Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default installing a new toilet- question, almost done, took level andnoticed not level..??help

Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Do you slide off when you sit on it? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

So long as you have a good seal at the base where the wax ring is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

While I am supposed to say it needs to be "perfectly level", I think I will
be honest and say if it flushes fine go have a cold drink and forget it.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Hmmm,
Perfectlt level thing atround house is rare. If it flushes fine and
there no leak, I wouldn't worry. Maybe your level is not perfect either,
LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level
and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise
as to what
should be done, thanks

While I am supposed to say it needs to be "perfectly level",
I think I will
be honest and say if it flushes fine go have a cold drink
and forget it.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

" KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

I wouldn't worry if it flushes properly. My house is nearly 200 years old -
I worry when something actually IS level, since nothing ever has been!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in news:NwFFn.18799$IA1.11248
@newsfe06.ams2:

KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Do you slide off when you sit on it? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't wax the seat, and you won't slide off.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does not matter if the fixture is off level. The water in your tank
and bowl will always be level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 May 2010 16:46:10 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Hmmm,
Perfectlt level thing atround house is rare. If it flushes fine and
there no leak, I wouldn't worry. Maybe your level is not perfect either,
LOL!

Sometimes I use my eyeball level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:48*pm, KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

If it is off front to back, noone will ever know. If it is off left
to right, can you see it, or does it only show when you use the level?

If you can't live with it, remove the toilet, get a NEW wax ring and
use a couple of shims under the toilet to level it as needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 3:56*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any
of that would happen? Right at zero I would say.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Hmmm,
Perfectlt level thing atround house is rare. If it flushes fine and
there no leak, I wouldn't worry. Maybe your level is not perfect either,
LOL!

Sometimes I use my eyeball level.

I have removed, reinstalled, and installed new ones. I must have done
them all wrong. Never layed a level on any of them.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't be that sure.... I've seen some buildings that
were that far off.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in
the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4
GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level
that any
of that would happen? Right at zero I would say.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KOS" wrote in message
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Pee on the low side and it will level out the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks
Hmmm,
Perfectlt level thing atround house is rare. If it flushes fine and
there no leak, I wouldn't worry. Maybe your level is not perfect either,
LOL!

Sometimes I use my eyeball level.

I have removed, reinstalled, and installed new ones. I must have done
them all wrong. Never layed a level on any of them.

Harry K

Yeah, if the floor and the top of the flange are level, the toilet
pretty much will be, too.

I'd only bother to reach for the level if I had to replace bathroom
floor and/or install a repair flange or something. But if the place is
THAT bad off, it is probably gonna get a whole new waste line run
anyway, back to decent looking pipe somewhere.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 10:43*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

Hi, I have already installed the toilet and took a level and see that
it is not exactlyl level..does this matter? please advise as to what
should be done, thanks

Pee on the low side and it will level out the water.

You must have incredibly thick pee.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any
of that would happen? Right at zero I would say.

Harry K

It might be that way during an earthquake.

Or afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any
of that would happen? *Right at zero I would say.

Harry K

It might be that way during an earthquake.

Or afterwards.

It would have to be _something_ on that order of magnitude.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any
of that would happen? *Right at zero I would say.

Harry K

It might be that way during an earthquake.

Or afterwards.

It would have to be _something_ on that order of magnitude.

Harry K

That's why you should keep an extra wax ring, in case of an
earthquaake.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Might interfere with operation of the overflow drain, or
fill valve? Tipped one way, the over flow drain is up in the
sky, so the tank over flows over the top. Tipped the other
way, the tank doesn't get a good fill, so you have a 1.4 GPF
toilet, that doesn't move solids down the drain.

What is the possibility that it wouild be _so far_ off level that any
of that would happen? *Right at zero I would say.

Harry K

It might be that way during an earthquake.

Or afterwards.

It would have to be _something_ on that order of magnitude.

Harry K

That's why you should keep an extra wax ring, in case of an
earthquaake.- Hide quoted text -

No, No! If you use a waxless one, you can shim the toilet back level
and won't break the seal

Hary K
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to KOS, Lev L. John wrote:
A level toilet matters to proper flushimg
An off level toilet can cause the water to slosh side to side, making a poor
siphon. you want that vortex to go straight down to make a.strong siphon
through the trap and out. Those drain holes under the rim are angled to induce
the swirling vortex motion. unlevel units will set that vortex of water
rocking side to side when you flush, causing it to enter the trap more slowly
and making a weak siphon.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-a-441136-.htm