Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Going round B&Q

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted
elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.

Not true of our equivalent.

Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

I know a couple that do. Pretty decent extension to their house in fact.

And restoring old cars too.

(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Haven't noticed anyone under about 40 but that isn't
that surprising given that few of the kids have even
heard of usenet. Plenty on facebook into DIY tho.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 08:29, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

IMLE the under forties are not great DIY'ers, i believe the latest
acronym is DIFM (do it for me).

From what i can see, under 40's get their dad's and mom's to do it for
them, as with much of the rest of their lives, e.g university funding,
housing deposits and more (the bank of mum and dad and all that).

That said, as a rider, i am sure there are exceptions to that trend but
i haven't personally observed much of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 09:50, Balie McWheeble wrote:
On 22/08/2015 08:29, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the
price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

IMLE the under forties are not great DIY'ers, i believe the latest
acronym is DIFM (do it for me).

From what i can see, under 40's get their dad's and mom's to do it for
them, as with much of the rest of their lives, e.g university funding,
housing deposits and more (the bank of mum and dad and all that).

That said, as a rider, i am sure there are exceptions to that trend but
i haven't personally observed much of it.

Don't forget childcare, which is becoming the norm if the number of old
gits pushing prams is anything to go by. Prams? I mean buggies, the BMWs
of child transport
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 10:05, stuart noble wrote:
On 22/08/2015 09:50, Balie McWheeble wrote:
On 22/08/2015 08:29, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the
price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

IMLE the under forties are not great DIY'ers, i believe the latest
acronym is DIFM (do it for me).

From what i can see, under 40's get their dad's and mom's to do it for
them, as with much of the rest of their lives, e.g university funding,
housing deposits and more (the bank of mum and dad and all that).

That said, as a rider, i am sure there are exceptions to that trend but
i haven't personally observed much of it.

Don't forget childcare, which is becoming the norm if the number of old
gits pushing prams is anything to go by. Prams? I mean buggies, the BMWs
of child transport

Very true but i did say, e.g.... 'and more'

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 August 2015 08:29:48 UTC+1, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price
of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.
But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

Old people use their B&Q Pensioner Discount.

Young people use the internet.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 00:29:45 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

Was it Wednesday? That's when over 60s get 10% off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 08:29, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.

Had you considered that they might well be at work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Balie McWheeble wrote:
IMLE the under forties are not great DIY'ers, i believe the latest
acronym is DIFM (do it for me).

From what i can see, under 40's get their dad's and mom's to do it for
them, as with much of the rest of their lives, e.g university funding,
housing deposits and more (the bank of mum and dad and all that).

Average first time buyer age is now 37. Rental properties typically don't
allow you to DIY, can kick you out with 2 months notice, or use your DIY as
a reason to raise the rent.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

Was it Wednesday? That's when over 60s get 10% off.

When my father in law was coming up to his 60th birthday... i was
scratching my head hard for a present with a difference....

Then a brainwave came to me when I was in B&Q....

On my FIL's birthday, I gave him his present and a birthday card...

The message in the card was:

"A Diamond present for a Diamond Geezer on his Diamond birthday"

ANd the present was a wrapped up B&Q over 60's discount card!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price
of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She told me
that they do not employ anyone under 60.
Far more reliable in their experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the
price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

No. They've been indoctrinated to think that everything can be done in
software.

(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Of course not - haven't you noticed by all the extreme right wing views?

Typical of old farts.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nick wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

--
*And the cardiologist' s diet: - If it tastes good spit it out.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

In article ,
harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the
price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

No. They've been indoctrinated to think that everything can be done in
software.

(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Of course not - haven't you noticed by all the extreme right wing views?

Where are these?

Typical of old farts.

You must be one yourself, but from your left wing views you must be one of
the old wet farts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 August 2015 16:18:22 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

Nobody owned up to not being an old git yet I see.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

+1 for the last five years ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable
in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

Nobody owned up to not being an old git yet I see.

I'm 64 this year and a grumpy old ****.
Does this qualify?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the
price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?

No. They've been indoctrinated to think that everything can be done in
software.

No they haven't. My 14 year old neighbour just borrowed my hot melt gun.

(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Of course not - haven't you noticed by all the extreme right wing views?

Plenty of kids have those.

Typical of old farts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable
in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

Nobody owned up to not being an old git yet I see.

Hardly surprising given that the kids are on facebook etc instead of usenet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2015 12:46, Nick wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price
of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She told me
that they do not employ anyone under 60.
Far more reliable in their experience.

If you get some guy who's been laying bricks for 40 years he'll probably
have picked up some knowledge about the industry.

Along with a bad back which will make laying bricks a bit hard...

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 August 2015 08:29:48 UTC+1, harry wrote:
Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Define 'young'? I'm under 40 and do DIY. You would unlikely find me in B&Q though. Perhaps it is only the over-40s that have not realised there are better/cheaper places to purchase from? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Old gits are far more reliable than the youngsters these days. They
start work on time, don't bugger off early or take sickies at any
opportunity. Altogether a better quality of employee.

