Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default low level and high level toilets

On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 11:27:56 +0100 (GMT+01:00), TheChief wrote:

One issue I would be aware of is the requirement (or not) for pans
to be self cleaning.
My understanding, until fairly recently, was that any deposits
would, as part of a pan's design, be cleanly removed during the
flushing process.
Having bought an Ideal Standard close coupled unit, I was annoyed
to note that a triangle at the front of the pan was not being
cleaned by the flush action. I was informed by Ideal's customer
services that this model was not self cleaning and that there is
no specific requirement for them to be so. If I had known this I
would not have bought this model. From memory there is/was a
percentage of the bowl area that must be cleaned and the model
purchased performed within defined limits.

So , yet another question that you shouldn't need to ask and
wouldn't think should even be a consideration.

Caveat emptor rules

It's eay to see if the pan is made so that there aren't skid marks by
design, e.g. the back of the pan needs to be vertical - I've seen one where
the back sloped right in and the front was almost vertical!
Flushing, however, is a different matter. You can't 'try before you buy'
and, in most cases the salesdroids don't know (reasonable) and the
information (pref. as a video) isn't available (unreasonable).

It's probably a case of finding something on-line and e-mailing the supplier
to ask, then there's a record of any claim. However, buying on that basis
and finding out the flushing is not as claimed is not a practicable process.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away