friend came round, complaining that the garage had just returned his
car minus his cassette tapes. I asked him what his registration number
was, went outside, and, sure enough, the garage had given him the wrong
car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Ah, must learn to read the post. I'd also go with the "different car"
theory then
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me back in his car,
when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I pumped it up with me trusty Halfords
inflator, but I could hear air hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught
coming out of the tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran
him home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a hole..in the
location where the air had been coming out (edge of the tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or hallucinogenic drugs
were involved (sadly ). He did run into his belligerent neighbours fence post
yesterday though...would a spike through the tread self heal?

The madness/mistake question should resolve itself as soon as he collects the
car and agres to the state of the tyre..

Assuming that is, that the tyre doesn't decide to deflate again in the
meantime.

In which case all bets are off.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/16 14:34, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

Someone else's car....

Nope. Got the same dents and ****.

When I started pumping it up it was WAY flatter than it is now, and its
been in my drive since then.

Must go and check all the tyre pressures

And the hole where we could feel the air ****ing out was nowhere near
the rim, it was the edge of the flat part of the tread

--
He who ****s in the road, will meet flies on his return.

"Mr Natural"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

Self repair fluid? Some makers use it.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

When I started pumping it up it was WAY flatter than it is now, and its
been in my drive since then.

That probably does away with the theory that it's a different car.

Must go and check all the tyre pressures

And the hole where we could feel the air ****ing out was nowhere near
the rim, it was the edge of the flat part of the tread

If there's a screw or nail in the tread, it may be sealing the hole. For
now. Temperature would make a difference to the sealing, and the tyre
might have got hot if it was driven whilst nearly flat.

The good news is that some holes in the tread, but not the side wall,
can be repaired for not a great deal. £10-ish. It would be best to
remove the wheel and get the tyre repaired, rather than driving on it
any more and buggering it up properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:56:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me
back in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I
pumped it up with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air
hissing out - we both did - and there was a draught coming out of the
tread at one point. However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him
home in mine, and this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike
through the tread self heal?

I've had a couple of bike tubes/tubular tyres that were OK when stationary
but went down when rolling. In those cases it was the valve - on one, just
moving the valve caused a hiss - but a car might have other causes.
Also, as ahs been said, the hole might unseal/seal at various pressures.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 17:09:31 UTC, GB wrote:

And the hole where we could feel the air ****ing out was nowhere near
the rim, it was the edge of the flat part of the tread

The good news is that some holes in the tread, but not the side wall,
can be repaired for not a great deal. £10-ish. It would be best to
remove the wheel and get the tyre repaired, rather than driving on it
any more and buggering it up properly.

Unfortunately, the "edge of the flat part of the tread" is one of those areas that are not allowed to be repaired.

I hardly ever wear tyres out - they always seem to get punctures and they are invariably near the edge of the tread:-(

I have had slow leaks from one fencing nail, one posidriv screw and several horseshoe nails. Also a cracked BT manhole cover caused instant deflation recently.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/01/2016 17:56, wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 17:09:31 UTC, GB wrote:

And the hole where we could feel the air ****ing out was nowhere
near the rim, it was the edge of the flat part of the tread

The good news is that some holes in the tread, but not the side
wall, can be repaired for not a great deal. £10-ish. It would be
best to remove the wheel and get the tyre repaired, rather than
driving on it any more and buggering it up properly.

Unfortunately, the "edge of the flat part of the tread" is one of
those areas that are not allowed to be repaired.

You are right. It depends how near the edge, though. See
http://www.blackcircles.com/general/repair

The middle 60-70% of the tread is repairable, it seems.

I hardly ever wear tyres out - they always seem to get punctures and
they are invariably near the edge of the tread:-(

I have had slow leaks from one fencing nail, one posidriv screw and
several horseshoe nails.

We have lovely grass sections of the pavements here, that unfortunately
some of my neighbours insist on parking (and ruining). I did think of
scattering the modern equivalent of caltrops on these grass patches,
namely posidriv screws, but that would probably be a mistake.

