Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How long does it take a locksmith to open a van with keys locked inside?

An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 11:38:27 AM UTC, MM wrote:
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

Vans still have key holes? All my door handles are just handles, there is just one keyhole under a cover so you can get the car open if the remote or car battery is dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"MM" wrote in message
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

I'm surprised that car/van locks are still made in such a way that it is
possible to lock the door with the keys inside. If the front doors are still
open, you'd think there would be an electronic override switch that would
open the rear door.

I've never locked my keys inside any vehicle because I *always* keep them in
my pocket apart from when I'm using them to open a door (assuming the remote
has failed) or to operate the ignition switch; and in the latter case I
always remove them as I am getting out of the car. I got into the habit of
never putting the keys down anywhere (especially inside the car) even for a
few seconds. Likewise if I shut a house door that has a Yale lock, I always
check that I have my keys in my pocket/hand before slamming the door. It's
an ingrained habit, just like giving the gear lever a waggle to confirm it's
in neutral before letting the clutch up at the end of a journey or before
starting the engine (though in our new car I can't stat the engine unless
the clutch is down).

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside, because
if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local scrote
car/van thieves.

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for servicing
had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting into the car
if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit of a fundamental
flaw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"MM" wrote in message

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside,
because if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local
scrote car/van thieves.

I can open a van vault in 30 seconds with a cordless drill and a 15mm metal
drill bit. There will be some damage to the lock..

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 12:50, ARW wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"MM" wrote in message

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside,
because if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local
scrote car/van thieves.

I can open a van vault in 30 seconds with a cordless drill and a 15mm
metal drill bit. There will be some damage to the lock..

Most scrotes jam a screwdriver into the lock and rotate the whole mass
in the door panel. (On one occasion the lock was reusable!)

10 secs tops! You're clearly not up to their standard! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

Given it might be carrying a valuable cargo, I'd expect it to be more
secure than the average van?

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 12:47:11 +0000, NY wrote:

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for
servicing had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting
into the car if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit
of a fundamental flaw.

I have a key with no blade, but one is concealed inside the fob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 02/01/2016 12:50, ARW wrote:
"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"MM" wrote in message

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside,
because if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local
scrote car/van thieves.

I can open a van vault in 30 seconds with a cordless drill and a 15mm
metal drill bit. There will be some damage to the lock..

Most scrotes jam a screwdriver into the lock and rotate the whole mass in
the door panel. (On one occasion the lock was reusable!)

10 secs tops! You're clearly not up to their standard! :-)

Van vaults or van doors?

I meant this van vault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF-T3zlLwy8

It's something you learn how to do when the apprentice has snapped the key
in the lock.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside, because if an
expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local scrote car/van thieves.

The reason is probably because he needs to leave the lock
is such a condition that the customer can carry on using
the van straight away. I don't know that much about locks
but possibly he might replace the cylinder meaning the
customer might have to carry an extra key until they
decide to get a matching cylinder at a later date.

Snatch thieves would be happy leaving the door hanging
off while twokkers and thieves would sort that all out
later if at all.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 2:19:53 PM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
MM wrote:
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

Given it might be carrying a valuable cargo, I'd expect it to be more
secure than the average van?

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

It may be a custom built van (Luton bodied or some such)in which case the make and type of locks is anybodies guess

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:12:58 -0000, Jonno wrote:

MM scribbled

An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

You could ask the locksmith...

Bit rude.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

How the **** is that rude?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:47:11 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I do exactly the same as above. I follow the Japanese train drive
principle where they gesture towards a lever before pulling it. I hold
the key(s) in my hand and look at them.

It's reassuring that the locksmith is taking so long to get inside, because
if an expert is having this much difficulty, so will the local scrote
car/van thieves.

Indeed. He said the only way to get in is to drill out the lock. I
wonder whether Amazon got the driver to return to base to pick up
another van. He could hardly carry on his round with potentially
thousands of pounds of goods in an unlocked van.

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for servicing
had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting into the car
if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit of a fundamental
flaw.

I did wonder why a large organisation like Amazon cannot open the van
remotely. I mean, we trust the internet to transmit data between a
cash point and the bank.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:12:58 -0000, Jonno wrote:

MM scribbled

An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

You could ask the locksmith...

Bit rude.

How the **** is that rude?

Trade secrets. Unlike with electrics and the fear of getting
electrocuted, the idea probably is that if locksmiths told joe
public too much, they could talk themselves out of a job. All
those Youtube videos are already bad enough, as it is

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message

Indeed. He said the only way to get in is to drill out the lock. I
wonder whether Amazon got the driver to return to base to pick up
another van. He could hardly carry on his round with potentially
thousands of pounds of goods in an unlocked van.

