Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default low level and high level toilets

Hello,

I would quite like a low level or high level toilet. I had some close
coupled toilets in the past, and I know it is not an every day
occurrence, but when they play up, they can be a pain to take apart
and put back together again without leaking.

Does anyone know where to get low and high level toilets? I saw a LL
toilet in Travis Perkins. It was about £60 for the pan and another £60
for the cistern. It was the Twyford brand (not sure if that means
anything nowadays?).

The problem is, as others have said here before, is that seeing it
"dry" doesn't give any indication of how good it is in use.

I cannot see many high level ones (I was looking at web sites found
via google) and the ones I can find are over £300. Why is this?
Couldn't I just get a LL one, buy a longer pipe, and fit the cistern
higher? (I appreciate a high level cistern will present its own
problems if I have to repair it).

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:07:17 +0100, Stephen wrote:

[...]

I think the high level ones are a 'fashion statement' - seem to be in Grand
Disasters and such.
I've been wondering if it's possible, without too much of an obvious bodge,
to modify a close-coupled cistern to make a low-level one. There's room to
move the cistern up about 10", which would give a good boost to the head
(sorry), but the appearance of the pan might be off-putting.

I made the mistake of changing a high-level cistern for a low-level one. The
lower velocity of the water tended to ram the solids into a blockage rather
than entrain them.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:27:56 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief wrote:

One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.
My understanding, until fairly recently, was that any deposits
would, as part of a pan's design, be cleanly removed during the
flushing process.
Having bought an Ideal Standard close coupled unit, I was annoyed
to note that a triangle at the front of the pan was not being
cleaned by the flush action. I was informed by Ideal's customer
services that this model was not self cleaning and that there is
no specific requirement for them to be so. If I had known this I
would not have bought this model. From memory there is/was a
percentage of the bowl area that must be cleaned and the model
purchased performed within defined limits.

So , yet another question that you shouldn't need to ask and
wouldn't think should even be a consideration.

Caveat emptor rules

It's eay to see if the pan is made so that there aren't skid marks by
design, e.g. the back of the pan needs to be vertical - I've seen one where
the back sloped right in and the front was almost vertical!
Flushing, however, is a different matter. You can't 'try before you buy'
and, in most cases the salesdroids don't know (reasonable) and the
information (pref. as a video) isn't available (unreasonable).

It's probably a case of finding something on-line and e-mailing the supplier
to ask, then there's a record of any claim. However, buying on that basis
and finding out the flushing is not as claimed is not a practicable process.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief writes:
One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.

Toilets with self-cleaning coatings have been available for a couple
of decades now. In countries where the bloke traditionally cleans the
toilet, self-cleaning coatings are universal. In countries where the
woman traditionally cleans the toilet, toilets with self-cleaning
coatings are all but impossible to find.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief writes:
One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.

Toilets with self-cleaning coatings have been available for a couple
of decades now. In countries where the bloke traditionally cleans the
toilet,

Which are those ?

Japan is top of the list, but I believe the market is across
many of the similar more civilsed asian countries.

self-cleaning coatings are universal. In countries where the
woman traditionally cleans the toilet, toilets with self-cleaning
coatings are all but impossible to find.

Watched a program about different toilet designs, probably 10 years ago.
A toilet manufacturer which manufactures for most of the world was asked
why they don't supply them here. Answer was that it's men who usually
buy toilets, and they only perceive there's an issue in the countries
where they usually have to clean the toilet themselves. In other
countries, they regard the toilet as self-cleaning anyway, as it
apprently cleans itself up when they aren't looking. Hence no market
for self-cleaning toilets here.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief writes:
One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.

Toilets with self-cleaning coatings have been available for a couple
of decades now. In countries where the bloke traditionally cleans the
toilet,

Which are those ?

Japan is top of the list,

I just don't believe that all the toilets
in Japan are cleaned by the blokes.

but I believe the market is across
many of the similar more civilsed asian countries.

I don't believe that either with Korea or China or Vietnam.

self-cleaning coatings are universal. In countries where the
woman traditionally cleans the toilet, toilets with self-cleaning
coatings are all but impossible to find.

Watched a program about different toilet designs, probably 10 years ago.
A toilet manufacturer which manufactures for most of the world was asked
why they don't supply them here. Answer was that it's men who usually
buy toilets,

Yes.

and they only perceive there's an issue in the countries
where they usually have to clean the toilet themselves.

Don't believe that.

In other countries, they regard the toilet as self-cleaning anyway,
as it apprently cleans itself up when they aren't looking.

Or that either, particularly when they are sharing flats etc.

Hence no market for self-cleaning toilets here.

Don't believe that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

installing a new toilet- question, almost done, took level andnoticed not level..??help KOS Home Repair 21 January 8th 19 07:14 AM
How do I level freestanding shelves on a floor that's not level, tokeep them from falling over? [email protected] Home Repair 16 April 30th 14 05:45 PM
high level cistern Stephen[_6_] UK diy 18 March 21st 14 08:28 AM
High level bog cistern Tim S UK diy 9 August 14th 09 03:51 PM
Frustration level: high Dukester Woodworking 16 February 7th 05 12:56 AM