Also a cracked BT manhole cover caused
instant deflation recently.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2016 18:10, GB wrote:

We have lovely grass sections of the pavements here, that unfortunately
some of my neighbours insist on parking (and ruining). I did think of
scattering the modern equivalent of caltrops on these grass patches,
namely posidriv screws, but that would probably be a mistake.

They'll just get pushed into the mud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/01/2016 18:10, GB wrote:

We have lovely grass sections of the pavements here, that unfortunately
some of my neighbours insist on parking (and ruining). I did think of
scattering the modern equivalent of caltrops on these grass patches,
namely posidriv screws, but that would probably be a mistake.

They'll just get pushed into the mud.

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking space.
Unless people prefer to park there in preference to their own drives or
allocated space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are these those tyres which have a substance that hardens when the pressure
drops, ie its a get you home thing, but not to be trusted long term.
BMW seem to fit them on the new minis I understand, which begs the
question, are new mini owners more likely to drive over nails than owners of
other vehicles?
Brian

[...]

----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/16 19:14, Brian Gaff wrote:
Are these those tyres which have a substance that hardens when the
pressure drops, ie its a get you home thing, but not to be trusted long
term.

Dunno. far as I know they are after-market fitment on this Honda accord
2.3 my mate has.

BMW seem to fit them on the new minis I understand, which begs the
question, are new mini owners more likely to drive over nails than
owners of other vehicles?

Wouldn't you want to put caltrops in the way of my Mini owner.

Mind you a little red number parked next to me at S/market today and out
popped a dinky little brown number. Kerala I'd say.

Sigh. If I were 30 years younger...

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/01/2016 19:09, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?

What's actually happening is that people are insisting on parking on
both sides of the road. To leave room for traffic, they park on the
pavement. If they all parked the same side, there'd be room, both for
the traffic and the parked cars. Of course, some people would have to
walk all the way across the road to their front door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:26:27 +0000, GB wrote:

On 27/01/2016 19:09, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking
space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?

What's actually happening is that people are insisting on parking on
both sides of the road. To leave room for traffic, they park on the
pavement. If they all parked the same side, there'd be room, both for
the traffic and the parked cars. Of course, some people would have to
walk all the way across the road to their front door.

I'm notocing an increasing tendency to park *just* on the kerb. It saves
no real space. I think it's a modern replacement for the use of hazard
warning lights as a 'get out of jail free' card.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:26:27 +0000, GB wrote:

On 27/01/2016 19:09, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking
space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?

What's actually happening is that people are insisting on parking on
both sides of the road. To leave room for traffic, they park on the
pavement. If they all parked the same side, there'd be room, both for
the traffic and the parked cars. Of course, some people would have to
walk all the way across the road to their front door.

I'm notocing an increasing tendency to park *just* on the kerb. It
saves no real space. I think it's a modern replacement for the use of
hazard warning lights as a 'get out of jail free' card.

I live near a skool. The bimbo, thick as pig ****, child benefit claiming,
scum parents always jump the kerb to park.
Jumping the kerb to park whilst picking up their flat headed brats is
probably the only sensible thing they have done in all of their pointless
lives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2016 21:16, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Did you never have children or was your wife too proud to claim Child
Benefit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:20:48 +0000, Fredxxx wrote:

On 27/01/2016 21:16, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
I live near a skool. The bimbo, thick as pig ****, child benefit
claiming

Did you never have children or was your wife too proud to claim Child
Benefit?

Remember who you're talking to. His virginity remains unsullied.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:26:27 +0000, GB wrote:

On 27/01/2016 19:09, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking
space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?

What's actually happening is that people are insisting on parking on
both sides of the road. To leave room for traffic, they park on the
pavement. If they all parked the same side, there'd be room, both for
the traffic and the parked cars. Of course, some people would have to
walk all the way across the road to their front door.

I'm notocing an increasing tendency to park *just* on the kerb. It saves
no real space. I think it's a modern replacement for the use of hazard
warning lights as a 'get out of jail free' card.