Just because it was painted "Amazon Logistics" on the side
doesn't necessarily mean it was owned by Amazon. Amazon contract
all their deliveries out, allowing competing suppliers to beat
each other down on price for the privilege of having Amazon
livery on their vans, which they doubtless pay for themselves.
Even in quiet times when the vans are sitting in the yard
and the zero hours drivers are sat at home by the phone.
What Amazon do have is first class tracking and comms which
allows them to keep tabs on what everyone's and everything is
up to. And while Amazon summoned up the locksmith to get the
van back on the road as quickly as possible it will have been
the delivery co. who doubtless will have picked up the tab.

City Link anyone ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, January 2, 2016 at 3:23:57 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
"MM" wrote in message
[...]

I live in a different world to most of you. My friend has twice locked himself out of his van, transit I think. He left the keys in the ignition and after a while the van locked itself, with him outside. Not too hard to get back in though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-02, michael adams wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message

[snippage]

How the **** is that rude?

Trade secrets. Unlike with electrics and the fear of getting
electrocuted, the idea probably is that if locksmiths told joe
public too much, they could talk themselves out of a job.

Yeah, right.

But then not everybody's like you, are they ? Quite happy to stop
whatever it was you were doing at the time, and explain it all in
detail to anyone who cared to ask.

No wonder you were so popular and happy in your work.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2016 19:35, Richard wrote:
"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

When Amazon stops ripping off Britain then I would worry about cutting
them a square deal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee
and the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire
hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

Then, you would starve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:47:11 -0000, NY wrote:

I'm surprised that car/van locks are still made in such a way that it is
possible to lock the door with the keys inside. If the front doors are
still open, you'd think there would be an electronic override switch
that would open the rear door.

This is a delivery van. It would make sense for the cargo doors to be
slam lock. a) it's quicker b) means the cargo area is aways locked.
Having an overide switch defeats this. B-)

I've never locked my keys inside any vehicle because I *always* keep
them in my pocket apart from when I'm using them to open a door
(assuming the remote has failed) or to operate the ignition switch;

How quaint. B-) My "key" stays in my pocket all the time. I just
wish the tactile markings on the buttons was a bit better. The
buttons are only raised or lowered and the "panic" button feels the
same as "unlock" and in the diagonally opposite corner of the 2 x 3
array of six buttons.

I got into the habit of never putting the keys down anywhere (especially
inside the car) even for a few seconds.

When I had a real key Inside the car it would go straight into the
ignition. The danger area is the boot, open boot to get something,
need both hands, put down keys... I think this car "knows" if the
keys are in the boot and will not slam lock if they are. I must check
that the spare "key" works and test this.

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for
servicing had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting
into the car if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit
of a fundamental flaw.

My "key" has a blade hidden away inside and a (singular) key hole on
the car that is normally covered by a cap. Or maybe take the blade
from the key and see how that system works as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Richard wrote:

You are talking ********.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:14:17 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:12:58 -0000, Jonno wrote:

MM scribbled

An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

You could ask the locksmith...

Bit rude.

How the **** is that rude?

He could be offended. Because he sees it as a slight.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 19:08:00 +0000, soup
wrote:

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

I'd open the door as soon as I could. The attitude you appear to
condone is sadly redolent among many so-called professionals nowadays,
which is one reason why people turn to d-i-y whenever they can.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!
What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

When Amazon stops ripping off Britain then I would worry about cutting
them a square deal.

How on earth is Amazon ripping off Britain? They adhere to the tax
laws to the letter. If the tax laws are constructed in such a way that
legal loopholes are created, then I would recommend anyone to use
them. Did YOU never try to save tax?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 20:44:50 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Richard wrote:
"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee
and the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire
hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

Then, you would starve.

That's not true. You don't have to rip people off to make a living.
You just need to a good job at a decent price, which may not be the
lowest quote, be reliable and finish when you said you would.

Not hard.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 15:14:17 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Much more likely that he would tell you why it takes longer than you expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!
What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee and
the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire hour
for.
I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

When Amazon stops ripping off Britain then I would worry about cutting
them a square deal.

How on earth is Amazon ripping off Britain? They adhere to the tax
laws to the letter. If the tax laws are constructed in such a way that
legal loopholes are created,

It isnt a legal loophole, its actually a problem with forcing
multinationals to pay the tax they should be paying when
its so easy to appear to be earning the profit in the jurisdiction
that pays no corporate income tax or a much lower rate of that.

then I would recommend anyone to use
them. Did YOU never try to save tax?

I have never avoided tax completely like Amazon, Apple etc do all the time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The AA seem to be the experts at opening vehicles without expensive damage
as they have a database of keys and how to create one.

Not sure why they would call a normal locksmith, unless they are to
cheapskate to sign up their drivers to a motoring organisation of course :-)
Brian

"MM" wrote in message
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:47:11 -0000, NY wrote:

I'm surprised that car/van locks are still made in such a way that it is
possible to lock the door with the keys inside. If the front doors are
still open, you'd think there would be an electronic override switch
that would open the rear door.

