Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default I think I am going mad. (no don't answer that).

Are these those tyres which have a substance that hardens when the pressure
drops, ie its a get you home thing, but not to be trusted long term.
BMW seem to fit them on the new minis I understand, which begs the
question, are new mini owners more likely to drive over nails than owners of
other vehicles?
Brian

Last might I walked over to a friend of mine, and later on he ran me back
in his car, when we discovered a rear tyre was nearly flat. I pumped it up
with me trusty Halfords inflator, but I could hear air hissing out - we
both did - and there was a draught coming out of the tread at one point.
However it was dark so I left his car there, ran him home in mine, and
this morning went out to see how flat the tyre was.

Well it wasn't. Flat. The hiss wasn't there, there was no sign of a
hole..in the location where the air had been coming out (edge of the
tread)...

WTF is going on? Rational explanations only please, no alcohol or
hallucinogenic drugs were involved (sadly ). He did run into his
belligerent neighbours fence post yesterday though...would a spike through
the tread self heal?

"Saki"

--
----- -