Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long does it take a locksmith to open a van with keys locked inside?

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 12:47:11 -0000, NY wrote:

I'm surprised that car/van locks are still made in such a way that it is
possible to lock the door with the keys inside. If the front doors are
still open, you'd think there would be an electronic override switch
that would open the rear door.

This is a delivery van. It would make sense for the cargo doors to be
slam lock. a) it's quicker b) means the cargo area is aways locked.
Having an overide switch defeats this. B-)

I've never locked my keys inside any vehicle because I *always* keep
them in my pocket apart from when I'm using them to open a door
(assuming the remote has failed) or to operate the ignition switch;

How quaint. B-) My "key" stays in my pocket all the time. I just
wish the tactile markings on the buttons was a bit better. The
buttons are only raised or lowered and the "panic" button feels the
same as "unlock" and in the diagonally opposite corner of the 2 x 3
array of six buttons.

I got into the habit of never putting the keys down anywhere (especially
inside the car) even for a few seconds.

When I had a real key Inside the car it would go straight into the
ignition. The danger area is the boot, open boot to get something,
need both hands, put down keys... I think this car "knows" if the
keys are in the boot and will not slam lock if they are. I must check
that the spare "key" works and test this.

A car that I borrowed from my local garage when my car was in for
servicing had a key that had no blade and so there was no way of getting
into the car if the remote key or the car battery failed. Seemed a bit
of a fundamental flaw.

My "key" has a blade hidden away inside and a (singular) key hole on
the car that is normally covered by a cap. Or maybe take the blade
from the key and see how that system works as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.