Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheChief TheChief is offline

Default low level and high level toilets

PeterC Wrote in message:
On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 11:07:17 +0100, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I would quite like a low level or high level toilet. I had some close
coupled toilets in the past, and I know it is not an every day
occurrence, but when they play up, they can be a pain to take apart
and put back together again without leaking.

Does anyone know where to get low and high level toilets? I saw a LL
toilet in Travis Perkins. It was about £60 for the pan and another £60
for the cistern. It was the Twyford brand (not sure if that means
anything nowadays?).

The problem is, as others have said here before, is that seeing it
"dry" doesn't give any indication of how good it is in use.

I cannot see many high level ones (I was looking at web sites found
via google) and the ones I can find are over £300. Why is this?
Couldn't I just get a LL one, buy a longer pipe, and fit the cistern
higher? (I appreciate a high level cistern will present its own
problems if I have to repair it).

Thanks,
Stephen.

I think the high level ones are a 'fashion statement' - seem to be in Grand
Disasters and such.
I've been wondering if it's possible, without too much of an obvious bodge,
to modify a close-coupled cistern to make a low-level one. There's room to
move the cistern up about 10", which would give a good boost to the head
(sorry), but the appearance of the pan might be off-putting.

I made the mistake of changing a high-level cistern for a low-level one. The
lower velocity of the water tended to ram the solids into a blockage rather
than entrain them.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.
My understanding, until fairly recently, was that any deposits
would, as part of a pan's design, be cleanly removed during the
flushing process.
Having bought an Ideal Standard close coupled unit, I was annoyed
to note that a triangle at the front of the pan was not being
cleaned by the flush action. I was informed by Ideal's customer
services that this model was not self cleaning and that there is
no specific requirement for them to be so. If I had known this I
would not have bought this model. From memory there is/was a
percentage of the bowl area that must be cleaned and the model
purchased performed within defined limits.

So , yet another question that you shouldn't need to ask and
wouldn't think should even be a consideration.

Caveat emptor rules

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----