And they often seem to do it even though there is plenty of room for two
lanes of traffic to pass.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:56:59 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Oh yes. The one I saw today had done it on double yellow lines (with two
verticals as well).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Oh, is the Pounder pillock still around?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Are these those tyres which have a substance that hardens when the
pressure drops, ie its a get you home thing, but not to be trusted long
term.
BMW seem to fit them on the new minis I understand, which begs the
question, are new mini owners more likely to drive over nails than owners
of other vehicles?

The new minis are shorter of space for the spare.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 27 January 2016 18:10:26 UTC, GB wrote:
On 27/01/2016 17:56, wrote:
[...]

put some massive stones there. Dig a hole for each so they can't be rolled.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2016 4:54 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

It is possible that there is a compromise in the tyre and that it only
'opens' during a part of the cycle of the wheel?

....Ray.

--
One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2016 6:10 PM, GB wrote:
On 27/01/2016 17:56, wrote:
[...]

Yep, had to repair a few of those unsightly issues and, only to find
that the driver has no issue in using the renewed turf.

Considering the vast green area local councils have to manage, it
makes me wonder if such kerb greens should be paved? These spots are
very localised, ie, single car parking.

Some, being quite deep and at times water logged could be filled with
a muddy mix of cement which should set nicely by morning, with the car
in it.

One click voting to change the world.
..https://secure.avaaz.org/en/index.php
Join Now! Be a part of people power.

Phase Conjugate Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3wwdmwv0zk

....and, Why You Know Nothing
http://www.delusionalinsects.com/sty...-32/index.html

Startpage - The PRIVATE Search Engine!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into
his belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a
spike through the tread self heal?

Someone else's car....

You are John Cleese [in the latest Specsavers TV ad] and I claim my
five pounds[1].

....yes, I know the door is over there. I'll get my coat and leave...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...my_five_pounds
--
Dennis Davis
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"GB" wrote in message
On 27/01/2016 14:34, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Someone else's car....

A friend came round, complaining that the garage had just returned his car
minus his cassette tapes. I asked him what his registration number was,
went outside, and, sure enough, the garage had given him the wrong car.

I once did that with a Citroen Berlingo. I had a massive hangover and I got
in the wrong van and set off to drive to the wholesalers for parts.

Christ knows how the keys fitted both vans.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 28 January 2016 01:39:23 UTC, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 27/01/2016 19:09, Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 19:01:19 +0000, NY wrote:

If people are parking on the grass, there is insufficient parking
space.

Umm, yes.

Have you been in many towns in the last - oooh - few decades?

What's actually happening is that people are insisting on parking on
both sides of the road. To leave room for traffic, they park on the
pavement. If they all parked the same side, there'd be room, both for
the traffic and the parked cars. Of course, some people would have to
walk all the way across the road to their front door.

Having everyone park on just one side of the road is a good scheme,
indeed if the road is narrow it's the only possible way.

How would yuo decide who is allowed to park and on what side.

You could get a tad radical and have signs on the side
of the road they can park on and different signs on the
side of the road that they aren't allowed to park on.

Thre;s two sides to my road

There is on most roads.

as there are houses opposite mine cars park outside each
house, so with your method one sdie of the houses would
have no parking space at all, not sure how that would work.

They all park on the same side of the road, stupid.

Only people that live in odd number houses are allowed
to park outside their homes so where do the others park

On the other side of the road, stupid.

or arent; they allowed cars.

On wider roads however it means there's only room for half as many cars
(compared to using both sides).

Since the basic problem is that there are lots & lots of cars...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 04:28:27 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

How would yuo decide who is allowed to park and on what side.

Yellow lines one side. And whoever gets there first.

The answer Rick Hughes[_5_] UK diy 3 June 28th 14 03:01 PM
Bit OT. Anyone know the answer ...? Arfa Daily UK diy 16 February 24th 13 11:06 PM
What is your answer ? Engineerz Junction[_2_] Metalworking 1 May 18th 12 01:19 PM
you ask and quran answer small giant Electronics Repair 9 January 12th 08 08:25 PM
RCA tv- anyone have an answer? Marlene Blanshay Electronics Repair 6 October 15th 03 07:28 AM