Very true.
The mystery is how they manage to tolerate the "music".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

I disagree.
The "grumpy old" imparts a sort of cuteness, as does old git. Pounder is
just a **** who happens to be 64.
HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

And those tend to be the sort that B&Q employ. Retired on a pension and
simply want something to occupy their time. Nothing wrong with that of
course, but it does allow them to pay wages a younger person couldn't live
on.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Was in B&Q the other day. (Found what I wanted elsewhere at half the price of B&Q) Ripoff merchants
.

But I noticed there was no-one in there young. They were all old gits.
Does no-one young do any DIY these days?
(Is there anyone young on this newsgroup come to that?)

Old gits are far more reliable than the youngsters these days. They
start work on time, don't bugger off early or take sickies at any
opportunity. Altogether a better quality of employee.

Very true.
The mystery is how they manage to tolerate the "music".

Probably deaf.

Ideal for answering questions from customers, then.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article3NGdndypBJUmD0XInZ2dnUU78KGdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
A while back I was talking to the manager of the Exmouth branch. She
told me that they do not employ anyone under 60. Far more reliable in
their experience.

And likely cheaper. Working for beer money.

Ah, I see, your usual antipathy for people who actually are prepared to
work.

And your usual knack of being unable to see the point.

BTW, why aren't you at work? Last we heard you worked 24/7. Or was that
just another lie?

Some of us worked hard enough to be able to retire and only work at DIY.

And those tend to be the sort that B&Q employ. Retired on a pension and
simply want something to occupy their time. Nothing wrong with that of
course, but it does allow them to pay wages a younger person couldn't live
on.

B & Q wages are not age dependent. They also employ young people.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

I assumed he meant that an "old person" couldn't live on it either, but
because they also have a pension, they don't need to

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

That should be in the Wiki:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
And those tend to be the sort that B&Q employ. Retired on a pension and
simply want something to occupy their time. Nothing wrong with that of
course, but it does allow them to pay wages a younger person couldn't
live
on.

B & Q wages are not age dependent. They also employ young people.

And that will be age dependant. Like all those who pay minimum wages.

I assumed he meant that an "old person" couldn't live on it either, but
because they also have a pension, they don't need to

Quite. I know of several retired people on pensions who work just to give
them something to do.

Of course many on here would approve of that - but not 'foreigners'
willing to work for a low wage.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:

wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In articleK7WdnR7LhfWY7kXInZ2dnUU78fednZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

No he's saying that B & Q pay low wages and should be made to pay more
so that his ilk can do as little as possible and still buy a new car
every year. The real commercial world is beyond Dave's comprehension so
he whinges about trade union people being hard done by on every possible
occasion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
No he's saying that B & Q pay low wages and should be made to pay more
so that his ilk can do as little as possible and still buy a new car
every year.

My 'ilk'? Have you got any idea how much it costs to rent these days? I'd
guess the answer is no. You'll have no idea about how hard it is for
youngsters these days trying to get a start in life.

The real commercial world is beyond Dave's comprehension so
he whinges about trade union people being hard done by on every possible
occasion.

If the retail sector was unionised, they might get a better deal. Not that
you'd care - talk about 'I'm alright Jack'.

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
Capitol wrote

No he's saying that B & Q pay low wages and should
be made to pay more so that his ilk can do as little as
possible and still buy a new car every year.

My 'ilk'? Have you got any idea how much it costs to rent these
days? I'd guess the answer is no. You'll have no idea about how
hard it is for youngsters these days trying to get a start in life.

So they stay where they were when they were in school until
they get a job that pays well enough to rent. Hardly the end
of civilisation as we know it.

The real commercial world is beyond Dave's comprehension
so he whinges about trade union people being hard done by
on every possible occasion.

If the retail sector was unionised, they might get a better deal.

Pigs might fly, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the retail sector was unionised, they might get a better deal. Not that
you'd care - talk about 'I'm alright Jack'.

That's the problem. Some of the powerful unions overplay their hand
(NUM, RMT) but not all (ASLEF is fairly balanced).

Then you get the un-unionised retail sector and here's what you get:

Huge staff turnover;

Cheap(er) EU shop staff (cf. my experience in SportsDirect the other day
- went in for 3 things, useless bloke could barely string a sentence
together nor understand me. Came out with one thing because it took so
long, not helped by their Soviet system of taking payment. Won't be
going there again, but I doubt my lack of custom will change their policy).

And waiters definitely need a union - I saw a story the other day that
Cote don't pass ANY of their service charge onto waiting staff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I saw a story the other day that
Cote don't pass ANY of their service charge onto waiting staff.

I'd never heard of Cote, but their wibble says ...

"We can confirm that, contrary to recent press reports, Côte distributes
the service charge income to the restaurant level employees at which the
service charge was collected."