This is a delivery van. It would make sense for the cargo doors to be
slam lock. a) it's quicker b) means the cargo area is aways locked.
Having an overide switch defeats this. B-)

Post Office Vauxhall Combos are modified so that the back door can only be
opened with the van key.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
The AA seem to be the experts at opening vehicles without expensive
damage as they have a database of keys and how to create one.

Not sure why they would call a normal locksmith, unless they are to
cheapskate to sign up their drivers to a motoring organisation of
course :-)
Brian

Probably an auto locksmith.

As has been suggested, these probably aren't the standard van locks,
hence needing a specialist and taking longer.

I think most cars (and maybe standard vans?) can be got into using the
shaped metal strip down the side of the window to release the catch
technique
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2016 10:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
The AA seem to be the experts at opening vehicles without expensive
damage as they have a database of keys and how to create one.

Not sure why they would call a normal locksmith, unless they are to
cheapskate to sign up their drivers to a motoring organisation of course
:-)
Brian

"MM" wrote in message
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

The locksmith is unique in that the average person will probably only
need his services once or twice in their lifetime, at which point it
will be super urgent, and maybe in the middle of the night. Great that
there's someone out there to get you out of trouble, but expect to pay
through the nose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
"soup" wrote in message ...

On 02/01/2016 11:38, MM wrote:
Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

What would you do ? Open it in two minutes and get just the call-out
fee or spin the job out to sixteen minutes and get the call-out fee
and the first part of an hour that you are able to charge an entire
hour for.

I'd do the job I was asked to do, without ripping off the customer.

Then, you would starve.

I haven't yet.
Anyway, thanks for adding to the list of your attributes as being a thieving
****e.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 11:07:52 +0000, Chris French wrote:

I think most cars (and maybe standard vans?) can be got into using the
shaped metal strip down the side of the window to release the catch
technique

A 12" steel rule with diagonal upward facing slot in the edge at one
end.

I think any car less than 10 years old has bits of plastic shroud to
prevent the link wires from the interior handle from being
manipulated.

It doesn't work if the car is hard locked. Many cars have two lock
states these days, a "soft" lock where the interior handle will open
the door, used when driving through dodgy areas and a "hard" lock
where it doesn't and all the alarms and imobilsation is set. Often
the first press of a remote only performs a soft lock a second press
is required for a hard lock. There may be a time out on the soft lock
to hard lock if the car thinks it is empty, the ignition is off etc.

Not that works if the door is locked

or they use a bowden cable or dead lAny modern car has plastic bits

end
--
Chris French

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-01-03, stuart noble wrote:

[26 lines snipped]

The locksmith is unique in that the average person will probably only
need his services once or twice in their lifetime, at which point it
will be super urgent, and maybe in the middle of the night. Great that
there's someone out there to get you out of trouble, but expect to pay
through the nose.

When my elderly M-I-L locked herself out of the house, I did't mind that
the locksmith she summoned (and it occurs to me that I have no idea how,
since she didn't have a mobile) charged her £99 to drill out the lock and
fit a new one. What I did (and do) mind is that they fitted a non-standard
lock that only they could supply keys for.

**** you, Totteridge & Whetstone Locksmiths.

(Oh, and I changed your stupid lock back for a standard one.)

Bit retarded aren't you. The added security of having a sole source for keys
is of benefit to the occupier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...

On 03/01/2016 08:09, MM wrote:

He could be offended. Because he sees it as a slight.

MM

You just ask him how long and will it be long enough to make tea.

Ooh look! Another **** who thinks everyone has lowlife standards equivalent
to his.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
An Amazon Logistics delivery van came earlier to deliver a parcel. I
noticed that the van was still parked outside, blocking my drive, 30
minutes later. I asked the driver what was the problem, and he said
he'd locked his keys in the back of the van. Amazon sent an emergency
locksmith, who arrived 10 minutes ago. I'm rather surprised that he
hasn't got it open yet!

I don't need to go anywhere in a hurry, but as a matter of interest,
is it THAT difficult to open a van nowadays?

The locksmith is working on the side door, not the rear. (Not the
passenger door, the side door to the storage area.)

MM

Has he got it open yet?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2016 11:07, Chris French wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
The AA seem to be the experts at opening vehicles without expensive
damage as they have a database of keys and how to create one.

Not sure why they would call a normal locksmith, unless they are to
cheapskate to sign up their drivers to a motoring organisation of
course :-)
Brian

Probably an auto locksmith.

As has been suggested, these probably aren't the standard van locks,
hence needing a specialist and taking longer.

I think most cars (and maybe standard vans?) can be got into using the
shaped metal strip down the side of the window to release the catch
technique

That used to be true but not with cars fitted with dead locks as most
new ones are these days.
Not that you needed to do that as most old ones could be opened using a
spoon handle as one shocked motorist found out when I extracted his keys
from a locked car.